General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm a triathlete now, too, but... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-05-16 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: I'm a triathlete now, too, but...

I'm not sure that I'm hooked.

I did my first this weekend, the Fort Yargo State Park Sprint Tri in Winder, GA.  It was a great, tough, challenging, and self-assuring experience. I, as all the others, appreciate the support of BT.com to give me the guidance, wisdom, and encouragement to finish.

But, I totally wigged out in the water.  It was my first open water swim because I don't trust myself to swim alone.  I sucked a lot of water, got crawled all over, spent a lot of time in "sweet spot" on my back muttering to myself, "Find a happy place, find a happy place, FIND A HAPPY PLACE, DAGNABIT!" and generally muddled through the water, as my 18+ min. for 600 yds will attest to.  A large part of that was on my back trying to calm down enough to keep going.

The bike and the run were awesome; they were everything I expected them to be.  I was happy with the times given the challenging nature of the courses. See attached topography of the bike course.  But, to be honest, I'm not sure that I can get in the water again.

Fort Benning is sponsoring a "reverse triathlon" where participants run then bike then swim on June 4th.  I was considering it, but now there's no way.  I'm not going to do my weakest event when my body is at it's weakest.  I may do another State Park tri that same weekend, though; I don't want to "leave" the sport with a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while I'm not excited about my next tri, I am feeling the extra challenge that my weak swim is going present.  If just for the mental victory, I will enter another triathlon and try to improve my time.  But, I'm not overly excited to get in another one.

(CourseTopoFY2005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CourseTopoFY2005.jpg (34KB - 10 downloads)

2005-05-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: #158448

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: I'm a triathlete now, too, but...
I think that's a pretty common reaction to your first OW swim. I seriously thought I was going to die during my first one. I wanted to quit so bad but I couldn't imagine facing the humilation of giving up.
It does get better, though. I'm by no means an old hand at this sport, but even my 2nd swim was heads above the first.

-Seb
2005-05-16 2:28 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I don't think your reaction to open water is unusual, especially as it was your first time.  I made it through mine this weekend, but the first half was borderline panick attack before I calmed myself (somewhat at least).  My sister on the other hand said she may have to stick to duathlons after she had to breast stroke the whole race (she said she couldn't even breathe on her back).  In the next breath she was saying we should try to get some open water practice next week where we are doing a relay (neither of us is doing the swim).

I guess what I'm saying is that you should definitely give youself a few more chances in the water to find that happy place.  And congrats on finishing your first tri!

2005-05-16 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I sort of did the same thing on my first sprint. It took me about 30 minutes to do a 400m ocean swim. I think at most I did 5 free style strokes, the rest doggie paddle, breast stroke, and elementary back stroke. What an embarrassment, but I did finish.

I now go to the ocean to swim every Sat with a couple of buddies of mine, and have no fears or problems swimming in the ocean anymore (except for sharks )

2005-05-16 2:51 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
I had the same experience. I ended up hanging on to and then actually sitting on the ropes connecting the course bouys. I was pretty demoralized even though I finished. Had to get back on the horse that threw me though. My second swim in a tri was totally different. Give it another race or two.
2005-05-16 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
You can do it! I went through the same thing and my second race was so much better! Just relax - I let my whole wave go off for about 15 seconds before I went and it just allowed me to swim at my own pace, breath, sight, etc.

My first swim was definitely one of the most traumatic experiences of my whole life! I thought I was going to drown, no kidding! (after the race somebody told me I couldn't since my wetsuit it buoyant!) That trauma just made me want that second race so BAD and after that one I felt great!

Don't give in yet! Do that second race then make your decision - i'm sure it will be a very easy one !

2005-05-16 3:00 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Hawkeye, you did well getting over your fear and not dropping out of the race. It takes a lot of guts to face down that kind of panic and keep moving. Lots of people freak in OW...even some who are used to it.

Can you find a swim buddy to go out in OW and swim with you? What about going out on a boat on the local lake and going water skiing or some other fun activity where you're in the water but without the pressure of competing in anything? The key to OW is just to be in it, a lot. Nothing will happen to you, and you know that mentally but you've got to convince your body and your gut that it's true.

You can conquer this OW thing but you have to find a way to be out in it more. You've got the worst one done, the next one will be a lot better. After that, if you don't like tri'ing, then so be it. There's plenty of duathlons out there that are tough. Good luck with it.
2005-05-16 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
Forget about that, will get easier with practice.  You are a triathlete!
2005-05-16 3:34 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Good job on your first tri! I didn't do an OW swim for my first reason due to some OW fears. Last summer when I was water skiing with family, we anchored and I went out to swim (not workout, just relaxing in the water) before we headed back. I got caught in a current and would swim and swim and swim and swim and get nowhere. I panicked, and with help from my hubby, I got back to the boat. I could've gotten out of it, but I was tired after a long day on the water, and my head got the best of me. That was the last time I was in the water last summer, so this summer I need to get in and practice being in the water (swimming, playing skiing whatever). Don't give up on tri's yet. Is there an tri with a pool swim you might be able to do while you work on your OW swims?

-Sarah
2005-05-16 3:36 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

1st of all cheer up! You accomplish something really special and you should be proud of it. Something similar happened to me on my 1st tri but more out of anxiety that anything else. Been in the water with other 200+ crazy people is pretty tough and humbling experience. As everyone else said, just practice open water swimming. After been swimming at a lake with other fellow athletes several times, most of my fears and anxiety issues had disappeared. I have the confidence that I CAN cover the distance, yet I still get some how anxious at the beginning of a race. Definitely the swim is portion is when I get to struggle the most with negative thoughts, but once I pass that I am so pumped that I get to enjoy even more the bike and run parts...

2005-05-16 4:03 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations Triathlete!

In spite of a rough time during the swim, you had the training and techniques available to handle it and carry on. Good Job! I hope more practice and exposure to OW will increase your comfort in it and let you get "hooked".

2005-05-16 4:17 PM

User image

Buttercup

Tom, I am saddened to hear that your swim event was so stressful to you. I've been a swimmer since I was 7 and I always assume that everyone loves the water and swimming as I do - and if they don't, well, what's wrong with them?! I don't know what to say to help you through this mental block other than to say...

Don't give up! You encountered an extremely stressful situation and you conquered it! You did it! You can do it again!  You'll do it better next time! Come on, Baby, you can do it! (I learned that last one from a Marine).

Give yourself time to regroup. Put it in perspective. Look at your swimming through the eyes of a coach - what advice would you give yourself to have a better performance next time? And, YES THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME! Don't make me come up there!

2005-05-16 4:56 PM

I also did my first triathlon this weekend in New Jersey and you shouldn't feel bad about the swim at all! I ended up treading water for about 8 minutes in the beginning while I decided whether I was going to go through with it or not. I completely panicked in the water. But I told myself to stop being a wimp and to just go forward. Ended up doing the backstroke and breaststroke for most of the .6 mile. I probably did about 30 strokes freestyle.

But I'm looking forward to the next one...it's in June. At least the fear is over with...now if I could only swim faster...:-)
2005-05-16 5:15 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Sorry I missed you at the race.  I looked for people by the All3Sports tent but didn't see anyone.  I later saw some of the BTers but not you.

First off, don't forget that your swim time includes the death march up the splinter trail to the transition area, so you were faster than 18 minutes!

Second, it ONLY GETS BETTER!  This was my 2nd time and it was better than the first.  We'll try to schedule some group BT open water training so we can all get some more practice.  Swimming is my weakest link too so I share your frustration.  If it's too much a trek for you from Columbus, I'm sure you can find some volunteers to swim right in front of you in the pool so you can simulate the feeling of a group swim.  Rambunctious kids would serve this purpose well! ;-)

Third, I have not been overly impressed with the Tri Blue Sky group thus far.  Frankly, I'm not impressed with anyone that can't supply me with a Diet Coke afterwards, but that's a personal issue I suppose.  The GA Multisports group did a great race up in Acworth (Atlanta Women's Sprint Tri) and I'm looking forward to doing some more of their races.

I saw your race report and think you did an awesome job for your first race!  This was nowhere near as easy as my first race was and I don't think I would have been a happy camper if it was my first.  In fact, considering I didn't have clipless shoes for my last race, I'm pretty sure I would have had to walk up some of those hills had I done it then.

So, congratulations triathlete!  You kicked butt!

2005-05-16 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

GOOD FOR YOU! Do not give up. As my Muay Thai kickboxing instructor is always saying, "it is not a weakness but an opportunity to improve!"

If you are looking for something to build you confidence in OW again maybe you should try the Hughston Orthopedic Hospital's Sprint Triathlon up at Callaway Gardens.  It is near you...you are in Columbus right?  It is short and an easy course and the swim will follow the shoreline of a calm lake.  From what they say if you stay on the left side of the course (right maybe?) the water is only five feet deep.  Maybe would be a good one to do so you can just step back and regroup.  It is on June 26th.  Let me know if you want more info.  Private message me so you know I will get it.

Michael

2005-05-17 3:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
Sounds like you did good and next one you will be more experienced.. yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaa

2005-05-17 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Strangely enough, my first Tri swim went well and my second one was a disaster. I was over anxious and panicked. I regrouped for my third try, waited a bit for most of my wave to depart, and then had a great swim that boosted my confidence level again. Give it one or two more tries before bagging the sport ...
2005-05-17 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Great words of advice from all...the swim, bike & run in my first tri all sucked so at least you only had a bad experience with one discipline. Keep racing & keep training, work hardest on the weakness & you'll see improvements.

2005-05-17 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Thanks for the kind words everybody!  The more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll do another one just to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

This is why I love this site: everyone is so dog-gone supportive!

2005-05-17 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Tom, I've been thinking about your post ever since I read it yesterday.  The people before me have made some very good comments.  Triathlon is a great sport, but it can be intimidating.  It would seem that swimming, biking and running would be easy, second nature.  But, I'm here to tell you that there is a very steep learning curve associated with triathlons. 

I do not believe your results are due to ability of lack of potential.  I would credit your bad experience to a lack of experience.  Just 10 days ago, I did an OW swim in the Gulf of Mexico, swimming 1.2miles and came in 40th out of my age group of 161.  At my very first triathlon 10 months ago, in August of last year (High Falls State Park), I experienced that same “freak out” factor as you did.  I swallowed a lot of water, couldn't breathe, my HR soared, I had to stop and tread water quite a bit, even did the breast stroke for about 1/3 of the course.  It was awful and almost caused me to abandon the sport.

Instead of quitting, I decided to reapply myself.  I enrolled in a Master's Swim program and really worked very hard on swimming.  Swimming is all about volume.  The more you do it, the better, faster, and more comfortable you'll be in the water.  I also forced myself to get in a few open water swims.  I gradually became very, very comfortable till now where I feel swimming has become my favorite component of the triathlon.

There is nothing easy about this sport.  I hope you choose to sign up for another race.  When you don't succeed, you have two options:  1) Let it defeat you and quit, or 2) Use it as an opportunity to learn, grow, and become strong.  When you come up short and quit, that to me is failure.  When you come up short, and use that to learn and become better, that's what I call experience.

You are not a quitter.  Everybody has been through this in one form or another.  Just nut it up and commit yourself to improving your comfort in the water before your next event

Edited by Motivated 2005-05-17 9:37 AM

2005-05-17 9:55 AM

User image

Gainesville/Marietta/Atlanta, GA
Hawkeye--I t-totally feel you on this! I, too, did the Ft. Yargo Tri and I also freaked out in the water! The swim is obviously my weakest leg by far and this was my first tri and first open water swim. I was very very disappointed in my swim, but I am determined to get better at the swim. Coming out of the water, I just shook off the "trauma" of the swim and went full force on the bike and run. I have been beating myself up over the swim, but this only gets me more determined to get better! I went to the pool on Monday and swam 1200m with no problem! OW is just sooo different and I just wasn't prepared for it--I guess you can't really ever be prepared for your first OW swim. I am signed up for the Mistletoe St. Park Tri in June, so I have a set goal to improve by. Please please don't get too discouraged over this first tri. I know that they always say that you will never forget your first tri, but I would love to just forget the swim part of mine! Even through it all, I want to look back and see how much improvement I've made, so I'm welcoming the challenge! I'm hoping to get a few open water swims in over the coming weekends to prepare for the next one. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of the other BTers (except for Whit and Chris who I'd met before the race), but I would love to meet some of y'all at the next one.

So, keep your training up, your confidence high, your support high, and all will work out (it has to, right?lol) 'Cause at the end of the day, you are a TRIATHLETE now!!! Not many can say that!

2005-05-17 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Dude, almost all of us have had that type of experience the first time in open water.  Here's mine:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3492

Short story is that I swam 500 meters in 2:28/100m that day.  Almost all breaststroke/sweet spot.  It was atrocious.  Nearly a year later, I did an Ironman swim in 1:56/100m pace. 

It gets better, but only if you stick with it.

2005-05-17 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Swimming is not for everybody... Give yourself a break. After all it was your first...
1.- You take the challenge of improving your swimming. The better you swim the better you will feel.
2.- Forget about swimings and concentrate on duathlons... Run and bike... nothing wrong about that.
The improtant is to feel confortable and have fun.
2005-05-17 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Never fear Hawkeye, it can only get better. Listen to this true life open water swim history:

1st OWS, New Life Triathlon, Coralville, Iowa, 1999: No competitive swimming or OW swim background whatsoever. Entire field swam over me. Breaststroked at least half the way and threw in a little sidestroke to catch my breath and find the buoys.

2nd OWS, Torquay, Victoria, Australia, 2003: 1000m ocean swim, first time swimming in a wetsuit ever. Entire field swam over me. In first 300m SERIOUSLY considering swimming to one of the lifesaving kayaks and asking for a tow back to shore. Windy, high waves, couldn't see a thing, completely freaked out, and all my friends were on shore watching me.

3rd OWS, Gatorade Tri Series, St. Kilda, Victoria, Aus. 2003: 500m swim in sprint tri and there are JELLYFISH BIGGER THAN MY HEAD in the water. By the time I see them I'm nearly at the turnaround point. Nearly hyperventilate. On the bright side, good swim time from massive panic!

5th OWS, Pigman Tri, Palo, Iowa, 2004: Finally have a tri wetsuit and have trained for lake swimming. Catch up to wave in front of me (no kidding!), swim faster splits than I've been swimming in the pool! Completely psyched!

Not sure what the moral is here, other than it was a great feeling finally to triumph over the dreaded OWS. Or maybe it's that anyone with half a brain would've quit after the jellyfish incident. U b the judge. You'll be fine, just give it a few tri-s.
2005-05-18 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Hawkeye,

Your first experience sounds like mine- I had no open water practice and found myself really surprised by the freak out I experienced.  As the countless bodies climbed, crawled and kicked their ways past me all I could think about was if there was some way to get back to shore without looking like a big quitter.  Once everyone left me behind I found I was able to calm down and focus on trying to move forward (with frequent changes from freestyle to backstroke).  I certainly didn't enjoy any portion of the swim- it was really hard work- but I felt great when I was done because I had pushed through something that was so scary and difficult.

My play for this year is to start at the back and outside of the pack.  I haven't had the chance to do any open water swims since that tri experience (bad me), but I do hope to make it for at least one practice session before my first OW race in a month.  This weekend I'm doing a race with a pool swim and look forward to being in a more familiar environment.

Good for you for sticking with something that was so hard.  It's got to get easier from here!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm a triathlete now, too, but... Rss Feed  

of 2