A midsummers night run
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 49m 30s
Overall Rank = 306/771
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 12/66
Pre-race routine:

Not too much. This race happens at night so it's a bit strange to try to have a routine for. I ate a sub and chocolate milk in the afternoon.

Event warmup:

We got there wickedly early so we chilled in the grass for a while. Eventually checked our bags and then lined up for the start.
Run
  • 2h 49m 30s
  • 30 kms
  • 05m 39s  min/km
Comments:

This was my 4th year running this one so not alot of surprise. They did start us an hour earlier than the previous year so it was warmer for that time. This wasn't an A race and from my previous experience I knew that the crowd starts fast so we (me and my running partner) strategized not to get carried away with them because this was more of a training run kicked up a notch - we still had to go back to our training schedule for our October marathon so we didn't have to prove anything to anyone out there!

Things generally went without a hitch and we encountered a number of folks we wanted to get away from - funny breathing guy, body odor guy, etc. Not too many people were dressed up for the theme in the 30k - i didn't as 30k is just too far to go wearing fairy wings or other non-running garb - too many chafing possibilities. But we saw a good portion of the 15k race and lots of them were dressed up. It was a nice distraction and we cheered for a few of them.

It was also nice this year that it didn't get fully dark until about 1k from the end so i didn't have any navigational issues. We were still doing well and keeping a reasonable pace at 21 and i thought i was getting fatigued. I was drinking at every aid station past 18k (my fuel belt bottles had run out). But I managed to keep the pace up as we were getting closer and then we just had a km left. We both picked up the pace. I nearly got stuck behind some 15kers but managed to sprint in the last 300m or so. I haven't had a good kick at the end of a race in a while. I wasn't as fatigued as I thought! It was good enough to finish 6 minutes better than last year and we were only 2 minutes or so off the 30k time in March which we had trained for as an 'a' race.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I was happy with the effort. I am surprised that I was thinking that i would pooch out. Need to work on the positive mental stuff.
Post race
Warm down:

Okay, here's where it gets embarrassing. I managed to sprint to the end and get across the finish and then i was just short of the medal hand out when my stomach clenched. I moved over to the grass and lost my lunch!
I was okay after that and went to get my medal and chip removed and such.

Event comments:

This is a good race with a cool theme and the gimmick of being at night. It was well organized. And even cooler is that they gave out stainless steel water bottles at the end instead of plastic disposable bottles.

Last updated: 2009-08-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:49:30 | 30 kms | 05m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 12/66
Overall: 306/771
Performance: Good
Course: Very flat course. A bit off the beaten path of toronto. Some roads, some park path, boardwalk and multiuse trail. Some scenic with city skyline and lake ontario and some industrial and not as nice. Very few road closures for this one.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes