General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sinus infection from swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 8:30 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: Sinus infection from swimming?
I'm not sure if there's a direct link or anything but was wondering if anyone knows if pool swimming can cause sinus infections?  I've always been prone to get them, primarily during high pollen months...even had sinus surgery twice.  After the second surgery, about 5 years ago they became much less frequent...maybe a few times a year.  Lately I've been getting them again.  2 months ago I was on antibiotics for 4 weeks to clear one and for the past couple of weeks I've been feeling all stuffed up again.  There's no pollen this time of year (I checked) so it's not allergies.  Because of the extreme heat conditions and my own fear of OW swimming without a buddy I've been mostly using the pool at the Y and I'm wondering if that might be causing this.  If so, should I try a nose clip or just try to ow swim instead of pool swim?

2009-08-31 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2379947

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Sinus infection from swimming?
Have you ever tried a saline rinse after you swim? Super cheap OTC at your drug store.  I use it everytime I OWS and have yet to get an infenction despite swimming is some pretty nasty water.  I wear earplugs to avoid an ear infenction too.
2009-08-31 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
I haven't.  That's a good idea.  I do the rinses a lot during allergy season but never really thought about just doing it after swimming.  Thanks
2009-09-07 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
I had exactly the same issue. My doctor said that my allergies were clogging the tube (scientific, huh?) that connects the ear to the throat. The result is that water doesn't drain as well and basically causes everything to back up. He recommended saline spray and earplugs. He also mentioned that some people have sensitivities to pool chemicals which may make things worse. Good luck.
2009-09-14 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
The other day I swam 1000m-1400m can't remember but anyway the next day head was dead. My sinus' were a mess and are slowly getting better. This was in my pool at the gym. I asked my fiancee, who used to swim competitively about the ear plugs and she said no you don't need them. I see here though that those could help me! Going to get me some ear plugs and a saline rinse today.
2009-09-18 5:09 PM

New user

pool chlorine steam is a notorious irritant that could lead to nose-sinus congestion and eventually sinusitis. I've been there trust me.. Plugging your ears is totally irrelevant and useless.
Cortisone-only nasal sprays like Nasonex or Pulmicort in long term administration are a great help if you insist on pool swimming.
You can always take sea/lake swim near the shoreline so as to feel more secure. Nobody incl myself would feel comfortable swimming miles off shore.. This could be your first step to overcome this fear! Chances are that the distance between your swim trace and the shore will keep increasing with every training..

2009-09-18 5:14 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Thanks...been using a cortisone spray for about a month now and it's helping.
OW swimming isn't so much an issue for me...it's more about doing it with nobody around.
There are multiple concerns there, primarliy if something bad happens and nobody is around to help.
Usually there's caonoes and runners and sometimes other swimmers.
Also recently got the swim safe belt from tri-aids which has helped.
Now I just need to avoid snakes in the water and we're all good :-)
2009-09-19 1:06 PM

User image

VA
I have had sinus infections from swimming. I use the flonase every day and a nasal irrigator called grossnan. It's electric. The saline spray just wasn't enough for me but it might be enough for others. It would always be worse in the fall when allergies were bad. I'm in virginia where allergens are really prevalent.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sinus infection from swimming? Rss Feed