of 2

2009-09-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2386836

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: The Little Things
kvesey - 2009-09-03 9:57 AM

Once the race starts, stop thinking about it in terms of the whole 140.6 miles. Break it up into manageable chunks. It's much easier to deal with mentally. I did IMFL. So, for me, the swim was in 2 parts (2 loops), and that's all I thought about at that time. Then, on the bike, I only thought about getting to special needs about 50 miles down the road. When I got back on, it was the next 30 miles for a brief break, if needed. Then, just 32 miles to the end. The run, 2 laps, so all I thought about was the 6.5 miles to each turnaround. I can always run just 6 miles.

When I was strictly a marathoner, my coach always said to just think about the race as 1 mile, 26 times.

Good luck! It's an awesome way to spend a day!

I look even shorter distance...what should I be doing right now. I can only control now not the future or past.  Stay moment focused and it becomes easier to execute your plan.

2009-09-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2371758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
1. the hills never stop, but they are all manageable if you ride correctly. make sure you ride by effort all day. do not hammer up the hills and recover on the downhills. ride steady up and steady down and you should be able to maintain your pace all day.

2. after the excitement of verona, the second bike loop can seem pretty lonely and daunting. set some goals, keep your head up and stay strong. get back to verona smiling and nothing will stop you from then on.

3. as others have said, make a plan, but be ready to deviate. if you aren't having fun any more, most likely you aren't eating enough. you should always know when you ate last and when you are eating next. when the race gets long, just tell yourself to make it to the next feeding. you can do it.

4. enjoy the run through the stadium!

good luck this weekend!!!! it's a great race.
2009-09-11 6:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Keep it simple.  Do not forget your essentials though.  I was at a race once where a guy forgot his shoes.... ouche.  Go to the prerace talk, might as well you have to be there the day before anyway.  Nail your nutrition and hydration, keep to the pace you have practiced.  I actually needed a tiny bit more calories on the run for IM than I did for an open mary, not much, like 150-200 calories total.  Don't overhydrate on the run or you get cramps, but don't blow off your hydration either.  If you are going to use porta poties try to figure out how far away they are before you are tooo despirate for one and then see if there is a line and you can hold out for the next one if there are like 10 people there.  Or you have the other option. 

In the IM run for me mile 10 felt like mile 20 in an open mary, but the training will cary you through.  My IM run finish was actually stronger than my first open mary finish (although the run itself was 20 mintues slower).  There will probably come a time in the run where you are debating whether to continue running or to walk.  If you do not have an injury, you can probably keep going, but that depends on your training.  There is some HTFU to run the whole IM mary, espeicially if it is your first. 

After a long race I need fluids, calories and then I need warm dry clothes within the next 30 minutes or my temperature starts to drop in the sweaty clothes.  Have that change close by. 

There really isn't any way to describe what crossing that finish line feels like to anyone who hasn't done it.  It is like flying for the first time, but more gratifying.   

2009-09-11 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
enjoy the finish!  give high fives to the crowd, savor those last few steps.
between passing a girl in my age group in the last minute of the race and almost having hypothermia, I totally forgot to do that
you will encounter some dark moments during the race where your mind wants to go someplace negative. make sure you eat when it happens, its usually low blood sugar!
have fun and enjoy every second of it!!! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Little Things Rss Feed  

of 2