General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jackson County Triathlon...thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-24 6:28 PM

User image

Subject: Jackson County Triathlon...thoughts?

I really enjoyed the Jackson County Long course Tri (my first long course event)....and I thought is was much better than the Midwest mayhem.  What did everyone else think?  

2009-08-24 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2367814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon...thoughts?
From my RR (which I'm still working on while I'm still waiting for the "Official" results to get posted).

Much has been said about KLM and their race management, mostly negative. I have read many a race report from fellow BT'ers and found that many of the gripes seemed legitimate. With all the rants I've read about KLM I was skeptical about how this race would go.

Based on the race today, I thought they did an excellent job. There were volunteers everywhere. The bike and run course was well marked (not sure about the long course run). Every single intersection on the bike course was manned with volunteers/police officers. Sufficient aid/water stations. At the swim start the race director (I assume) went over with everyone the nuances of the course and he did it multiple times to ensure that everyone was aware and knew what he/she was doing. Overall, there was great support. I tried to thank every volunteer I passed by.

Of the races that this group puts on I think the size of this race (relatively speaking) help contribute to its success. They were probably more motivated to put on a successful race here, where more people are exposed to them, than say at a smaller Midwest Mayhem. They could improve the ho-hum post-race atmosphere. I understand their reasoning for doing away with post race awards, but I still don't know if I agree with it. Also, leading up to the race (the electronic communication, packet pick-up) there was somewhat of an impersonal, almost rude feeling I got from this group, though I'm not sure if I can put my finger on what it was that made it seem like this. As a new participant to KLM races I didn't get a welcoming feel (this does not include the race day experience).

With that said, until I have a bad KLM race day experience I will refrain from joining any KLM boycott.
2009-08-24 8:39 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I did Jackson County in 2007 and 2008, but not this year.
I will admit it is the only KLM race that I think they got "right." It just didn't fit into my schedule or goals for this season.

2009-08-25 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
As someone who has ranted about KLM in the past I thought I would add my 2 cents. (I reluctantly signed up for the race because I wanted to do one more before the Redman in September.)

I thought it was run much better than the Mayhem and other KLM races I have done in the past. I think the fact that the race has been around for so long certainly helps. There were a lot more volunteers and the race course was marked well.

My wife said there was some confusion as to where the finish was on the run because you had to cross in front of the runners exiting the transistion area. By the time I got there though some of the spectators were directing traffic.

I did the long course and was not a big fan of the swim (2 laps with a run along the beach in between.) I had perfect timing in that I started my 2nd lap 5 seconds before the next heat was starting, so I had to fight through the initial congestion all over again. Good practice, but not fun.

Overall I enjoyed the race, and if I had to recommend a KLM race, this would be the one.

THe pick up "goodies" were pretty lame though: t-shirt, race number (just the number, no race name), swim cap, and a Gu. Not even a bag to put it all in or race maps or heat times.

2009-08-25 4:33 PM

New user
AS a first time triathlete I was pretty pleased with the event.  I thought that the course was well marked and that the race director at the beginning did a nice job of giving us a quick goings-over of the way the race would go down.  There seemed to be an appropriate number of lifeguards in kayaks and I thought the bike route was especially well taken care of with a large number of police and volunteers.  The volunteers caught me when I turned onto the long course run instead of the short.  My swim time seems to be botched in the official results, but maybe I unknowingly walked too close to a sensor at an inopportune time.  All of my other times are in line with what my family marked down. 

I am definitely looking forward to doing this triathlon again next year, and two of my family members who've never tri'd had such a good time watching that they've already decided to start learning to swim so they can compete next year, too.
2009-08-26 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Did anyone enforce the dismount at the infamous bridge? That bridge is the reason I skip on this race. I agree that this is their best run race and the only one I would do in their line up.
Last year I placed 4th overall short course while watching people flying over that bridge that no one was supervising. While some played by the rules and dismounted, many did not.  

2009-08-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2371960

User image

Regular
atasic - 2009-08-26 12:15 PM

Did anyone enforce the dismount at the infamous bridge? That bridge is the reason I skip on this race. I agree that this is their best run race and the only one I would do in their line up.
Last year I placed 4th overall short course while watching people flying over that bridge that no one was supervising. While some played by the rules and dismounted, many did not.  

You did not have to dismount this year. They had wood panels across part of the bridge that you could ride over. Much better than having to dismount.
2009-08-27 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
The plywood definitely helped.  It was pretty flush to the ashphalt (I slowed down and lifted my front wheel just in case).  The announced the plywood change before each swim wave start (at least the ones I could hear).  That was great for me since this was only my 3rd tri and only my 2nd with clipless pedals.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jackson County Triathlon...thoughts? Rss Feed