Playtri
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 58s
Overall Rank = 24/331
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/37
Pre-race routine:

Loaded up the car and left the house at 5:15 - and got there 5 minutes later, including parking time. Yes, I drove the 1/2 mile to the pool.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition area and helped two friends who were doing their first tri get their areas set up. Got in and swam an easy 300 warm up then did some good stretching.
Swim
  • 05m 57s
  • 383 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good swim for me and I was 10 seconds slower than I did last year. Had some issues passing people, including the two people in the top 10 that couldn't really swim. I usually hit this distance right at 5:00 in practice (long course meters at the same pool) so I know I could have done much better. Oh well.

Passed 4 or 5 people and didn't get passed. Still haven't been passed in a pool swim so I got that going for me, which is nice.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive on the passing. Seeding myself faster wouldn't have really solved anything I don't think. I just had a bad swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Speedy transition for me as I knocked over 1 minute off last years time in T1. I knew I needed to get quicker in transition and it finally came together in this race. I swam with my tri top on and had my shoes on the bike so all I had to do was run up and put my helmet on, get my bike and take off. I like doing transitions this way MUCH better.

Besides running faster to my rack, nothing.
Bike
  • 39m 27s
  • 12.82 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Prior to hitting North Colony I thought I was going to destroy this bike course. OK, myabe not destroy it but I was going to do really, really well for me. I was holding right at a 22MPH average until I hit the headwind at N. Colony. Looking back at it I probably went out way too fast but it's a sprint. Anyway, the headwind on N. Colony somehow seemed to continue when we made the turn south down Memorial. I think it was following me.

After two loops of that my average was adjusted back down to something a little more me - 19.5MPH.

I guess I could have held back some on each loop but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's 12 miles - I should be able to hammer a sprint course for that distance. In reality I probably need to do more speed work so I have something left in my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Good bike dismount and ran right to my rack. Had my shoes and hat on pretty quick-like and took off.

Nada.
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got to the run there were three of us coming out of transition together. Somehow I wound up being the quickest of the three, something that never happens. Unfortunately the guy in front of me was WAY in front of me and I was losing ground. It was hard to pace myself when I didn't have anyone to realistically catch up to. At about the 1.5 mile mark I was caught by #16 and hung with him for a little bit. At about mile 2, #45 came out of nowhere and he and #16 decided they had kept me company long enough. I at least had someone to try to keep up with and I think I ran a little faster because of it. By the end of the run they were probably 200yds in front of me.

My run was OK but it was only 1 second faster than last year. Not one second per mile average - 1 second total.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, bananna, water, watermelon. Went back to the course and sat with my wife and kids to cheer people on and watch my brother and friends finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to do more speed sets in my run training so I can start logging under 8 minute miles in a race.

Event comments:

I had a pretty good heal injury right after Longhorn last year and didn't get back to training until around later May/early June this year. Given the fact that I dropped almost 2 minutes from last year and my run is in pretty much the same place as it was last year, I think I did OK. I need to continue my training though so I am ready for Redman next month.

It's a fun event right in my backyard. This was the third year for the TOTH and the third time I have competed in it. I plan to continue doing this event as long as they have it and hopefully continue to knock time off. I've gone from a 1:34 to a 1:14 and now a 1:12. Gotta get under 1:10 next year.

Last updated: 2009-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:57 | 383 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/37
Overall: 48/331
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Snake swim in a 50M pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:27 | 12.82 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/37
Overall: 68/331
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course through city roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:14 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/37
Overall: 65/331
Course: 5k through neighborhood streets
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Subject: Take on the Heat Triathlon

2009-08-25 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2368116

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon
Looks like you had a great race!

Yeah, top 10... not knowing how to swim? Some people don't understand swim times... eh?

Man, that bike course was brutal. I was aiming for a 20 mph on the bike and after I hit that headwind for 1/2 the course, my dream quickly vanished. I was hammering... even doing that 16 mph was all I could muster!

Do you have a Garmin? Or do you use a watch? If you have a Garmin you can pace yourself on the run.

Great job man!
2009-08-26 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2368116

User image

The Colony
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon
Good job at the race !!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take on the Heat Triathlon Rss Feed