General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Clear Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clear Lake, Texas
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 3/385
Age Group = Elites
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Swim
  • 23m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I raced in the elite wave and we got a 1min buffer on the first wave which was 40 and up males. Our wave of just 7 was nice and small.

I ended up having a good swim. I had just race a Olympic 2 weeks ago and had swam 24:08 comfortably and I was looking to improving on that and swimming a little more aggressive. The plan was to grab a ride on Deans feet, but I guess I need another 6 months till I can do that. I'm coming though! Anyway, back to the race! So Brad takes off with a surge at 100m in and drops me and Dean, I jump on Deans feet right away at that moment. However he has a odd flutter-ish kick and it's making it hard to stay on his feet. Before I can figure out a good way to draft him, he finds his next gear and goes after Brad leaving me all alone. So I settle into my own pace and try to figure out the best line with a mess up line of buoys from the current. I finally found the yellow turn buoy 400m out and made a direct line for it. About 800m in my friend fromt he 40+ wave and another fish right on his feet catch me and are moving a bit too fast for me to latch on, though I tried a little. :)

Finished the swim in exactly 23:30, which was exactly what I expected to swim if I didn't get a pair of feet to work with. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Had a little bit of trouble getting the speed suit off, but still didn't take much time.

Need to practice in the suit a bit more.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I had flopped on the bike 2 weeks ago in San Angelo and I was wanting to avoid doing that here. So I started off more relaxed than I had in San Angelo, and was feeling pretty good. I caught the 40+ AGers fishes that had caught me in the swim by mile 6 of the bike and then it was just me and the road as Dean and Bradly were out of site completely, which was impressive because I could see for quite a ways! I kept expecting to at least see flashes of Dean. Brad I knew was going to bomb the bike and be out of sight. So at mile 10 we turn more into the wind and I'm still feeling good and confident in my ability to hold my pace. Then we make another turn slightly more into the wind and onto some chipseal. My pace of course drops, but this section is only 1.5 miles long. So we get onto smoother roads again and I should be able to get my pace back up. However my rhythm is gone and my legs aren't having anything to do with lifting the pace back up. So I'm struggling to regain my groove on the bike when I come onto an intersection several miles later... right before I get to it, the light turns red. At first I think nothing of it, but then I notice all the cars are going. I then slam on the brakes, unclip look around for a cop, but there is none. I let out plenty of choice words and once the traffic is done crossing, I get going again. I guess I lost 45s, though it's hard to say for sure. What pissed me off more is that the guy behind me, who wasn't really all that close to me when I looked back a mile ago.. caught me and passed me while I was stopped/ getting going again. He hit the light perfect, as did the others in front/behind me. Well.. at least I had someone to keep pace with on the way back since he was riding well.

Finished the bike off pace, obviously, and a bit ticked.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Well I had the fastest T2 by like 4 seconds of the day, but I also forgot to grab my number. So not sure if that counts. ;)

I would prefer to grab my number.. I would hate to get DQ for something like that.
Run
  • 39m 34s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was just a tad long, I'm pretty sure the original plan was to finish right by the start, which would of been a perfect 10k. However they had us run right past transition to finish on the other side, adding about a tenth of a mile or so. No biggie, just being picky.

Not the most eventful run. I ran a little bit of a relaxed run(still hard, just not all out) till I figured out John was starting to run me down with 2 miles to go I put it into gear and ran 6:03, 5:53 last two miles. Ended up having 30s to spare on John, but well behind Dean and Bradly. Bradly was hit by a Car on the bike and went down. However he was able to get up and continue and luckly a race official was able to get the cars insurance. Insanely he still had the fastest bike split of the day and was 2nd, 1min 50s down on Dean, but still 5min up on me.

Since my goal was 2:05:xx I should of ran faster, however I didn't expect to have to stop at a red light either..
Post race
Warm down:

nada.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not as bad as San Angelo, but I still got out of my groove on the bike in the middle. Not to mention the redlight..

Last updated: 2009-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 12/385
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Speed Suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:32 | 24.85 miles | 24.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 8/385
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:34 | 06.3 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 5/385
Performance: Average
Course: Out and Back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Clear Lake International Triathlon

2009-08-24 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2367289

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Clear Lake International Triathlon
Great race Stephen!  And to think you mentioned to me before your start that you may only be able to pull a fourth (but you would still give 100%, and it paid off).. lol!  BTW, I won't be changin' my name anytime soon ~ because every time I get a little faster you and your polk-a-dotted bretheren are just that musch faster... So I will continue with trin2bfast...  you FAST GUYS Suck!  lol!  Great race ~ it's cool to see guys like yourself, Dean, Trent, and the like flying on the run (I don't usually get to see y'all on the bike, so I don't know how cool that is!) lol! ... Motivation!
2009-08-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2367289

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Clear Lake International Triathlon
Best part of my run was the high-five!  Sucks big time about the Hwy 96 intersection.  Still a great job out there. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed