United States
EndorFun
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = f30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Same old routine. Got up, ate a bagel, drank some coffee, and off we went. Fred and I picked up Chuck and got a GREAT parking spot in the first row.
Event warmup:

ummm...The race was delayed a bit because of an accident on the bike course. They said at one point that the race would start in about 20 minutes, so I figured I had about 40 minutes until my wave starts. So Kira and I go out for a little warm up swim and she says to me..."Hey, isn't that your wave over there getting ready to go in?" I thought it was pearl pink (I was fluorescent pink and kept swimming. I realized I didn't see any other pinks at all anywhere and there was already numerous waves in the water. I'm not sure how I messed up the time so badly, but I hauled ass over to the wave start (my wave was already in the water), running through water then onto the beach yelling "excuse me." I got in the water with my heart beating a mile a minute and the announcer yells "2 minutes." PHEW!!!!
Swim
  • 40m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm very happy with this swim and I was certainly expecting less. I haven't really been in the pool all that much lately and was ready to accept whatever happened. It was a 4 minute PR over last year and I felt great throughout. Normally there are moments that kind of get to me and get my heart rate up a bit for a short time. There was none of that. The swim was calm and stress free for me. I sighted well and I even drafted a bit, I think.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much except maybe pay closer attention to when my wave is going off. It seems there were quite a few people who had similar experiences as I did.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

UGH. I wasn't going to use the wet-suit strippers but last year it was a nice treat. I decided to go to the only man in the group stripping wetsuits thinking that he would just rip it off. I was very wrong. He was so gentle with me and my suit that he had trouble getting it off. I was a bit agitated as people were coming and going next to me. Next year I'm avoiding the wetsuit strippers.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I did well here. This was a 33 minute PR from last year. My back was getting a little sore towards the end and I was happy for the hills so I could stretch it out a bit. My main goal here was to pay close attention to my nutrition. I really really tried. My watch beeped every 15 minutes. I had two 1.5 hour bottles. I took a good sip every 15 minutes and water at every stop and then some. I ended up only using one of the 1.5 hour bottles of infinite.

I should probably ride more on my tri bike so I'm used to being in aero that long. I have to work on being able to access my other water bottles.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

This went well. I was stuck behind a few people who were walking with their bike so it took me a bit longer to get to my rack but otherwise this was a good transition.
Run
  • 2h 42m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where it all fell apart again. I immediately had pain in my right foot from a previous sore 2 weeks ago. That sore opened up immediately and it hurt. I think I changed my way of running/walking a bit to try and avoid it hurting but it was no use, and I also ended up getting another blister. It was really painful. I debated for a few miles on taking my shoes off. Finally at mile 7 I did so. I ran the remainder of the course in my bare feet. I should have done it earlier. I had to run slower but at least I could run without the pain. It's much easier to deal with fatigue than it is to deal with fatigue and pain.

Not sure. I could certainly do more running. I think I may have went to hard on the bike or didn't eat/drink enough throughout. I'm still working on it all :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal from Chrissie Wellington (very cool) and met up with Fred, Jon, Kira, and Chuck and ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swimming skill ;-), perhaps not enough water/fuel throughout (not sure), blisters, boo boos, and poison Ivy on my feet. I'm just glad my cough that showed up on Friday didn't bother me at all :-)

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race and it's very organized. I would do it year after year.

Last updated: 2008-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:49 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: All right turns
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:29 | 56 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: A hit hilly in the beginning and at the end.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:42:22 | 13.1 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-25 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2369663

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Way to HTFU and run in your BARE FEET!!!! You are hard core! I wish I had the chance to meet you! 
Gee...our race starts sound eerily similar.......... 

Edited by aquagirl 2009-08-25 3:30 PM
2009-08-26 6:52 AM

User image

Awesome bike ride Carrie!!! I wish I could bike like you. And you are very brave for running in bare feet.
2009-08-26 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great race! Pretty hardcore running in bare feet!
2009-08-26 10:07 PM

User image

Elite

What did you do with your shoes once you took them off? Carry, toss?

2009-08-26 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Congrats! Incredible you ran 6 miles barefoot!

Would you recommend Timberman as a first HIM? I am looking to do my first in the second half of 2010.

2009-08-27 3:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I tied them together by their laces and just threw them over one shoulder.  It was a bit annoying at times but at least I was running :-)

Timberman was my first 1/2 last year.  It's a great race and I think it's a good first half as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed