General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pre-pre-Marathon training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2373644

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: pre-pre-Marathon training program
Not judging your ability and/or motivation.  Just giving you a "warning" that to take the race for granted or to be overly ambitious on your first one may lead to disappointment.  Especially Boston which puts a pounding on you.  Of course, I have never had success on that course so I'm a little tainted.

I would also recommend picking up Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger-Douglas (as Bear mentions) as it is probably THE best resource for training for the distance (or run training in general).  No gimmicks, no "get rich/fast quick" schemes.  Just straight forward science and smart planning.  Highly recommended book (no too mention one of their plans is what has gotten me my PR for a marathon).

Edited by Daremo 2009-08-27 2:00 PM

2009-08-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2374601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: RE: pre-pre-Marathon training program
Daremo - 2009-08-27 1:59 PM Not judging your ability and/or motivation.  Just giving you a "warning" that to take the race for granted or to be overly ambitious on your first one may lead to disappointment.  Especially Boston which puts a pounding on you.  Of course, I have never had success on that course so I'm a little tainted.

I would also recommend picking up Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger-Douglas (as Bear mentions) as it is probably THE best resource for training for the distance (or run training in general).  No gimmicks, no "get rich/fast quick" schemes.  Just straight forward science and smart planning.  Highly recommended book (no too mention one of their plans is what has gotten me my PR for a marathon).

Cool, thanks...I'm working my way through two books right now (they have their own plans but I'm reading them more just to glean some little tidbits about anything--mentality, intensity, stretching, off-day work, etc) so I'll grab that book in a few weeks. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pre-pre-Marathon training program Rss Feed  

of 2