General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg International Distance Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cobourg International Distance Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cobourg, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada
16C / 61F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 56m 50s
Overall Rank = 27/46
Age Group = Women 40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Usual Mcd coffee and muffin. Drove to race site by myself, about 75min, in pouring rain. When I got there, John Salt, series race director, was announcing that they're reviewing the situation and the rules to determine the changes that would be made for the triathlon in light of the water conditions and weather, this tri being the provincial championships as well as the 2010 Worlds qualifier. At the end, they had to cancel the swim because they couldn't get the zodiacs past the breakers to plot the course, and there're 5ft troughs that would be too unsafe for the swim. The tri, while still a qualifier, was turned into a 5k run, 40k bike, and 10k run du, the reverse of my int'l du, 10k, 40k, 5k.
All races and waves started on a 15' delay, which was quite impressive considering all the consultations with OAT and TriCan officials they've to undertake, the decisions they've to make, the changes to the course, the redeployment of volunteers and personnel, etc.. Once again, John Salt rocks as one of the best series organizer in the country.
Event warmup:

It's quite cold in the pouring rain, and with the Vancouver hypothermia experience, I decided to race with my Cannondale long sleeve jacket, which could be converted into a vest on the run.
As Jodie said on the PA, the priority should always be Safety first, then Fun, then Competition / Winning, good reminder, it's easy to forget sometimes when you're in the moment.
Run
  • 53m 17s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

Going into the race, I know I don't have the endurance for the international distance, so I had planned to run easy, esp given the weather conditions. Once the gun goes, people were passing me left and right, and I really don't want to be dead last, so I ended up running right up to Z4, much harder than I had planned.
Holy crap, running hard @ 8:35min/mi, Z4, in pouring rain, and I'm 3rd slowest overall?! Oh boy, this is a TOUGH field.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Was a little disoriented coming into T1 and couldn't find where I had racked my bike. Asked the volunteer where 500 is and she didn't have a clue. Wasted 30" trying to find my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 20s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.28 km/hr
Comments:

Given the weather conditions, I didn't want to take any chances, hitting the brakes before every turn. The ride was hard in pouring, pelting rain. The hills were steep. Many people were walking up. I barely made it up all of them. Top speed was 63kph, probably the highest I've recorded. This is not because I was riding fast, but because some hills are really steep. I was mostly coasting on the downhills.
2km from T2, I caught up to another woman in my AG, who was actually the lead women in my AG, although I didn't know at the time. Of course, she's a much faster runner, she zoomed past me in T2 and I never saw her again, until the awards ceremony.
HR was very low, not sure if that's accurate, or it's because of the wet conditions, or I should have ridden harder, or I just didn't have the endurance to ride harder.
2nd fastest bike split among women, 1st in my AG
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Uneventful getting into my wet running shoes.
Run
  • 28m 52s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 46s  min/km
Comments:

I really struggled on this run. See, that's what happens when you don't have the endurance for the distance. I was tired, barely able to lift my leg on each stride. I thought my HR would be high, since I was labouring and winded, but saw it's only at 129. Maybe I could push harder theoretically, but I felt contend to just run slowly and not walk. Not sure whether a gel on the bike would have helped. In any case, on the turnaround, I realize I must have had a good bike, as a lot of the people in front of me on the first run are now behind me.
Really happy to cross the finish line, the hardest race of the season without a doubt. And there he was, John Salt, standing at the finish line, shaking EVERY racer's hand and congratulating him/her as each crosses the finish line under trying conditions.
What a class act, you'll never see that in the "other" series.
Post race
Warm down:

Straight to the pavilion for some melons, grapes and bagel. Then went to pack my gear and put the bike in the car. Was debating whether to rush home to attend a wedding in the afternoon. Then the results were posted, 5th overall women, 2nd in AG. So I decided to stick around for the awards ceremony and skip the wedding, maybe my podium pic would appear in the post race newsletter again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of endurance

Event comments:

Another race under pouring rain, this one compounded by my lack of endurance and steep hills on the bike course. But I'm happy with my 5th overall, 2nd AG finish, as well as 2nd overall, 1st AG bike split. I finally met Robin R, my main rival for the Du series title. She's a really fast runner, can run stand alone 5k in 21', and has only been cycling for a yr. She's leading in the series standing, but I got some valuable points today and am a solid 2nd, with 2 more races to go.

When I was crossing the finish line, I was a little surprised to see Mike C, race photographer, had already put the camera down. When I checked on the race pics, I noticed he's decided to take pictures where people were negotiating the large puddles 40ft from the finish line, instead of the usual finish line pic. He's a GENIUS. Many people take pictures, a few are real photographers, and Mike is the best sports photographer out there, capturing moments worth many more than a thousand words.
PS - Overall rank includes 29 men, no women specific overall rankings.
PPS - Yay, my podium pic made it on the post race newsletter - http://www.multisportcanada.com/cobourg-post-race-newsletter.html

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:17 | 10 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 44/46
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops in pouring rain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:31:20 | 40 kms | 26.28 km/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 24/46
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Pre race email says "This bike course is one that you will want to brag to all of your friends about! It has you tackling the under-appreciated Northumberland Hills". Flat for the first/last 6km, it is after the 6km mark where all the fun begins! The course joins the historic Danforth Drive at Jarvis Rd with series of steeper-pitched rollers, on Danforth between 6km & 12km. The course then turns left onto Hoskin Rd and climbs for 5km up to the height of land on Great Pine Ridge. The course then flattens out with only some small rollers remaining until the turn-around at 20km.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:52 | 05 kms | 05m 46s  min/km
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 32/46
Performance: Below average
Course: 1 loop in pouring rain
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-30 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Cobourg International Distance Duathlon

2009-08-30 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2378877

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Subject: RE: Cobourg International Distance Duathlon
Great report!!  I'm from Cobourg but was away this weekend.  I was shocked to see that it had rained so much this morning.  Congrats on a good race and tackling our hills!
2009-08-30 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2378877

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Cobourg International Distance Duathlon
Wow!  Great race report!  I'd die if I was up for a tri and they turned it into a du at the last minute.  You guys are crazy fast.  Congrats on the finish and for persevering in the rain.  SUPERWOMAN!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg International Distance Duathlon Rss Feed