General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Hartford, Connecticut
United States
Hartford Marathon Foundation
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 22s
Overall Rank = 107/214
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 a.m. Made coffee. Drank a boost. Made a bowl of oatmeal with yogurt, blueberries and walnuts mixed in. Tried to spoon that into my nervous and nauseous stomach. Don't know why I get nervous or nauseous before races anymore, but I do. Had organized my stuff the night before so was fairly ready to go. Mixed my bike bottles, got dressed. Put some coffee in my Sherpa and loaded up the car.
Event warmup:

The walk down to the lake and a few strokes in the water was the extent of my warm up.
Swim
  • 33m 20s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really felt good with this swim. The start was a little rough as there was quite a bit of contact. The start had us going out diagonally from the shore toward the first two buoys so we were all squeezing into this awkward space. I smacked a few people to clear a space for myself and took a foot to the abdomen. Took a while to settle my breathing down, but eventually found a rhythm. Tried to maintain a moderate pace and stay on some other swimmers feet so I wouldn't get off course. Unfortunately, I have worked my self solidly into the middle of the pack so found myself hanging behind the front end, but ahead of the back end for most of the middle part of the swim. Eventually caught up to the slow swimmers in the previous waves and passed a few in my own wave on the way in. Was excited to see my time when i got out of the water as last time I did this race my swim was well over 40 minutes!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, except maybe swim in a little on the long in between part of the course so as not to add yards which I may or may not have done. Was weird to encounter huge rocks just below the surface in the middle of a deep lake on the course...
Transition 1
  • 05m 42s
Comments:

Transition includes a .2 mile run up a very stony path back to transition. This is probably the toughest part of the race as its slightly up hill and requires you to put shoes on. With wetsuit still half on, it was tough to run that distance! Struggled to get the suit off in transition. Got caught behind 5 or 6 racers all headed to the mounting area. I blew around all of them and got there first! :)

Nothin'!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 10s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I smacked the first 21 miles of this bike course pretty good. Passed a lot of riders and played leap frog with a few who refused to really mean it when they passed me. One women kept passing me and then just cutting right in front of my wheel and kinda just sitting in. Totally annoying! If you're gonna pass then leave me behind, or at least clear my front wheel before you cut in! I left her behind for good on the 4 mile hill up 202. The last 2.8 miles of this ride are ball buster miles that end with one nasty-get out of your saddle or fall down - type hill. My sherpa was there screaming encouragement to help get me up and over. Its brutal, but so worth it when you turn the corner and scream down hill to the bike finish.

Nothin'! Had a awesome ride. Maybe go faster next time...
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Legs felt a little rubbery getting off the bike. Had to run the bike across the grass back to transition. Was feeling a little like the run might suck. Had trouble finding my rack as the numbers were covered by people's bags and shite. Finally got the bike tucked away and from there got shoes and hat on pretty quick.

Make a better mental note about what rack I was in!
Run
  • 55m 52s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Took about a mile to get the legs feeling like they wanted to run. I tried to just ease into a solid pace. Didn't push to hard initially, but really wanted to keep the momentum up as so far had a pretty solid race going. I managed to work my way into a nice steady 9 or so minute pace and maintained that into the last mile where I may have picked it up just bit to get to the finish.

Nothin'! Ran smart and maintained a good, steady pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Guzzled a bottle of water and got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think my performance was pretty much as it should have been. I didn't really know how this would go as its hard to tell if you're really recovered from IM or not only 4 weeks out, but I've been feeling really good and have been able to get some good speed on both the bike and the run in the small amount of training I've done since IMLP. So, glad I signed up and went for it because it turned out pretty well!

Event comments:

This is a great race. The course scares a lot of people away, so you tend to get a very competitive field of racers. Its challenging and rewarding to get it done! The post race food and beer is always a plus too!

I was 3/7 in my AG, but got the second place award due to the number 1 being the first women overall. Pretty tough competition indeed!

Last updated: 2009-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:20 | 1760 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 105/214
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless 2XU
Course: Course was a trapezoidal loop with a very long section between the corners that was difficult to navigate as there were not that many buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:10 | 23.8 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Overall: 96/214
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:52 | 06.2 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 109/214
Course: Lots of hills on this run course with more up than down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 7:25 PM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon

2009-08-25 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2367898

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: RE: Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon

Great job on a pretty tough day.  Way to come back after LP

2009-08-25 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT

That's a tough course and you really made it your b*tch . Congrats on the hardware!
What's next?

2009-08-25 2:27 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Congrats on the hardware!!
2009-08-25 5:56 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Nice job.  Way to kick some serious (including mine).
2009-08-27 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

S W E E T !!!!! Congratulations!!!!!when i grow up I want torace like you !

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed