The Colony, Texas
United States
Playtri
Total Time = 1h 16m 37s
Overall Rank = 73/300
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm. Laid around in bed and then decided to get up. Might as well get to a race when the transition area opens. :)

Made some breakfast and drove over. It was nice only driving 20 minutes to a race.
Event warmup:

Got in the pool and swam 600 meters. It usually takes me a good 800-1000 to start feeling right in the water. Warmed up and got out when the pre-race meeting was due to start (6:45). It didn't start until 7:15 ish, so I got good and cooled off before the swim. HA!

Also, Tim (#96) told me that his goal was to catch me on the bike and to beat me. That was his only goal. HA!
Swim
  • 06m 7s
  • 350 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got in when it was my turn to go and swam. After about 150 the guy behind me, #57, passed me. I decided he was NOT going to get away so I drafted off him the rest of the swim. Drafting = swallowing a lot of water thanks to his kick. Blah.

With about 100 left to go, we came on some guy. #57 passed him on the left and we were coming up to a wall, where we needed to go right to get in the next lane.

So I stayed behind the guy and played with his feet. It was pretty obvious I was doing it on purpose. We get to the wall. Does he stop? NO! UUGGGGH! So I then had pass him at the all and fight to get around him. What an a-hole.

During the last 50 me and #57 came on some slow swimmers. He went left and went inbetween them. I went right. So we were 4 people across the lane. I then went for the side of the pool and pulled myself out. Screw the ladder!
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

AG Rank: 5 out of 24.

So we had a REALLY LONG run from the pool to transition. My goal was to have a fast transition so I was running out of the pool area.

Just as I hit the door, a 2 year old boy is standing RIGHT IN THE DOORWAY! COME ON! I mean, he's in this narrow doorway and there are flags on either side exiting the door (aka: NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED). I start yelling, "YOU HAVE GOT TO MOVE!" Of course, being a child he doesn't.

So I somehow get around him and he moves off to the side.

Listen up parents, I was nice. Other racers who are working for a podium spot will not be. They will knock your kid over in a heart beat. Keep your eyes on your kids!

Got to where my bike was racked and got out of transition as fast as I could.

#57 was in transition with me, but I beat him out!
What would you do differently?:

I need some cycling shoes that are for tri's. My stupid cycling shoes cost me time on this one.
Bike
  • 39m 38s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out to the right and immediately #57 passed me. I was going around 25-27 mph and it felt great. I felt good that my 20 mph average goal would be achieveable.

Did some turns and made it out to a long stretch of road with two hills. The kills kind of kicked my rear, but I was still doing pretty good.

THEN I turned right and the headwind hit me. Great. I was pedaling my butt off huffing and puffing... which resulted in a side cramp. Not good. Even then I was only going around 16-17 mph. Sad. My goal of a 20 mph average was dwindling.

Fought a headwind all the way back for the second loop. On the first loop I passed 8 people!

Now, at some point on the first loop I passed #57. Then he passed me again on a downhill on the back stretch.

The second loop was like the first, except I was slower and more pathetic into the headwind this time. Yeah. I went a little slower in hopes that my side cramp would subside. I wouldn't have a good run going into it with a side cramp.

It should be noted that Tim did NOT catch me on the bike, but he was right on my heels after I came into transition.

Uh, not ride 75 miles the day before. :) But since Longhorn HIM is my goal, I did what I needed to do according to my training plan. I can place in my AG at raced in 2010. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

AG Rank: 7 out of 24.

Not a bad transition. Of course I had Sabrina getting me back for yelling at her and Tim earlier this year at races. She was yelling, "Socks, you don't need socks!"... and I replied, "I DO! I'll get blisters"... and so on. HA!

Finally got some speed laces so this was quicker than usual.
Run
  • 28m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out with the side cramp. Great. Once I have it, it won't go away. I told myself before the race, even if I had a side cramp I had to run.

So I jabbed my fingers into the cramp, and ran. It was painful, but I kept going.

Tim passed me early on in the run. Which was fine. I was a lame duck out there.

Honestly, the fact that I kept close to a 9 minute mile, with that side cramp is just impressive. I started to walk a couple of times because I was in so much pain, but told myself I HAD TO RUN! So I got back to running.

Uh, not ride 75 miles the day before. (See a theme here?)
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and was happy to be done. Went over and saw Tim and Sabrina and got a massage. :)

After sitting around about 30 minutes, I convinced Tim to go out and do the run course with me again. I needed a long run day and so did he, so we went and did another 3 miles.

It was fun! We went slow (a 10:30 minute mile) and chatted the whole way. Everyone who was out there (although it was sparse) were first time tri-ers. It was great cheering them on! We even met a lady who was 67 years out out there doing it! So cool!

Also, Derek (Big_D) was awesome and took pictures of me at the race! I have posted some of them below. You also get a wonderful shot of half dressed Tim and me looking tired. HA!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SIDE CRAMP! Story of my life.

75 mile ride the day before! :)

Event comments:

Overall a very good race. I'll be back to do it again in 2010. Except next time, I'll be placing in my age group. Watch out ladies.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:07 | 350 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 33/300
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:38 | 13 miles | 19.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:05 | 03.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Take on the Heat Triathlon

2009-08-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2367124

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon
Nice race and great attitude. I like announcing your software intentions 1 year in advance!
2009-08-24 5:14 PM

User image

The Colony

Hey,

Good job out there, it was nice seeing you. You are very fast on the swim, maybe you could teach me some things.

2009-08-24 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2367718

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Rkhosla26 - 2009-08-24 5:14 PM

Hey,

Good job out there, it was nice seeing you. You are very fast on the swim, maybe you could teach me some things.

You can join me anytime in the pool. Although it's a bit far from your house. I am at Lifetime Fitness off Trinity Mills, Mon and Wed evenings from 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm.

Starting in Nov though, I would be willing to meet you at a public pool half way (Standridge natorium) and give you pointers.

2009-08-24 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Great race and glad you didn't have to KO the kid at the door. With a 3yr old, my biggest fear at a race he attends is him stumbling out onto the run or bike course. We've had several discussions and he seems to get it - but then again he's 3 and lies a lot too.

Good luck at Longhorn. I did it last year and it's a great course. Tell Quadzilla hello for me.
2009-08-25 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Nice race! I am impressed with the "digging your fingers into the cramp" and keep running attitude! That is what makes you tough!

2009-08-25 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Another solid race in the books for 2009. Good splits all the way through and hanging tough.

You're going to be in rockin' fast shape for Longhorn!

BTW, the boy doesn't know how lucky he is given your propensity for knocking folks around who are in your way.
2009-08-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2367737

User image

The Colony
KSH - 2009-08-24 5:26 PM
Rkhosla26 - 2009-08-24 5:14 PM

Hey,

You can join me anytime in the pool. Although it's a bit far from your house. I am at Lifetime Fitness off Trinity Mills, Mon and Wed evenings from 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm. Starting in Nov though, I would be willing to meet you at a public pool half way (Standridge natorium) and give you pointers.

Sounds like a good deal. Yeah, I could meet somewhere in Nov. Right now I cycle on Mon and Wed, but I will have a more flexible schedule during the off season and would need the extra motivation to maintain my conditioning.
2009-08-25 9:57 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Very nice race. Top 10 is great, Top 5 is AWESOME!

2009-08-25 11:31 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Very impressive, good job, especially on the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take on the Heat Triathlon Rss Feed