Hotter 'N Hell
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 57s
Overall Rank = /14205
Age Group = M235-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a hotel in Henrietta. Got up at 4:00, had breakfast and packed up the car. We left the hotel at 5:15 to head to the race site. In the parking lot we ran into the guy who started directly behind me at the Take on the Heat triathlon last week. Small world.
Event warmup:

Mostly stretching and making sure I had all the gear I would need on the bike.
Bike
  • 5h 55m 57s
  • 103 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Skipped the first rest stop but hit all the others from the 20 mile point on. The volunteers were awesome, can't say enough about the job they did. Drinks, cold towels and food were handed out at every stop and there was plenty of support people. The homemade cookies at mile 30 were awesome and the pizza at mile 90 was exactly what I needed. I did the ride with 2 of my friends and that made it much more enjoyable. We rode at a pretty solid 17.8 average to get to Hells Gate before they closed it down (made it at 11:38) and then took it easy from there on in.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I am going to try to start closer to the front of the pack. From the time the cannon went off signalling the start of the race until the time we actually began moving was almost 15 minutes. It was probably another 10 minutes from that point until we actually crossed the start line to begin our ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to friends and put the bikes up. Fortunately I had remembered to put baby wipes in the car so we cleaned up somewhat. Went back to the finish are and had a few beers then started back home.

Event comments:

I will definately be doing this one again.

Last updated: 2009-03-14 12:00 AM
Biking
05:55:57 | 103 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/14205
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course seemed to either be flat or a long, gradual incline. There was only one decent downhill that I remember. the last 25-30 miles seemed to be into a headwind which really sucked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right