General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coaches......do YOU have one? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-27 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2375268

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: coaches......do YOU have one?
losta - 2009-08-27 5:18 PM Good thread. I was wondering about this. I'm a BOPer and was thinking about getting one to get me get closer to MOP but I think I will do some individual classes like Chi-Running and Total Immersion swimming and perhaps a tri boot camp next spring instead. It seems finding the right coach is hard.

It can be, yes. It's almost like finding a steady boyfriend or girlfriend.

I would wholeheartedly recommend spending the money on competent instruction, especially in the swimming. You're only going to need a coach if/when you get to the point where you really aren't improving on your own, or just have no clue how to make up or properly follow a workout plan.

John

2009-08-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2372774

Expert

I have had a coach/es. The short version is: there are coaches and there are coaches. In general I do think it can be very helpful. Depends on where you are and what you want. The USAT standard for certification does however seem to be set very low.

The best coaches I have had were astute at gauging an athlete's ability and potential and would set challenging goals that were attainable. They would build confidence. They would have you looking forward to doing more, and doing it better. It is imperative to trust your coach; one that repeatedly sets the bar too high, or treats his clients in a less than respectful way will soon lose that paycheck.

Check references, think positive, expect good results. If I had my drothers I would work with a coach. Finding the right one is the trick.

2009-08-28 2:08 PM

User image

I love my coach.  I started with him as rehab after an injury and, unlike KSH's experience, I think working with him is fun so I kept going.  However, I do not think I would love having just any coach.  We are a good fit in terms of personality, goals, intelligence, location, and schedule, and we genuinely like each other.  Recently on a radio show he was asked to talk about his current athletes, and he singled out only me (MOP short distance, BOP going long but moving up next year!) and the guy who outran all the pros to win Escape from Alcatraz this year.

My coach is USAT Level 3 and has a bunch of other certs including TI, USAC, USMS, and triathlon coaching is his FT job -- was recently called out on that other site as one coach who "really gets it" and "ahead of his time."  We met when he was I or maybe II, so I heard about every day of the cert process and the final oral exam, and Babs I think that bar is set very high. 

In some thread about local vs. online coaches I wrote about the immense benefits of working with a "local" coach, beyond having him/her available for one-on-one sessions.    Those are things to think about when deciding what type of coaching might work for you.

ETA URL for radio show:  http://www.latalkradio.com/Players/Simon-072309.shtml

Edited by gailg 2009-08-28 2:10 PM
2009-08-28 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
I was coached from Nov 08 to May 09 before i had to give it up.  IMO it was the best money I've spent. 
Powermeter is #2.  I really would like start back when things settle down.
2009-08-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2375393

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-27 6:58 PM
losta - 2009-08-27 5:18 PM Good thread. I was wondering about this. I'm a BOPer and was thinking about getting one to get me get closer to MOP but I think I will do some individual classes like Chi-Running and Total Immersion swimming and perhaps a tri boot camp next spring instead. It seems finding the right coach is hard.

I would wholeheartedly recommend spending the money on competent instruction, especially in the swimming. You're only going to need a coach if/when you get to the point where you really aren't improving on your own, or just have no clue how to make up or properly follow a workout plan.

John

That just might be the most sensible comment on the subject I've seen in two years here.
2009-08-28 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2375393

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Good point. Finding the right coach and getting recommendations are key.
How many do online coach vs. face to face? What are cost ranges?

tkd.teacher - 2009-08-27 9:58 PM

John

2009-08-28 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2377400

User image

Champion
MA
losta - 2009-08-28 8:10 PM Good point. Finding the right coach and getting recommendations are key. How many do online coach vs. face to face? What are cost ranges?
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-27 9:58 PM

John

You do research and spend time finding one that fits you.

I sort of made a list of things that were important to me. I looked around for coaches, asked folks for recommendations, and then contacted quite a few. I had originally thought I wanted a women, and one I thought I'd like, she was a bit flaky didn't get back to me very quickly. Later I learned she coached a few folks from my tri team but gave them the all the same training plan..not very custom. I found a coach that was responsive, called and chatted with me and connected. He was clearly the best choice. I worked with him for 4 years. Then I decided I wanted to try it on my own but it didn't work well for me.

Again I asked some folks I look up to and knew me and my training for some suggestions. I had a list of about 8 coaches and did the same thing interviewing them and hearing what they had to say on how they'd help me.

I'm working with a very different type coach this time but it is a good fit for me now but wouldn't have been 5 years ago.

I also would ask for references and contact them to see how the coach has helped them and check how responsive they are.

Costs vary greatly...some are $80 and some $500/month. Some coaches have varying programs that have more or less contact or training plans weekly or monthly or in between. Often the more time you get from your coach the more expensive it is.

It is good to see how successful their clients have been and even better if they are similar to you. My current coach, works with lots of folks who are fast and KQ, very different than me but he has helped folks similar to me drop 2 hours off their IM time in a year.
2009-08-28 8:04 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
I'm in the process of starting with a coach, and I've never had one before. I've been doing tris for 5 years, and my focus next year is a key XTERRA race. XTERRA training plans are few and far between out there. There are a lot of beginner plans on "how to survive your first XTERRA" but not many on "I want to do really well and possibly qualify for Maui (the XTERRA version of Kona)."

I was very careful in who I selected. I wanted someone who was a mountain biker and understood the differences in training for trails vs. the road. I also wanted someone who was local and like many others mentioned, that I "clicked" with. I met with one of the coaches that sponsors our tri club and who was a previous pro mountain biker. He researched the race and we had an initial "get to know you" kind of meeting where I could ask questions. I came away feeling really good and happy with my decision, so now we're getting ready to set everthing up and get started. We'll see how it goes.
2009-08-28 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a coach and I'm glad I do. I'm busy enough, so I wanted to unload the burden of trying to plan around my busy schedule, which my coach does well (tries at least). I also need the extra motivation to train harder than I feel comfortable doing. We're still working on balance, but I think it is paying off.

The only things I don't like is that I feel like I'm letting my coach down if I miss a workout, which I do more often than I would like.

The reason I have a coach is because I want Clearwater, and then Kona. My local Tri Series has on average 1k-2k per race, so making podium there is difficult even. I'm hoping my coach can get me there.
2009-08-28 8:14 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, Georgia
so i'm also considering getting a coach for next year...qualified for AG nationals this year, but really want to be able to make a good showing there next year.  don't think i can do it without some guidance; but, i live in an area where there really aren't any triathlon coaches...so for all of you out there who have used coaches, have you used coaches that you were primarily connected to through email and phone?  or were your coaches in the same metro area?
2009-08-28 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2377475

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
pennylope - 2009-08-28 6:14 PM

so i'm also considering getting a coach for next year...qualified for AG nationals this year, but really want to be able to make a good showing there next year.  don't think i can do it without some guidance; but, i live in an area where there really aren't any triathlon coaches...so for all of you out there who have used coaches, have you used coaches that you were primarily connected to through email and phone?  or were your coaches in the same metro area?

Mine is 2,000 miles away. But I felt enough of a connection through her blog and daily FB interaction...I've never felt the distance between us from a coaching perspective. Also helps that I attended a training camp in Florida with her this winter but even without wouldn't have felt underserved.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coaches......do YOU have one? Rss Feed  

of 3