General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone ever questioned your health after losing weight? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2387441

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Has anyone ever questioned your health after losing weight?
GMM - 2009-09-03 1:14 PM ... or why I love working out so much. Uhhhh.....

But you know working out so much is not good for you.  You will run down your immune system, get the flu more often, and by gosh you are ruining your knees@!

...this coming from a couch potato  <eyeroll>

Gina, you're doing great and congratulations on completing your first Tri!!!

2009-09-03 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2375938

User image

New user

I have noticed that no one who has told ever told me I was "wasting away to nothing" or getting "too skinny" was of a single digit size. 
2009-09-04 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2388280

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-04 9:52 AM

Regular
Bishop, CA
Holy crap, it really gets to me when people make comments about the way I eat.  Every time I sit down to eat my lunch in the breakroom, and I'm having something like fruit and some nuts and some snap peas and a small sandwich on wheat bread, I inevitably get "wow you're just a health nut aren't you" or "you sure do eat healthy huh" or "why are you eating like that, you don't need to lose weight" from the people sitting there eating french fries and chicken strips or Taco Bell, but I notice that when I decide to bring some leftover pizza from home or get a fat sandwich from the deli nobody says a word.

I guess people fail to grasp that the reason I don't really need to lose weight is because I eat like that.  Oy ve. 
2009-09-04 9:57 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-04 1:28 PM

Expert
, North Carolina

Wow, looks like we've all heard some doozies!

I just wish I knew the best way to respond to these kinds of comments without sounding sarcastic or getting flustered. 

I usually just say that I feel better now than I ever have in my life...

2009-09-04 6:55 PM

New user

A woman at my gym has recently started chatting with me. She said she finds me inspiring because I work out hard and I look good. blush She is probably close to 60, she is VERY strong based on what she lifts, doesn't do much cardio, she looks to be 20-30 pounds overweight but otherwise looks good herself.

Anyway, whenever she talks to me, she seems to think everyone thin at the gym is anorexic or has an exercise addiction!

I'm afraid to tell her I think I'm 10+ pounds overweight and wish I had the discipline to eat right to lose it and keep it off. 

Edited by chasing3 2009-09-04 6:59 PM
2009-09-04 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2390071

Regular
maria40nc - 2009-09-04 2:28 PM

Wow, looks like we've all heard some doozies!

I just wish I knew the best way to respond to these kinds of comments without sounding sarcastic or getting flustered. 

I usually just say that I feel better now than I ever have in my life...

I get flustered too, but mostly I tell them what you do: that I feel amazing now and most of that feeling comes from eating right and working out.
And Maria--thanks SO much for your sweet words.   I am having a great time and am already planning my second tri for the spring of '09.

Edited by GMM 2009-09-04 8:16 PM
2010-06-02 5:53 PM

Regular
A few years ago I lost about 20 pounds and had the same thing happen to me.  People saying I didn't need to lose weight, wondering if I was okay, etc.  Funny thing is, if I were 20 pounds OVER weight, nobody would think a thing about it...nobody would ask about my health.  Funny how we - Americans in general - have the mindset that losing weight is unhealthy but eating fast food and being overweight is healthy.  I don't get it.
2010-06-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2897555

Expert
, North Carolina
Oh wow... how did you find this old buried thread?

But you are SO right!  Obesity seems to be more accepted than being thin now days.

I've actually gained a few pounds since last fall and people STILL ask me if I'm still losing weight.  I should say, "No.  But are you still gaining?"
2010-06-02 9:29 PM

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Reminds me of a coworker who asked me how many heads of lettuce I go through in a week. LOL guess I over do it a little on the salads.

Also, one day I forgot to bring a snack to work and was hungry so I got something out of the vending machine (which I rarely do). When another coworker saw me eating chips, she asked if I was ok or stressed out. She said it was the 1st time she had seen me eating junk food.

Well, nice that so many people think I'm such a health nut, but I'm a long way from where I eventually want to be. I still eat some of the processed junk, but over the past 2 years have been working on doing so less and less both for my sake and my family's.

2010-06-03 6:19 AM

For some people their odd comments are just an attempt at being supportive.

I am the boss at work, and have lost over 50lbs since January. However most that are interested know the reasons and k now what I have been doing and are fairly intrigued. It took until about 30llbs before people started to really notice. I do carry my weight differently, nobody would have guessed I was as heavy as I was because of the size of my chest/arms I always looked lighter than I was.

But since then most are very supportive, at least those that are saying something.

But for the most part I work with very unhappy and unhealthy people (prison) last year I did a charity 150 mile bike ride. I was heavier but I worked really hard at training. I rode alot. Way more than I do now. I am management and one of my workers was sick with Leukemia, he is actually the VP of the union. We always got along even if there were times we disagreed....anyways I rode in his honor, raised money in his name, and rode the entire way with his name on my back. I actually had people betting against me on the ride, people that worked for me. Rather than donate the cash to fight the disease they were making bets I couldnt do it. I broke a pedal with 2 miles to go. I refused to SAG out then, I rode the last 2 miles of a 150 mile ride, at 285lbs on a hybrid bike with one pedal.

You would think working in a prison people would be more health conscious, but just the opposite. The stress the crazy long hours, really really packs the weight on.

When I walked into the job I was a fit 6'2 person, on the thin side at 162. I began lifting weights and had single digit BF at 210. I promoted and the stress came, and my lifestyle suffered.....I went up to 309.

We have one worker that began running ALOT. Even though I somewhat question the amount he is running daily (only out of injury, not health reasons) he has dropped a TON of weight very quickly. People are saying he looks sick. I say he looks fit. A few people were just talking about that yesterday, one of the ladies that worked for me barked at someone about it. She responded that its not sick to look healthy and live a healthy lifestyle, and to quit being so jealous and get off your azz and do something.....LOL

I think this is a great thread. 
2010-06-03 7:12 AM

Extreme Veteran

- Usually people that question my health and nutritional habits are heavily overweight.

- Usually when I go to a party most people make fun of me because i don't want to drink until no more, or because I don't want to eat 10 different types of cake.

2010-06-03 9:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Lately I've been getting the "wow, you've lost a lot of weight!" kind of comments.  I generally respond, "I haven't lost that much, I've just been moving around what I have."  This is the truth. In the last 8 months I've gone from 210 to about 200ish but have thinned out significantly.

My favorite comment though is, "I'd run but I don't want to develop knee problems."  Like lugging an extra 50 pounds around all day is good for the knees.

I am fully convinced that most physical problems are more likely caused by under-use than over-use.
2010-06-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2898737

Tundra_Man - 2010-06-03 9:54 AM

My favorite comment though is, "I'd run but I don't want to develop knee problems."  Like lugging an extra 50 pounds around all day is good for the knees.

I am fully convinced that most physical problems are more likely caused by under-use than over-use.

I hear the knee issue all the time as well. I respond and tell them when I was 300lbs my knees hurt to walk up stairs. Within a few weeks of running even at that weight my knee problems have all but disappeared. I did qualify it with saying you must begin running correctly and pace yourself to avoid knee injuries, but since then. I dont remember the last time my knees bothered me. They used to just throb some evenings.
2010-06-03 2:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
New York
I have had the thing where people think I have cancer, mostly people at stores I regularly go to, who see me getting thinner over time. They ask, "Is everything.... ok? How are you doing?"

My best one was once when I was hiking the Appalachian Trail. This is a 6-month, 2000-mile hike so you burn some serious calories. I became very thin, like emaciated, because I just could not carry on my back, the 6,000 cals I needed to eat each day out on the trail. On trips to towns once a week to resupply, I ate like crazy.

At one all you can eat buffet, I ate about 7 plates of food and a pitcher of iced tea. All the waitresses kept eyeing me and whispering together, obviously talking about me. Then I had to pee, because of the tea. I went into the bathroom and was just finishing when one of the waitresses whipped the door open and looked at me (lock wasn't very good). I was like, "Uh, can I help you?" She said, "Oh sh*t, I thought you were in here making yourself throw up, we were all taking bets on it!"

She lost that bet! I honestly just needed to eat! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone ever questioned your health after losing weight? Rss Feed  

of 2