General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-09-25 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2374544

Veteran
Subject: RE: The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon : Official Thread
I found this on the website triharder and thought it would be useful to other Newbies. Even though I registered in Athena races for this my first season, I am a Newbie just like you. 

http://www.triharder.co.za/2009/triharder/my-top-mistakes-as-a-newbie-triathlete/

My
Top Mistakes as a Newbie Triathlete

Here’s a list of the top 10 mistakes I made as a brand new triathlete. I hope that you will learn a little from these yourself and also share some of your priceless mistakes, because lets face it, they’re hilarious when you think back on them!

Wait, where’s my timing chip!?

During one of my first races I was all pumped because it was a smaller sprint race without much hefty competition. I was convinced I would place in my age group and might have worked myself into a bit of an overconfident swagger heading down to the lake. Oh, come to think of it some of my college buddies were there as well so I was extra excited to show off my mad skills!

So, anyway, the gun goes off and I scramble into the water zealously and swim away. Man, what a crazy swim! The “lake” was barely the size of an Olympic pool and even shallower so it was pandemonium to say the least. I make it through after much swerving and ducking and pull myself out of the water and into T1.

I do the usual Tri Dance to get out of my wetsuit, get my socks on (more on that in a minute!), glasses, helmet, and run out. Quick check of my person, wait, where the hell’s my timing chip!? So I panic. Quickly run back to my transition area after stashing my bike SOMEwhere and start madly shaking out my wetsuit looking for it – nothing. I searched my ENTIRE transition area. What was I THINKING!? Its not in the 100 assorted band-aid box!

Finally, I get some sense to talk to someone and sprint across the grass in my bike shoes to an official (how cool am I?) who just shrugs and says “Finish your race, they’ll have your time based on your wave.”
Moral of the story: Seriously, how bad is it REALLY that you’ve lost a piece of plastic with dodgy old Velcro holding it on your leg? Finish your race.

Late to Race Start

I think this is my favorite. Granted this was the Chicago Triathlon with over 10,000 participants, but still, late to the start??

Well, it started with me being all OCD and anal about the perfection of my transition area. There I am, setting up the IDEAL position for my glasses in my helmet and perfectly perching my bike equidistant away from the guys to my right and left so as not to have it fall over while trying to position my towel underneath it (hey, you hear all those horror stories about correctly setting up your Transition area so why not make sure that never EVER happens to you?).

Then, Brian didn’t care to notice that the transition area was getting extremely empty and announcers were warning him to leave or they’ll drag him out. Then, he didn’t care to check the time or make sure he knew where the start was. No, he’d prefer to join the line with 35 others waiting in front of a porta potty.

After finishing up I started moseying along with the crowd towards what LOOKED like the swim start. Well, after walking for a little I noticed that it is in fact the swim FINISH! I got a little shiver (partially also because the sun hadn’t even risen yet) and kept walking. This eventually turned into a brisker walk as I began to see the starting line almost a MILE away!

What felt like an hour later I began hearing what the announcer was saying. Guess what I heard? “3…2…1…GO!!” and yes, that was my wave. The first one. At 6am.

So there goes Brian, sprinting, barefoot. Getting more of a warm-up than originally expected while dodging a crowd of absolutely incredible proportions! (Wow, I never realized THAT many people cared! I love Chicago!) He reached the start chute where they actually had to funnel people like cattle because of the amount of racers, shoved his way through and in a frenzy tried to explain to an official that THIS cap color is IN the water already and what on earth should he do?? Once again, a shrug and “well.. GO!”

I leapt into the water and swam after what was already the second wave. The last thing I heard with a quick stroke of butterfly (to hide the SHAME!) was “Aww, give this poor guy some support.” Thank you announcer.

Moral of the story: DON’T BE LATE!! Oh, and the Chicago Triathlon Swim Start is REALLY far from transition.

P.S. Later I found out that I probably would have won my division if I hadn’t been late. Then again, would I have been as fast?

Slow Transition

OK, I’m only going to use this excuse once. It was my first triathlon, so what! There.

Basically I ran up the beach from my swim feeling awesome. I was so excited to be in my first Triathlon and to have my girlfriend (and biggest fan) chasing after me to get some shots of me like catching a glimpse of a celebrity. I felt special!

So here’s how to have the longest transition in the WORLD – or at least as cool as mine. Jog into transition and find your area. Then take your wetsuit off slowly, making sure NOT to let it touch the ground or have the Velcro stick to the wrong part. Put your racing shirt on – only now because you didn’t think it would dry (who knows what I was thinking) and worry about the slew of energy gels that are falling out of the back pockets. Then take as much time as possible to carefully dry your feet (because NOW’s when you should worry about athletes’ foot) and put your socks on PERFECTLY.

I forget what I did after that but I believe it consisted of my girlfriend rolling her eyes at me for being SO slow and me throwing her a proud glance of how quickly I got so ready to race. One thing is for sure – all those gels I took time to re-insert into my shirt were nowhere to be found once actually ON my bike.
Moral(s) of the story: Be quick and ruthless. You don’t have to pamper your wetsuit. It will hold up better than you think. One tip I got (later) was to actually cut a few inches off the bottom so its easier to get over your ankles.

Put all your racing attire on UNDER your suit or wear the “onesy”, or whatever you’re going to wear if wetsuits aren’t allowed from the start. It’s a time-saver!

You don’t REALLY need socks. Ok, if you’re doing an Ironman and you’ve never really ran sockless then you probably will, but a couple small blisters won’t be that bad on a sprint triathlon.

Keep it simple. With all the equipment available for Triathlon its easy to get carried away and buy all the gadgets you could possibly think of. Well, try to be prepared if you must have it all. Strap things to your bike in advance. Have your shoes / glasses / helmet etc. all ready to go. A transition bag is more for transPORT than for the actual transition. Fishing for all those things out of a bag is not going to help!

Removing bike shoes too early

I think I did this for quite a few of my first races. It basically involves a turn with several volunteers pointing the way and some street cones.

For some reason, I believed that an over 90 degree turn meant “I must be really close to transition.” “I think I’ve been riding long enough!?” “They’re making me slow down so why wouldn’t I be?” Well, no, no, and because you’re just turning!!

Anyway, on these occasions I would turn the corner and see at least another mile or two of open road ahead of me. Then I would contemplate the embarrassment of putting my (socked) feet back into my shoes or just ride away from it all as quickly as possible. Well, I always chose the latter and vowed to be more mindful of where to ACTUALLY get my feet out of my shoes.

Moral of the story: Check out the course before you head out so you know more or less what the finish will look like. Try to envision your approach to T2 and be ready to make it quicker than T1!

Check Transition Entry / Exit

This is one of those tips that you’re just like “Yeah, yeah, I’ll know where to bike out and where to run out.” That’s what I thought at least. Well, I learned my lesson the hard way.

This triathlon was known as a “Super-sprint” because it was half the distance of a sprint – 400m Swim, 10K bike, 3k run (or maybe even less). So, obviously, every second counts in a race that only lasts about 45 minutes. This was a really fun race and I would recommend it to anyone who is new to Triathlon or anyone who needs a change of pace from the usual hours of masochistic pleasure.

Accordingly, I was in quite a good mood for this race and extremely motivated to have fun and do well at the same time. I nailed the swim – swimming my heart out because this is my forte – and came out the water first or second (grin!). I ran up the beach and, having learnt my lesson, was ready for a strong and quick transition. T1 was good and I biked hard. I came back in and quickly changed shoes and started running out an exit.

WELL! Let me tell you, these volunteers were NOT having it! They basically tackled me to the ground stopping me from going out of what turned out to be the bike exit.

Embarrassed, and a little angry for wasting that time I turned and ran in the direction the fingers were pointing me. I finished 3rd in my age group.

My Top Mistakes as a Newbie Triathlete

5 September 2009 712 views No Comment
Print or Email:

Here’s a list of the top 10 mistakes I made as a brand new triathlete. I hope that you will learn a little from these yourself and also share some of your priceless mistakes, because lets face it, they’re hilarious when you think back on them!

Wait, where’s my timing chip!?

During one of my first races I was all pumped because it was a smaller sprint race without much hefty competition. I was convinced I would place in my age group and might have worked myself into a bit of an overconfident swagger heading down to the lake. Oh, come to think of it some of my college buddies were there as well so I was extra excited to show off my mad skills!

So, anyway, the gun goes off and I scramble into the water zealously and swim away. Man, what a crazy swim! The “lake” was barely the size of an Olympic pool and even shallower so it was pandemonium to say the least. I make it through after much swerving and ducking and pull myself out of the water and into T1.

I do the usual Tri Dance to get out of my wetsuit, get my socks on (more on that in a minute!), glasses, helmet, and run out. Quick check of my person, wait, where the hell’s my timing chip!? So I panic. Quickly run back to my transition area after stashing my bike SOMEwhere and start madly shaking out my wetsuit looking for it – nothing. I searched my ENTIRE transition area. What was I THINKING!? Its not in the 100 assorted band-aid box!

Finally, I get some sense to talk to someone and sprint across the grass in my bike shoes to an official (how cool am I?) who just shrugs and says “Finish your race, they’ll have your time based on your wave.”
Moral of the story: Seriously, how bad is it REALLY that you’ve lost a piece of plastic with dodgy old Velcro holding it on your leg? Finish your race.

Late to Race Start

I think this is my favorite. Granted this was the Chicago Triathlon with over 10,000 participants, but still, late to the start??

Well, it started with me being all OCD and anal about the perfection of my transition area. There I am, setting up the IDEAL position for my glasses in my helmet and perfectly perching my bike equidistant away from the guys to my right and left so as not to have it fall over while trying to position my towel underneath it (hey, you hear all those horror stories about correctly setting up your Transition area so why not make sure that never EVER happens to you?).

Then, Brian didn’t care to notice that the transition area was getting extremely empty and announcers were warning him to leave or they’ll drag him out. Then, he didn’t care to check the time or make sure he knew where the start was. No, he’d prefer to join the line with 35 others waiting in front of a porta potty.

After finishing up I started moseying along with the crowd towards what LOOKED like the swim start. Well, after walking for a little I noticed that it is in fact the swim FINISH! I got a little shiver (partially also because the sun hadn’t even risen yet) and kept walking. This eventually turned into a brisker walk as I began to see the starting line almost a MILE away!

What felt like an hour later I began hearing what the announcer was saying. Guess what I heard? “3…2…1…GO!!” and yes, that was my wave. The first one. At 6am.

So there goes Brian, sprinting, barefoot. Getting more of a warm-up than originally expected while dodging a crowd of absolutely incredible proportions! (Wow, I never realized THAT many people cared! I love Chicago!) He reached the start chute where they actually had to funnel people like cattle because of the amount of racers, shoved his way through and in a frenzy tried to explain to an official that THIS cap color is IN the water already and what on earth should he do?? Once again, a shrug and “well.. GO!”

I leapt into the water and swam after what was already the second wave. The last thing I heard with a quick stroke of butterfly (to hide the SHAME!) was “Aww, give this poor guy some support.” Thank you announcer.

Moral of the story: DON’T BE LATE!! Oh, and the Chicago Triathlon Swim Start is REALLY far from transition.

P.S. Later I found out that I probably would have won my division if I hadn’t been late. Then again, would I have been as fast?

Slow Transition

OK, I’m only going to use this excuse once. It was my first triathlon, so what! There.

Basically I ran up the beach from my swim feeling awesome. I was so excited to be in my first Triathlon and to have my girlfriend (and biggest fan) chasing after me to get some shots of me like catching a glimpse of a celebrity. I felt special!

So here’s how to have the longest transition in the WORLD – or at least as cool as mine. Jog into transition and find your area. Then take your wetsuit off slowly, making sure NOT to let it touch the ground or have the Velcro stick to the wrong part. Put your racing shirt on – only now because you didn’t think it would dry (who knows what I was thinking) and worry about the slew of energy gels that are falling out of the back pockets. Then take as much time as possible to carefully dry your feet (because NOW’s when you should worry about athletes’ foot) and put your socks on PERFECTLY.

I forget what I did after that but I believe it consisted of my girlfriend rolling her eyes at me for being SO slow and me throwing her a proud glance of how quickly I got so ready to race. One thing is for sure – all those gels I took time to re-insert into my shirt were nowhere to be found once actually ON my bike.
Moral(s) of the story: Be quick and ruthless. You don’t have to pamper your wetsuit. It will hold up better than you think. One tip I got (later) was to actually cut a few inches off the bottom so its easier to get over your ankles.

Put all your racing attire on UNDER your suit or wear the “onesy”, or whatever you’re going to wear if wetsuits aren’t allowed from the start. It’s a time-saver!

You don’t REALLY need socks. Ok, if you’re doing an Ironman and you’ve never really ran sockless then you probably will, but a couple small blisters won’t be that bad on a sprint triathlon.

Keep it simple. With all the equipment available for Triathlon its easy to get carried away and buy all the gadgets you could possibly think of. Well, try to be prepared if you must have it all. Strap things to your bike in advance. Have your shoes / glasses / helmet etc. all ready to go. A transition bag is more for transPORT than for the actual transition. Fishing for all those things out of a bag is not going to help!

Removing bike shoes too early

I think I did this for quite a few of my first races. It basically involves a turn with several volunteers pointing the way and some street cones.

For some reason, I believed that an over 90 degree turn meant “I must be really close to transition.” “I think I’ve been riding long enough!?” “They’re making me slow down so why wouldn’t I be?” Well, no, no, and because you’re just turning!!

Anyway, on these occasions I would turn the corner and see at least another mile or two of open road ahead of me. Then I would contemplate the embarrassment of putting my (socked) feet back into my shoes or just ride away from it all as quickly as possible. Well, I always chose the latter and vowed to be more mindful of where to ACTUALLY get my feet out of my shoes.

Moral of the story: Check out the course before you head out so you know more or less what the finish will look like. Try to envision your approach to T2 and be ready to make it quicker than T1!

Check Transition Entry / Exit

This is one of those tips that you’re just like “Yeah, yeah, I’ll know where to bike out and where to run out.” That’s what I thought at least. Well, I learned my lesson the hard way.

This triathlon was known as a “Super-sprint” because it was half the distance of a sprint – 400m Swim, 10K bike, 3k run (or maybe even less). So, obviously, every second counts in a race that only lasts about 45 minutes. This was a really fun race and I would recommend it to anyone who is new to Triathlon or anyone who needs a change of pace from the usual hours of masochistic pleasure.

Accordingly, I was in quite a good mood for this race and extremely motivated to have fun and do well at the same time. I nailed the swim – swimming my heart out because this is my forte – and came out the water first or second (grin!). I ran up the beach and, having learnt my lesson, was ready for a strong and quick transition. T1 was good and I biked hard. I came back in and quickly changed shoes and started running out an exit.

WELL! Let me tell you, these volunteers were NOT having it! They basically tackled me to the ground stopping me from going out of what turned out to be the bike exit.

Embarrassed, and a little angry for wasting that time I turned and ran in the direction the fingers were pointing me. I finished 3rd in my age group.

Bad Swim Positioning

As far as this one goes I’ve been both over-zealous and too humble. Good swim positioning can really help you have an enjoyable race.

First off, over-zealous: Well, I consider myself a pretty good swimmer. I was a competitive swimmer for quite a number of years before I switched to rowing and then Triathlon. But on this particular occasion I really should have hung back a little! What was I THINKING!?

Regardless of what I was thinking (which was obviously that I’m half shark or something), I should have taken into consideration that I had already raced that morning! I was on my second tri of the day in the Chicago Triathlon Triple Challenge[LINK] and was a little zonked to say the least. The gun went off and I felt like one of those guys in “The Running of the Bulls” in Spain that just doesn’t cut it! Needless to say I got bowled over by the fresh guys, who, by the way, were in their late thirties or early forties – can’t remember which age group but, PROPS!

Second, too humble. I think this was on one of my very first triathlons but I was trying to be nice to the crowd around me. So, I positioned myself behind a few people more or less in the middle of the pack. WELL, did I have a lot of ankles to get through that day! I’m pretty ruthless so I apologize to anyone that got in my way that I myself bowled over or yanked at their ankles, but seriously, “swervers” are NOT cool!

Moral of the story: Try to know your strength in the swim. It is a little difficult to tell what the rest of the pack is like but I think generally by the size of the race you can tell how many better swimmers you will find yourself among. It can really suck to be both too far back or too far forward, but hey, if you find yourself in either, challenge yourself to either STAY ahead or GET ahead!

Dehydration

Another “told you so” tip from many fellow athletes, coaches and annoying friends who barely know what they’re talking about, “Make sure you’re WELL hydrated for a race!”

At this tri I felt pretty good coming out of my swim, excellent on the bike (had borrowed some racing wheels, sweet!), but THEN! Man, I really did not realize how thirsty I was on the bike. I sipped a little at a time as usual but was very excited about my speed on those wheels and a little distracted by my timing chip incident (see above!) and didn’t realize the pain about to attack me.

I got to T2, threw on my shoes and sprinted out. I don’t know if that was it or if I was full of water or running especially empty (if you know tell me!), but I don’t think I’ve EVER had such a chainsaw ripping through my side as that stitch. For the first mile and a half at LEAST I could barely manage a limpy shuffle run.

Anyway, moral of the story: Drink plenty of water the day before your race. Make sure your mouth is never dry. Sip constantly and see the difference in your race the next morning. You can thank me then!

Lack of Zzzzzzleep

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the dehydration thing. Your body just doesn’t do well with lack of sleep. What happened to me was this:

Setting up my transition area took FOREVER! Its amazing how clumsy and forgetful you can get when you’re tired!

At the start I was yawning and kind of scratching my head, distracted by the smallest things.
The gun went off and it was more like an “invitation” into the water instead of the start of a RACE!
Ok, the water woke me up with a SHOCKER but that’s how I should have felt BEFORE entering the water!

Quick moral: Try to get a good night’s rest the day before and two days before your race. Two days before will actually affect you a lot more than the very night before. The morning of the race will get your adrenaline going so it should be pretty easy to wake up at 5am, especially if you’ve been training in the morning!

SPRINT!!

I don’t know if this is as much a mistake as something I think I could have done better, and would recommend to others: Build a good hard sprint into your finish.

For my first few races I committed myself to sprinting all out for the last quarter mile or 400m or so. I think I’ve done this pretty successfully and end up being at 90-100% speed at the finish line. But, almost every time I found that I ended up having enormous reserves left!

My Better Half was standing at the finish line the one day and congratulated me on finishing so beautifully. But then obnoxious energetic Brian decided to pop out and was all “hoppy” and energetic! Cue the rolling eyes.

It might have been post race “runner’s high” but I was SO energetic that I felt like I could have done the race again! Twice!

Moral? Well, as the Oracle in “The Matrix” said; “Temet Nosce.” Know Thyself. Get to know your body and how far and hard you can push it and perhaps you can start running harder for the last mile or even two!

Warm-up

Ok, last one. You absoLUTELY do need to warm up before your race. I’ve made this mistake on several occasions and probably lost a good amount of time because of it.

I’m just gonna skip to the Moral on this one (enough is enough huh?): Well, by warming up you get your blood flowing through your veins, your mind becomes more alert, you become fully awake and aware of your surroundings (and your body!) and you can take some time to visualize your race. I’m sure there are a number more benefits than the ones I’ve mentioned here, but one thing is for certain, you will NOT waste energy by warming up. You’ll probably have a better race actually!

To Warm Up: All you need to do is a little jog to break a sweat. That should be the bare minimum. If you have a trainer, it might be good to get on your bike for a little in transition or even ride down the road a little. Do some kinetic stretches (read Backslaps) for your swim if you can’t get in before your race and just get things moving!

I wish you all the best for your races and hope you can learn from some of my mistakes! If you have any to add I would love to hear about them, especially if they’re comical! Nothing like a good laugh at lessons learned!

2009-09-25 12:12 PM

User image

Savin Hill
that was funny
2009-09-26 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2424629

User image

Veteran
there's another reason to avoid budweiser!  that stuff will kill you.

Bumped into Seren last night at packet pickup and she told me about your hit; i am very glad to hear that you were not seriously hurt sean; you are such an animal!

see you sunday!
2009-09-26 8:59 AM

User image

Savin Hill
Thanx, I will see you tommorow good luck to all.
2009-09-26 1:23 PM

Veteran
New York
Tomorrow is going to be a LOT of fun. I'll be there early tomorrow for pickup as I couldn't get to check in yesterday.
2009-09-26 2:55 PM

Veteran

Sean's the social butterfly who's met a quite of few of you here, so I'll have him introduce me to all of you. Unless of course you see me in my bright pink tri suit just come and say, "Hi Debbie".

Have Fun, Feel Good and Finish with a smile on your face. Woohoo! Smile

2009-09-26 8:54 PM

User image

sean ..glad you are ok. 

Good luck tomorrow everyone.  Haven't put much training in but I will be there
2009-09-27 5:42 PM

User image

New user
Congrats everyone -- can't wait to see where BTers finished, and what people thought of the course.  That surf was wild today!  i'm thinking I got in at 1:37 -- on my first ever tri.
2009-09-27 6:21 PM

User image

Savin Hill
Thats awasome, The waves there were great I think I had more fun pre race body surfing lol. I hit top 24 in 1:00:fifty something seconds I belive. This was my fourth race and can't belive finishing top 25 and didn't place for my age group, Those who beat me know this I am Commin4yea next year so train hard I will. And I'm gonna try to win it.
2009-09-27 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2427590

User image

Edited by jgalvin 2009-09-27 7:03 PM
2009-09-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2428767

Veteran
New York
jgalvin - It was nice meeting you today. What happened to your post??

I wish the splits were up already! geesh

I was 1:50:something and pretty happy considering my lack of training because of the wedding and the fact that Im only now transitioning from walking to running. I did manage to jog the last 2 miles of the race, so I'm pretty happy with that part. Between that and doing the last two miles of the bike with a busted spoke and still making a respectable time was awesome. Wasn't real fond of the swim though. Didn't do very well. I think the cold and lack of ocean practice didnt help, though I felt pretty good in my wetsuit.

Edited by techknowgn 2009-09-27 8:35 PM

2009-09-28 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Still no results?  So, anyone see the idiot who was late for the first wave?  You know, the guy who sprinted down the entire beach 30 seconds or so after his whole wave was in the water?  Yeah, that was me.  Except it wasn't really my wave!  I saw the white caps go and everyone start cheering so I started running over and someone yelled "Hurry, that's your wave dude!".  I had a great swim and had the course to myself pretty much since it was the first wave.  Pretty damned funny.

If you can believe it that was relatively calm for the swim.  Windy bike course huh?  How about that wall of wind on the run turnaround?  Not very well run I have to say.   How do you have ONE PERSON checking people in at registration?  The ramp at the finish was interesting but a finish on the beach would have been safer and made for better sprints to the finish.
2009-09-28 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Results ARE up.  They are on coolrunning not Active (link below).  There are no splits and I don't think they have fixed all time discrepancies yet.  I am listed as 4th overall but I "cheated" by 8 minutes (wrong wave).  I filed the paperwork to get the 8 minutes added to my time right after the race too.

Hockeyhands did however finish 4th overall and first in his age group!

http://coolrunning.com/results/09/ma/Sep27_Fantas_set1.shtml 
2009-09-28 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2428881

User image

Hey there Techknowgn.   It was great to meet you yesterday.  Not sure what happened to my post.  I'll fall back on "user error"  I finished in 1:23:00.  I'm very happy with that for my first Tri.  I hope they get the splits posted soon.  The swim was an adventure.  Not exactly what I expected.  Looking forward to next season!!!!
2009-09-28 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2429234

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Great race everyone!  I really enjoyed yesterday's event and had a lot of fun.  We've been busting rcberto's pretty hard ever since the race ended about the little mishap he had with the start, but he's been a great sport about it.  I hope everyone would do this, but I really commend him for telling the race organizers about what happened so they can correct the time.

Once again, nice job everyone, I'll definitely be back next year!
2009-09-28 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Congrats to everyone!! comin4yea...you will tear it up next year no doubt!   I came in at 1:30:09 not bad for having bilateral archilles tendons injuries on my first tri ever!  I am pretty happy although I vow to be better next year, hopefully without the injuries.  

2009-09-28 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
There is a youtube video for the race.  Look for the idiot at 0:50.  That's yours truly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50f2dJBZyFc 
2009-09-28 3:36 PM

User image

Savin Hill
Oh man thats rough, atleast you have agood sence of humor about the whole thing, thats what counts. and Hockey hands you killed it 4th place I'm definetly gonna train my of just to try to keep up with you Awsome job.
2009-09-28 6:19 PM

Veteran
New York
Anyone find the picture site for the race? I cant find it anywhere!
2009-09-28 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2430718

Veteran
New York
OOOH! Time updates are in. Fixes were done, and I wound up being 1 minute faster in the official times! woohoo!

Although, now there are 4 people ahead of the overall winner, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens with these.

Edited by techknowgn 2009-09-28 6:37 PM
2009-09-28 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2430751

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
techknowgn - 2009-09-28 7:35 PM OOOH! Time updates are in. Fixes were done, and I wound up being 1 minute faster in the official times! woohoo!

Although, now there are 4 people ahead of the overall winner, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens with these.

They still don't look right.  I suspect some more changing will be done.

2009-09-28 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2430845

Veteran
New York

Did you see them with the splits? They said they didn't have all the splits, and it looks like they don't have transitions either. I'm pretty sick of race timing. I mean really, it is NOT that hard, even with rain. Buy quality cabling; buy the proper machinery. Get a laptop (like a toughbook) that handles the elements.

Will it ever be 100% perfect? No, but it'll be closer.

2009-09-29 5:46 AM

Great job to everyone that raced Sunday under those conditions. I raced Duxbury Sat and decided to sit this one out and watch. About the timing thing, Duxbury's got messed up as well, I have only a swim time, no bike and run, along with a bunch of others, must have been a glitch of some sort. It was fun to watch though, I saw someone in T1 who had a helper in there folding clothes and towels, I had to bite my tounge, until they  put in headphones and started wheeling the bike out of T1. I then told one of the volunteers they had headphones in and they stopped them and said they were not allowed, the person then pulled an attitude and said I don't know what the problem is I did this race with them last year. I don't want to be a tattle tale but when they are jepoardizing others safety on the course I will tell especially with course conditions on Sunday.
2009-09-29 7:11 AM

Veteran
New York
We had a runner with headphones, but I didn't see him until I was mid run. There were a couple disqualifications, so I'm guessing they caught the headphones, and they had someone make a wrong turn and screw up their timing.

I really want to find the pictures though. I got the business card, but can't find it.
2009-09-29 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
so this is where different RDs get different reputations.  These races are both bare bones races - very homey if you will - don't expect transition times - you are definitely lucky in these smaller races to get splits.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6