Activ
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 10m
Overall Rank = 8760/12374
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 444/810
Pre-race routine:

Up early and a quick shower to wake me up and enjoyed a quite sit and drink of orange juice (anything more would make me vomit) before waking the boys up to get me to the station. Public transport was free for all participants and there was a great atmosphere on the packed train. Then a short walk down to the Esplanade, stood in the queue for a pee and dropped off my clothes, phone etc at the bag drop and found my assembly area. Watched the planes doing their aerobatics and chatted to people in the crowd.
Event warmup:

Just some trotting on the spot and some stretches - I was going to jog this, eh, because that's about as fast as I can run :-)
Run
  • 1h 17m 42s
  • 12 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

This was my first City2Surf but I've wanted to do it every year since I moved to Perth 7 years ago. Pregnancy, PND, illness and my lovely Dad dying stymied me and for the last 18 months, I've been rehabilitating a trochonteric bursitis and haven't been able to run more than a few km. With that now sorted (touches wood), I've been building up my base over the last couple of months towards this race, so it was a big deal for me.

40000 people took part in this event (there's a marathon, half-marathon, 4km run/walk as well) and it's the biggest race, per head of population, in the world. It didn't dissappoint - the atmosphere was brilliant. Lots of people were watching and cheering us on, kids were lining up to high five runners and some were handing out chocolate frogs. As we turned into Hay St, all I could see, right up to the horizon, were thousands of people running and I had a big lump in my throat.

Favourite things of the day include the father and daughter dressed up as identical fairies, the hairdressers with beautiful coifs and t-shirts saying "don't run with scissors" and the three lads taking it in turn to push their mate in a wheelchair. That and running past blokes half my age who were walking up the hills :-)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I prepared as much as I could since my hip has healed. Have money on me so that I could have something to eat - it took over an hour to get my bag back and all I had was my free apple and Powerade.
Post race
Warm down:

A few stretches and wandering around the tents at the end, then sitting reading my free Sunday Times while waiting for the bags to arrive and be sorted out. Then back on the train and the boys picked me up for a big lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of natural talent mostly and having very short legs.

Event comments:

The organisation of the race was fantastic, getting 40000 people into the CBD and back home again is no mean feat. All public transport to and from the race was free, with lots of extra trains and there were free shuttle buses from the finish off the race back to the start. A huge number of buses had been laid on so didn't have to wait long even though the queue was enormous. Getting my bag back took ages but I was prepared for that and I don't really see how this can be done quicker, although there was a lot of unnecessary complaining about it. Most runners just mucked in and helped sort the bags while I saw others going around picking up litter while they were waiting or lending their mobile phones. Great event. Next year the half-marathon I hope.

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:42 | 12 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 444/810
Overall: 8760/12374
Performance: Good
Course: Out of the assembly park and into the CBD, short flat then big hill which quickly sorted out the people who'd gone off too fast. Through Subiaco and Perry Lakes, along Oceanic Drive to finish near the ocean. Very hilly course, sneakily, the worst are in the last third, including one they call "Heartbreak Hill".
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 1:30 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: City to Surf

2009-08-31 1:32 AM
in reply to: #2379706

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: City to Surf
the total time for my race was not 9hr10mins, it started at 9;10am, this was my first report, will get it right next time
2009-08-31 2:39 AM
in reply to: #2379707

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Awesome effort Daisy !!!   Was a great day and lots of fun. 

Good luck training for the half - Kings Park is a toughie though.....

Good reminder to do my own write up but I need to add my training logs as I've been a bit (read very!) slack recently in that.
2009-09-16 1:59 AM
in reply to: #2379706

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Congratulations on completeing your first C2S! Yes the atmosphere is amazing isn't it? I am glad you had a good time. I heard it was a lot better organised this year. I am hoping to be there next year, it will be my "get back my pre-baby body" goal LOL!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City to Surf Rss Feed