Sun Multisport Events
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 28m 38s
Overall Rank = 632/660
Age Group = Clysdale
Age Group Rank = 30/33
Pre-race routine:

got up at 4:45 to pull my gear together and meet DK in the lobby at 5:30. Had eggs and bacon with some oj and decaf coffie. Almost the same as my dunkies ritual, but about $6 cheeper

Side note, stayed up to my regular bed time and other than the room being too hot, I got a good nights sleep. At least 3 solid hours!! this is realy good for me on race eve
Event warmup:

What else, gasbag
Swim
  • 27m 58s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Boy, if I could only do the swim for a bigger chunk of my races :)Got what I thought would be a good spot up front to the right to start. That was until they told us to go to the left of the first bouy, and the right of the rest. Got pushed way outside of the pack and had to do some start stop stuff to move in.

Being in the last wave is a mixed blessing. The pond actualy starts a current, which you can see in the weeds on the bottom of the pond. This is way cool, especialy at the turns. The downside is sifting through the previous 3 waves of swimmers who are not quite as fast. Recent perspective allows me to give them huge cudos, and extra room. Problem was the last 200 had about 30 from the previous wave all packed up and I had to go way outside or sit back, so I went around. Oh well.

When in open water, I had great form and sighting. Will take that
What would you do differently?:

Get into the corral a little earlier and try to be more front and center for the washing machine. I might also work a little harder on the first 200 to break away from some of the thrashers so I do not fall to far back.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Always impress myself with how quick the real time from the water to out of T1 is at this race. If it were all about the transition, I would be prety well ranked ;)

Not much to do differently with such a "long" run up and out of the water
Bike
  • 1h 25m 40s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I am dumfounded how I rode so fast the year I PRed this course. I had a resonable amount of ridding time in this year and wanted to stay above 18 MPH average. The last 4 miles just kicked the crap out of my average after the 140 overpass.

Unrelated to much of the overall results was the people on the course with me. First, starting that far back, not many people end up passing me, because they all started in front of me. I spent large chuncks of time playig tag with the same group of about 15 women as we kept dropping each other. The only thing that torqued me off was the group of 5 women that seemed to have an actual pace line going! I have seen drafting, but they just continued to do about 30 second pulls and get passed by the train of other 4 as they went. After about 10 minutes of trying to let them "finish a pass" I gave up and got in line. Took about 2 minutes to filter up to the front, and I was quickly repassed by two of the women. End resutl, the pace line got F*cked up and never regained form. Either way, I could play tag off and on with individuals withoug having to draft to get by the group. I so do not like the idea of drafting, but crossing the yellow line is worse IMHO, so I will take the chance at the penalty instead.

Going to need to push a little harder, and more consistant with the bike training. The TdF challenge always sets me up well, but I need to do something a little different if I ever want to PR this course again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Other than heading for the wrong gate for the run, I can handle this, and I only got about 4 steps in the wrong direction before getting turned in the right one.

Nada
Run
  • 1h 29m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, this is where my day gets monumentaly interesting. I had game planned to run under 12 minute miles, and figured I could put something in at the end. This was based on some sub 10 minute mile runs out of the few I have done in the last month. Nothing over 4.7, but were much quicker than the 12 MM I was shooting for. Put a few songs into my head from my Ipod and got a steady rythem going. Knew I would be passed like there was no tomorrow, and I was good with that.

-Started with a very respctable 11:22 for mile one. Figured that was about the pace I could sustaine and be good with it. The goal here was not to walk....
-Mile 2 was 12:19, a little slower, but well within range of what I was looking for. About this point, my stomach started to get very gassy. I figured puke, or pass out, but not walk first. I had a hint at the stomach issues on the bike, but more on that latter.
-Mile 3 yeilded a 12:42, slowing, but nothing drastic, at least for the fitness I was in, and my overall running history.
-Mile 4, 13:09. Cool, running strong, within my abilities, I can get in without walking at this point....

Somewhere after the mile 4 waterstop, probably about mile 4.5, I hit a huge proverbial wall. The first sign was I was hanging my head low to avoid looking at any false flats going up. I then started to run about 6 strides at a time with my eyes closed, only sighting to make sure I was not too close to the sholder. As I closed in on mile 5, I knew something was wrong. I was already at 14 minutes, and could just see the mile 5 water station about 200 yards away. At this point, my shuffle just migrated into a walk, since it was slightly up hill and walking felt faster anyway. My final 2 miles combined into 44:08, this is a 22:04 average, but it dose not fully show what was happening. I figure I hit mile 5 at about 17 minutes. This means my last 1.2 miles was was at about a 27 minutes!! Holy crap.

Now for the fun part. This became a survival issue now. I could do what I probably should have, at least in the minds of "normal" people, and just sat down, DNF and figured out how to get back, or just take 10 minutes and try and recover....NOPE. With the sprint cancleled, I needed this race for my 3 to rank in the USAT, so a DNF was not realy an option to me. I staggered on literaly. At a couple of points, I almost fell, my head was thrashing about like a rag doll. I am not quite sure how I stayed on my feet.

As I came up on the finishing shoot, I could not even muster enough strength to turn my race number backwards so I could not be announce comming in. I just wanted to crawl into a hole and have everyone go away. I sat in a chair in after the line for about 10 minutes. My calves were twitching hard core. The only other time in my life I could equate with this was the last 3 miles of my only 26.2. When I ate 2 rolls after finishing 26.2, I felt great, so I figured I messed up on neutrition. Got up and staggered to the food line. Of course it was about 100 people deep, so I went to transtion to grab the bagle I had taken from breakfast and intended to eat before the swim. Tried to sit down to grap gear and food out of my stuff. Calf cramped huge, had to stand before both cramped and I could not get up. Spent probably close to 45 minute at my stuff getting the baggle, 32 oz of gatoraide, 2 Ibuprofing and 3 endorolight tabs into my system. At that point, I began to feel human again.

Ok, here is the scoop on what I think happend with the stomach today. When I packed the other night, I grabbed some gel from the bulk container and put it into my flask. It said, best used before 5/09. Those things are always too conservitive anyways, so I still packed the 2 gels worth to race with. Between the questionable gels, and not eating the bagle BEFORE the race, I am pretty sure I was way down on calories pre race. I need to respect that getting up at 4:45, and eating eggs and bacon with 2 gels over almost 8 hours is not going to cut it. In the past, particularly when I have started in the last swim wave, I have eaten a few granola bars for extra fuel, just cause. I will have to respect the calorie intake for races, even as short as the oly distance, because extra time needs to be factored into how I am eating. Go figure, you would figure with the spare tire I lug around my waist, I would not have such an issue ;)

In the end, I am just very glad I did not take a ride in an ambulance when I probably should have colapsed. The realy cool thing about this is it shows me how hard I can push through senseless acts of stupidity when merited.
Post race
Warm down:

I think it has been covered. By the time I got to the BBQ, I took as big a plate as I could carry and scarfed it all down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor tacktics in nutrition is what I am going with. I think I could have kept running the whole way if I had not run out of fuel. To think where my run time would have been, let alone my overall time, if I had not taken the better part of an hour to go 2.2 miles. Could have shaved about 16 minutes off which would have been quite respectable for an overall time for me as of late. Instead, this was the second worst oly and my worst cranberry time ever. Good thing I had fun :)

Event comments:

Still my favorite race. Not quite sure why nobody asked if I was ok when I am staggering around for the better part of 1.5 hours with my eyes almost shut from mile 4 to the point I dropped in transition. Must have looked better than I felt. By the time I got home, I had the energey to unpack the car, take care of the cats, run some laundry etc. I feel like I could go for a run in the AM, but a swim is more likely.

From my perspective, this is not a negative review, but a record to look back on.

Last updated: 2009-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:58 | 1408 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 314/660
Performance: Good
Suit: NeoSport full
Course: hour glass shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:40 | 24.9 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Overall: 566/660
Wind: Little
Course: Realatively flat with a good number of rollers. A couple of longer climbs that take the wind out of your sails, but nothing in the big picture of hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:29:58 | 06.2 miles | 14m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 654/660
Performance: Bad
Course: relatively flat with a mild climb at about mile 5. mostly in the shade
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-30 7:57 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2009-08-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2379388

Champion
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest

Hey Joe, a poor race is one where you don't learn something, so count this one as a good race!  I hear you on the run misery stuff, happens to me all the time!  At least you didn't give up, that's 90% of the battle!

2009-08-30 8:56 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Way to suck it up Joe!! Awesome!
2009-08-30 10:11 PM

User image

Pro
MA
I was wondering where you went after the race.  Hope you recover well. 
2009-08-31 4:10 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

For what it is worth, I had a great time. It is Monday AM and I am thinking about going out for a swim. Only thing holding me back is the very very large amount of crappy food  I ate when I got home. That lg Hawaiian pizza was pretty good. Not to much for left overs thouhg Since I am not working today, and family is still on there vacation, I just might add a run in after the swim, but just hanging the beach would be good too.

2009-08-31 6:05 AM

Online or Offline

HAHAHAHA "senseless acts of stupidity"

Hope you recover well, sounded like a hellish day out there for you.

2009-08-31 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
great job Joe, it was nice hanging with you again!!!

2009-08-31 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA

Congrats on finishing, I think sometimes that can be as satisfying as setting a PR.  You didn't give up, that's very commendable...great work! 

2009-08-31 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

Hmmm..you do hide your misery well..you are pretty tough.

I am thinkng it is probably a good thing you didn't get to do both the sprint & the oly !!!

Sincere congrats on your finish-

So glad to see you again I must say- Cranberry is my most fave race..you set the tone for that back in 2005 -thank you for that.

Glad you feel better today- noe get out & enjoy your bachelor day!

2009-08-31 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Way to HTFU!
2009-09-01 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Hey, we made it... despite all, a finish is a finish! Congrats!

It was good to meet you too.

Next year I am going to take 45 minutes off my time at Cranberry - coming in late and having to wait in line for the BBQ is not cool. I'm going from 3:30 down to 2:45... I can do it. And so can you! We just need to keep at it, stay focused.

:-)

2009-09-01 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

great job Joe...actually in the BT tent everyone was going "where's Joe?"  but we kind of thought you might be with the tri-fury people.  Hope you are feeling better......food and fluids...you and Jeff......geez o pete

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed