EndorFun
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 50m 16s
Overall Rank = 744/1862
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 150/267
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special, We were camping so things were different than i have experienced in the past. Got up at 4 knowing how mobbed the start area is. We were able to get a parking spot in the main lot but there was already a big line of cars. We set everything up in transition and begun to hang out. Race was delayed because of a serious crash on the bike course... Race started 30 min. late.

Saw a girl in transition that I thought was Aquagirl. I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything. Later while standing by the water I saw her nearby so I asked her. It was her. We spoke briefly and went on our ways!
Event warmup:

None. Could have swam, should have swam but I didn't
Swim
  • 39m 54s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am an average swimmer at best. I know that so no surprises here. I have only swam 3x this whole summer, 2x at IM Cd'A an OWS at Blue marsh and then here so I don't deserve better. I usually swim at my high school pool. It closes for the summer in July but it closed in June this year for some reason. I knew it wouldn't be a record pace but it wasn't bad either.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more closer to the races.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

This was my first non full IM event with wetsuit strippers. I love having strippers. When I flopped down it was caught on my left calf. He was pulling and I was pulling and finally it came off but not before i had a nasty charley horse in my calf. Holy cow that hurt. As I type this 3 days later I still have a knot in my calf. I hobbled into transition and calmly made the change.

Lube up my ankles hopefully that will help with removal.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a good ride. Going along I didn't really realize how warm it was getting...

Not much. Next year a 70.3 will be my "A" race so I will be training a lot more for harder, faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

No issues here. Could have been a little faster but I never wanna rush...
Run
  • 2h 13m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I was looking at the weather all week and expected it to be raining. Never did i expect it would get hot and humid. Well race time came and it was still foggy. As the sun got higher, the coulds burned off and it got up into the mid to upper 80's with similar humidity. I really didn't realize it until I got off the bike. Wow, it hit me in the face! As soon as I started running I knew this wasn't going to be any kind of a PR. It is a much more difficule course than Eagleman so not unexpected but Ihad hoped to feel fresher off the bike.

My left calf had not been too much of a factor on the bike but now it caused me to limp a little and stride differently. I set the best pace I thought Icould do for the distance and off I went. I sought out ice and was pleased to find several sources. The best was from the Laconia ice hockey team who had shaved ice fron the rink. I put a big pile on my head all 4 times I passed. It really helped keep me cool!!! I still had some under my hat when I fininshed.

All in all not a good pace for me. not sure if it was becaise of the heat or over doing it on the bike but I really wasn't feeling the run...

Not really sure...
Post race
Warm down:

Find shade!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, training

Event comments:

In IM Cd'A I had stomach issues that screwed me up a lot. This time I brought my own gels and endurolytes. I only took water and gatorade on the course. It was much better but still not great. I am wondering if the endurolyte capsules might be part of the problem. In training I have always used the powder... I'll be working on nutrition for next year. I will be shooting for a sub 5 hour Eagleman...

A nice place to race. Tons of local support. Particularlly on the run course!!! Wow!

Now for the highlight of the weekend... When I came across the finish line I was directed to a woman who was putting on medals. I really didn't look up until I was going to say thank you. Holy shit it was Chrissie Wellington putting on MY medal!!!! I was so stunned I said "Holy Shit", "Oh my god" and because I couldn't put a coherent thought together I bowed down in a "Were not worthy" fashion. I wonder what she thought!!! Wow!!!

All in all a good time. And I got to camp for the first time in my life!

Last updated: 2008-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:54 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/267
Overall: 639/1862
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangular, out, right turn, over, right turn, back. Nice lake, I wish we had a lake near me that I could open water swim in. I hate pools.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:36 | 56 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Overall: 877/1862
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A rolling hill course with a few bigger climbs but nothing unusual. I only got out of my saddle a couple of thimes but not because I had to but because I needed a bit of a stretch and change of position. The roads were in great shape with a few exceptions and intersections were well controlled. This course suits me because it is similar to where I live. I could have hammered a little harder and perhaps gotten a 20mph avg but I wanted to save it for the run. No mechanicals and the bike performed flawlessly. I met one milestone on this ride, I hit 52 MPH in the AERO on one of the downhills. I've never broken 50 before!!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:13:39 | 13.1 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 877/1862
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop, out and back, moderate hills, 50/50 shaded.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-24 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2367987

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
I know I know!!!
Nice to meet you BTW........ 
2009-08-25 8:13 AM

User image

Elite

Great way to wind(sp?) down the season. Chrissie Wellington is pretty badass.

2009-08-25 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
You've had such a rockin season! You're my hero!!!!
2009-08-25 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Yea, that nutrition took me a long time to nail down.  Well done.  Sounds like you had a great time!
2009-08-28 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Dang about that calf! Otherwise great race! Solid time and great times!

That's cool that Chrissy put the medal on you! I'm such a dork, I wouldn't even realize it, as I wouldn't recognize a pro in person.

Congratulations on your race!

2009-08-28 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Congrats. Great bike split. That run killed me too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed