General Discussion Race Reports! » F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dorney, Berkshire
United Kingdom
F3 Events
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got woken up by a pair of quarreling cats at 5:50 and they in turn woke Julie. Daddy! Daddyyyyyyy! Up I got and had breakfast with the two little ones while Sandra caught some more Zzzzzzzz! Eventually left for the race at 7:45 and got to the site at 8:15. Got registered and then setup my transition. Dithered a bit about gels etc, which eventually meant I ended up with no fuel on the bike except for water. DOH! I'm still learning in this game.
Event warmup:

A few stretches in transition and then swam to the start line which was about 100m out into the lake.
Swim
  • 29m 53s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I put myself on the front line for the start, as we had a very wide line and it worked out great. The hooter went and off went all 400 of us at the same time. Not too much washing machine stuff, as I went off pretty hard to avoid it. Sighted really well on the first lap off the course and kept it steady and actually enjoyed myself. I liked the busy turns around the buoys. Crash! Bang! Wallop! All good fun. The 2nd lap was not so good. I was tiring and my sighting wasn't as good. I was quite happy to be done.
What would you do differently?:

The swim course was definitely long. I've been swimming long enough to know that I wasn't doing that pace. I would have expected 1:45ish pace at the most. Other competitors also felt it was long. Not bothered though. A race is a race. Apart from that I was happy with this given the pathetic swim mileage I've had this year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting the wetsuit off. Just lack of experience really. Also had a little trouble with the bike shoes. Apart from that it was alright.

Oh wait I know. Practice transitions!
Bike
  • 1h 12m 13s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 21.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I REALLY enjoyed this. Maybe a bit too much? Got up to speed and was cruising at 21 MPH most of the time. Overtook a lot of people and only got passed by the really fast pro looking guys on P3s ;) I had one mishap where my number belt snapped and I decided to stop and go back for it. Probably lost a good 45 secs doing that. A muscle in my groin started acting up about 2/3rds in to this and nearly cramped, but I got out off the saddle on the little inclines over the bridges and managed to keep it at bay. Again this course was a bit long. My computer said 25.5

Train more. And stretch more. That groin issue could have been avoided if I wasn't such a creaky donkey.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Oh bother. I decided to take my feet out of the shoes on the bike before the race. I HAD practiced this, but in the race I started too late and ended up dismounting with the straps undone, but my feet still in the shoes. That meant I had to re-strap them and run to my transition spot. I then nearly cramped badly changing shoes. Oh well.

PRACTICE!!!
Run
  • 50m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh bother. I'm actually surprised about the time on this, as I felt even more crap. My lack of training really bit my donkey rear on this run. At some point i passed a 8-10 year old boy spectating with his mum. As he saw me approach he said the following to his mum: "Look mum, that looks painful." I just laughed. He definitely hit the nail on the head there. Still I ground it out and gave what little I had. I felt like half the field passed me and I passed only 3 people. I was VERY happy to cross the line.

Train and even more importantly STRETCH. I'm waaaaaaay too stiff when running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a little then pack up quickly and go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My pathetic training. I would love to a TRI one day that I actually feel prepared for. Still, the family has priority over any TRI stuff

Event comments:

I was a bit surprised they didn't have chip timing with a field that big. Having paid £55 I would expect that. It's a great venue though. A clean lake and smooth as you like traffic free paths for both biking and running.

Last updated: 2009-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:53 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: Rectangular loop done twice.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:13 | 25.5 miles | 21.19 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Loop around the lake done 8 times. Very flat but somewhat fierce cross wind,s which were more head on going one way. Great Tarmac. I wish public roads were this smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:50:31 | 06.21 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along the lake done twice. Kinda soul destroying as it's so obvious have far you've got to go.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-30 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
London, UK
Subject: F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon

2009-08-31 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2379026

User image

Master
ALSAGER, CHESHIRE. UK
Subject: RE: F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon

Well done mate! Impressed with the bike speed after a swim. Hmmm! Think I've got a way to go yet. Pity there weren't some of my hills en route

Wondering if the cats put you in an agressive frame of mind.

2009-09-02 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Dude - 8:08's on the run and you're complaining? Seriously? *sigh* You rocked this with next to no training. Just think what you could do with an actual training plan....
2009-09-02 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

bloody good show old chap!!!  well done matey!!!!  not to shabby for an old worn out eurodonk!!!

EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW jens, you rocked it!!!!

2009-09-08 4:13 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-08 6:58 AM

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
I think I will adopt the Jens training plan: no swimming, next to no running and bike to work everyday (since I work out of the house, this might not work so well) Excellent race, Sir Donkey!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » F3Events @ Dorney Lake Classic Triathlon Rss Feed