Trevor Soll
20C / 68F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 53s
Overall Rank = 3/88
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/21
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on the Wednesday before the race. Hung out, rode the course, swam the lake, ran a bit. Just relaxing and camping mostly.
Event warmup:

Race morning started at 6:20. I ate some instant oatmeal with a banana and milk. About 20 minutes before the start I also had a power bar. I was feeling pretty relaxed.
Swim
  • 23m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I seeded my self right at the front. The beach was long and more than enough space for everybody. I picked my line to the first buoy and went straight at it when the gun sounded. I was calm and moved right into a nice smooth stroke and was feeling good. There seemed to be a group of about six of us that were all grouped together. I tried to pass but it was too tight. I ended up drafting a bit and just hanging out really is what it seemed like behind two guys. I'm in the hips of both of them - one on my left and one the right. Out of the water for the first lap I run around the whole group of six. I run back into the water and push hard for a couple strokes. But the effort was too much and I had to roll on my back to catch my breath! My first tactical mistake of the race. Just for a couple seconds but in that time the group passed by and I caught back on between the two guys again. I finished out the swim like that, but stood up fast and passed a couple guys running into transition. Into the transition 10th, but I had no idea at the time.

My time of 23:57 is a new PB by a long shot. I think my previous best is 27:01. So this was a surprise for me. Not sure if it was short or not or how much of a drafting effect I got.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Long run up to T1. Quick as possible and a run to the road. I had a brief struggle clipping in and was passed. Less than 10 seconds but it gave him a good jump out on me.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 1s
  • 43 kms
  • 36.33 km/hr
Comments:

The first 10k the wind was at my back. I pass 3 guys within that first 10k, but fail to pass, Kelly, the guy who passed me on the mounting line. He remains in my sight and I draw him in each time there's an incline but never get to him. At 20k I have a gel. New experiment with gels taped to my top-tube. It actually wasn't half bad. I think I'll stick with gels for a couple races. Also at this point I decide to not work too hard to chase down Kelly. Save something for the run. I start timing with my watch how far back I am from him using sign posts as markers. I was :57 back at the 30k point. Another gel pack at 35k. The last few kms were downhill and I spun out the last few hundred meters.
What would you do differently?:

Looking back maybe pushed a little harder. Just a little.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Quick and easy. Grabbed bib and ran instead of standing there putting it on. +1 for me! I was passed again in transition by a guy who had a better rack spot. He didn't get too far though.
Run
  • 43m 36s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Quickly into the run I pass the guy who passed me in transition. I say "Come on, man! We have some guys to catch!" and keep going. It was hard to get into a rhythm and cadence as there were a lot of sharp turns and short hills and descents. I'm passing several people...but they're all in the sprint race. Into km 5 it flattens out and I'm feeling fantastic. My 5th km I do in 3:58! So awesome! Feeling really good heading into lap two now. Jamie yells, there's three guys just ahead! I pass one right away. The course turns, twists and dips so much you can't see anybody in front of you unless you are within meters behind. The second guy I eventually see and pass around the 7k mark. I say, "How far is Kelly ahead?". He tells me about 500m. I keep pushing and am going as fast as I can, considering the terrain. Finally the last km it flattens out again and I see Kelly rounding the bend and moving to the finish. He is still a ways ahead and there is no way I can catch him. I still make a good push for the finish and cross the line feeling good.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossing the line I'm told I was 3rd. Woop, woop! Pretty awesome. I felt pretty good and finished strong. I had some bananas and other munchies, plus a hamburger. Good post race food.

Last updated: 2009-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:57 | 1500 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 10/88
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2-loop course where you need to run out of the water, around a buoy, and back in for your second loop.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:01 | 43 kms | 36.33 km/hr
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 4/88
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Big loop. A couple rollers but nothing serious. The wind was there, but the loop changed direction a few times so you had it at your back at times too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:36 | 10 kms | 04m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 2/88
Performance: Good
Course: 2-loop on mixed terrain of gravel, grass and trail. Very hilly and technical.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-25 8:32 PM

Regular
Subject: Alberta Challenge Miquelon Lake

2009-08-26 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2370672

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Subject: RE: Alberta Challenge Miquelon Lake
Great effort! Thanks for the report, it's a good description of the race. I came in 9th and had to work hard after coming out of the water 47th.

I felt sorry for the HIM people who had to do that run course! Their legs must have been burning by the last lap!

I had fun, and I'll be gunning for you next year! If i can learn how to swim!!

Cheers
jman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alberta Challenge Miquelon Lake Rss Feed