EndorFun
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 47m 47s
Overall Rank = 568/1203
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 93/178
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 and had a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and some gatorade. Shaved and took a quick shower to wake up and headed out the door for gunstock to ride the shuttle over to the race site.
Event warmup:

After I waited in line for an eternity to use the bathroom, I put my wetsuit on and headed for the lake. I swam for maybe 10 minutes to get the blood flowing and to calm the nerves. This was nice considering the lake was crystal clear and awesome.
Swim
  • 38m 18s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the best swim I have ever had in a race. I wish I could swim in Lake Winnipesaukee every day! Beautiful.
What would you do differently?:

I could maybe have swam a little harder, but I blew up on the bike so it probably would not have made a difference.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

My transition was great! I felt good coming out of the water, and the wetsuit strippers were awesome. I put on my helmet and glasses and took off with my bike. All was great up to the point of getting on my bike. I jumped on my bike and started pedaling. I slipped my first foot into my shoe and suddenly realized that I had clipped my shoes on the wrong side of my bike. I stopped and switched the shoes around and off I went.

Clip my shoes on the pedals with my shoes on my feet.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to average 20mph and was close, but I should have slowed down a little and saved more for the run.

Pace myself a little more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Good transition for how tired I was. I did sit down to put my shoes on.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 11m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not sure if it was my nutrition or going too hard on the bike, by my quads were on fire after the first mile. It was a mental battle for the rest of the run to not walk because the burning in my legs was so bad. After accepting that this was going to be painful, miles 2 thru 9 went ok. After the final turnaround I started getting sudden cramps in my calves that would almost knock me down. I am not sure what caused the calf cramps, but I was just praying that they would not end my day.

Not sure. I could have went a little easier on the bike, or maybe drank more fluids, but in the end I will have to research to find the problem. The only thing for sure is I need to be in better conditioning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, and laid in the lake a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure, but when I go back to Timberman in 2011 I will be in much better shape. I did train well for this race, but I don't have the experience or the time to train that I hope to have in the years to come.

Event comments:

The late race start was due to a car accident on the bike course and was not the fault of the race organizers at all. I look forward to doing this race again. Oh and one more thing, getting your finisher medal from Chrissie Wellington was cool.

Last updated: 2009-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:18 | 1931 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/178
Overall: 978/1203
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca S1
Course: The course was sweet, and the water and scenery was sweeter! I would race more if the lakes here in Ohio looked like Lake Winnipesaukee! I could see the bottom in water probably 15 foot deep. I could see when someone was swimming close to me unlike here in Ohio where the only indication that there is someone next to you is when they run into you or wack you in the head...... Course was great.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:53:40 | 56 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Overall: 735/1203
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was again awesome. There was a few rough spots on the road, but not many. The hills were tough to get up but when you came down them it was all worth it. I hit 51mph down the Marsh Hill Monster. The stretch going out 106 was kind of boring, but smooth sailing. I think I went a little too hard on the bike, because I struggled on the last few miles and the run was difficult.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:11:09 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 792/1203
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was great with tons of support. I never imagined the amount of food and drinks they would have for us. There was one hill on the course that was painful to go down and coming back up it was a nightmare. All I could think about at the start of the second loop was having to climb that hill again. Overall the course was great.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-29 5:45 PM

User image

Mid Ohio
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-29 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2378230

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Awesome race!!!! You did an amazing job! And the weather was soooo horrid.
Congrats! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed