Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-20 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2371083

User image

Veteran
Oxford
Subject: RE: Hueston Woods
Wow!  It went better than I thought, despite my recent injuries and lack of training.  Swimmiing went poorly.  Though I was able to swim the two laps without too much problem, I was pretty slow.   I think I was lower than 50th percentile getting out of the water.  At least in my agegroup, I think I was toward the end.  

T1 went well.  No problems

Bike, I had a small mechanical problem (the Garmin cadence sensor shfted and started getting caught in the spokes, so I was getting some weird noise out of the rear tire...  I lost a couple minutes figuring out and fixing the problem.  Still, I was not passed by anyone, and passed a number of people.   I averaged nearly 21mph...  I have a feeling that I will be around 5th percentile or better on this event.  The question is if I made up enough time on the bike to compensate for the swim debacle...

T2 also went well.

The run is what I feared the most...   I have had a nagging herniated disk which has prevented me from running (too much impact and jarring on my lower back). so I have ran very little, and still huffed and puffed with shorter runs.   Anyways, it went better than I thought.  A little slower than I expected, at 8:27 /mile average, and was passed by a number of people, but I also passed a number of people..   I think I will be middle of the pack there.

Overall, I think I did fairly well.  Heck, this morning I was thinking it the run would hurt my back too much and would have to DNF.

It was fun!

2009-09-21 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
my official time was 1:35:16. pretty good for my first attempt. I think I have to pace myself more on the bike though, because I could've saved more for the run....by the time i laced up my running shoes and took off, my legs were JELLY---I probably shouldn't have absolutely hammered the few hills on the bike course..

but it's a lesson learned. the wintertime will be a good opportunity for me to get my swim and my T1 time down (T1 was 1:48).
2009-09-21 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
Well you both put me to shame.  My time was 1:54:09.  I did ok on my swim (love that part) but the bike is my  weakest part.  I really do not train much on the bike and I had trouble with shifting the old Schwinn.  Would get it down into a low gear for those hills and struggle to the top.  By the time I got up there and finally would get into a higher gear for the flat, I would be back to a hill.  Then when I got to the run my legs were spent.  I do feel like I should have pushed it more on the run, I definitely had some more in the tank, but held back afraid that I wouldn't make it the whole way. 

I'll give it a try again some day when I've done more bike training and have a better bike.  Hopefully next year.  Was a great race though and I learned a lot. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hueston Woods Rss Feed  

of 2