General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having my bike "fitted" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-27 11:27 PM

Charlotte
Subject: Having my bike "fitted"
OK - I just bought my first bike. It is used, but in great shape and seems to have the right "parts" based on what I've gleaned from reading many of the posts on this site.  My question is this: I think if should take it to the bike shop to have it "fitted" to me, but what exactly does that mean??? I mean, can I do it myself? What do I do? I understand that it has something to do with making sure the seat height and handlebar height are correct - is that something I can figure out myself?? Also, what can I expect to pay for such a service at a bike shop?  This is a pretty vague area to me and any feedback would be appreciated!!

2009-08-27 11:49 PM
in reply to: #2375555

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Having my bike "fitted"
A bike fitting is so much more than changing seat height and handlebar position...

A professional fit should include there three parts:

Interview:
The fitter discusses any known problems with you (could be a sore back, knee problems, etc. etc.), what type of riding you do (long distance riding, time trial, sprint triathlons, Ironmans, etc.), what you goals are (if you he would only be able to set up the bike for what you are doing now, not what you would like to do next year).

Biomechanics:
The fitter will measure you body, check overall flexibility, check flexibility of specific joint/areas. This combined with the interview gives the fitter enough information to actually put you on the bike

Bike fit:
Here's where the fitter will use you measurements to get you in the most optimal position. Seat height (and tilt) and handlebar adjustments (both height of bar, but also stem length) are done. Plus, cleat position, crank length, etc. Some fitters use computer aided tools to do this (ex. Retul)

Some fitters also offer a followup if needed (the good ones does...) so you can come back within a set time period (could be within a month to 6 months) and work out anything that you have questions about (the reason why should probably shouldn't go back after a week is that the body needs to adjust to the new position).

The benefit of a bike fit is amongst others, better aerodynamics (especially on a tri bike, but also on road bike)(majority of the power you generate to propel forward is used to overcome wind resistance from the rider), more comfort (which means that you will stay fresh longer and get off the bike without pain, this also means that you are actually more motivated to get on the bike which leads to improvements...), and more power (your position will not hinder you muscles to work).

A good fitting is probably in the areas of $150-400, but in my opinion worth every cent.
2009-08-28 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2375555

Charlotte
Subject: RE: Having my bike "fitted"
Thanks for the post audiojan - that was very helpful. Next obvious question is: can anyone recommend a place to have my bike fitted? I'm in the Lake Norman area of Charlotte. The easy choice for me would be Carolina Bike Company on Gilead road.  I've been in there twice and found them to be very helpful and patient with a very obvious newbie.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Having my bike "fitted" Rss Feed