General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lap pool in downtown Boston? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-26 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: Lap pool in downtown Boston?
I'll be in Boston for two weeks for work starting Sept. 8.  Earlier this week, I stayed at the Lanham Hotel because it purportedly had a lap pool, but it was only about 40' long and I got bored very quickly.  (Even without a pushoff, it was only 7-8 strokes long.)  I know the Hyatt in Cambridge has a 25y lap pool, but it isn't on my company's approved hotel list.  Are there any pay-by-the-day pools in the downtown area?  I didn't see anything promising on swimmersguide.com, but I don't know the neighborhood names or the surrounding towns, so I may have missed something.

I know biking will be impossible for me except on a stationary, but I was hoping to get some good swims in on top of running.  (I had a great 12-mile run yesterday along the Charles from Boston Common out past Cambridge, starting on the south side of the river and returning on the north side.)

Thanks.

2009-08-26 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2372469

Quincy, MA
Subject: RE: Lap pool in downtown Boston?
This one isn't in downtown, but MIT has a very nice athletic facility including a great pool. I was actually there this morning because my usual pool is closed for cleaning.

It's not cheap - $15/day or $37/week for access to the entire facility - but it's a nice, new, clean building.

Here's a link to their website: http://mitrecsports.com/aquatics/classes-and-lessons/default.aspx />
You could also try BU. I bet they allow access as well.

Good luck!
2009-08-26 7:56 PM

User image

Beantown
I'm a member at the Boston Sports Club on Harrison Ave in the South End, I'm not sure what their day rate is but they have a 25m pool. 

I've also heard good things about the South End Fitness Center http://www.southendfitness.org/pool.htm

If MIT is convenient, it's well worth the price!

If you'd like a bit of salty OWS let me know - I live across the street from the beach - lots of people swim in the harbor!

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your stay in Bean Town!
2009-08-27 8:38 AM

User image

Regular
Boston

I second MIT - it's a very nice pool! 
Boston Sports club (on Boylston St) has a pool - 25M -and 3 lap lanes.

Not sure if the Sheraton is on your list of hotels. The one in Copley SQ (in the Prudential Center) has an indoor lap pool. I am not sure how big it is. But they say it's the largest hotel lap pool in Boston. I know my gym uses it for their master classes. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=430

The run around the Charles is very nice. I run it twice a week during lunch. Here's a map of the river run. (Not sure if you have this already
 http://www.marathonsports.com/map.pdf

Enjoy Boston!

2009-08-27 9:27 AM

Veteran
MIT

Boston University - although check website for hours

YMCA

Boston Sports Club - Boylston and South Station - 3 lanes 25yds

Sports Club LA - 5 lanes 25yds, nice pool.  If you know someone that works out there, try to get a 2 week trial membership and then you can use facilities for free.

You can also look up Master Swim programs - Google it and you will get a lot of hits in the Boston area.
2009-08-27 12:39 PM

Veteran
New York
There's also the pool at BU. $20 /day daily fee though.

2009-08-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2373714

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
The Boston Sports Club at South Station (versus the South End) only has 2 lanes.  One is 25 yards the other is only 20 yards.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lap pool in downtown Boston? Rss Feed