Bluegrass Cellular
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m
Overall Rank = 158/458
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/21
Pre-race routine:

Really, just woke up, got dressed and sipped on a bottle of water on the way to the start. Did not want to eat anything prior to the race.
Event warmup:

Well, for the first time ever (at least on purpose) I actually DID warm up. Took a GU about 20 minutes prior to start, and then ran for about 10 minutes until just a few minutes before the start. I definitely think that helped.

Made my way to within 30 feet of the start, since they were only chip-timing the finish.
Run
  • 26m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Having run the course on Wed., I knew the first .5 miles were downhill, and tried to balance the free speed with the potential of over-pacing. When we got to mile 1, a volunteer was shouting out times. I went past right at 8:30.

"Not bad", I thought. "Now I just have to maintain that pace up the steepest part of the course. We were running through subdivisions at this point, with a couple rather steep hills thrown in that forced some of the folks to break down and walk. I did my best to just keep chugging ahead.

As we turned off of Miles St. and into another neighborhood, a volunteer was shouting out 2 mile times. I heard "16:59, 17:00" as I went past.

"Not bad," I thought. "Keep up this pace and you'll meet your 27 minute goal."

At this point in the race, I was inspired by three things:

1. A quarter mile spent talking with a guy next to me. That always seems to pick me up out of any running doldrums.
2. I was being paced by an 8 or 9 year old girl.
3. A few downhills were thrown in during the last mile.

I actually picked up my pace slightly, and as I turned out onto Ring Rd, I looked at my watch and knew I would beat my goal. Now the question was by how much.

As I turned the corner for the final stretch, I saw 25:45 on the digital clock at the finish. I picked it up even further, and was able to cross the mats right at 26:00.

Still not a speed demon, by any means, but nearly a minute off my previous 5k best!!

Oh, and I beat the 8 year old!!
What would you do differently?:

Well, I had the post-race pace regret. I think I could have done even better?!?!
Post race
Event comments:

I left the race shortly after finishing. Got a call 30 minutes later saying my name had been called for a door prize.

I think I missed out on a Wii!!!

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 158/458
Performance: Good
Course: Not the easiest 5k course. First half mile was downhill, but then 100 ft of climbing to just past mile 2. Then rolling hills to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: Heartland Festival 5K Run

2009-08-31 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2380044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Subject: RE: Heartland Festival 5K Run
My wife came in right behind you at 26:04. She didn't know they didn't chip the start, so she was upset b/c she thought she should have been sub 26. Good race man. Calf holding up ok?
2009-08-31 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2380520

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

TriathletePT - 2009-08-31 12:59 PM My wife came in right behind you at 26:04. She didn't know they didn't chip the start, so she was upset b/c she thought she should have been sub 26. Good race man. Calf holding up ok?

Until the race I would have said yes - but I did feel it a bit about 2.5 miles in, but nothing today.  Oh well - just have to keep the training runs slow, eh?

And your wife is who I'm thinking of, we leap-frogged quite a bit that last mile.  I tended to catch her going uphill, and she would pass me after we crested.

2009-08-31 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2380609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Dark hair. She was running in pants I believe. Probably an I-Pod and hat too. She has yet to master the slow and steady mantra. She sprints for a distance, then walks a bit, then repeats. We are doing the Du for Sight in Lex together in two weeks. I wasn't at the race to cheer her on either unfortunately. I had the dog going for a run/walk at the lake.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heartland Festival 5K Run Rss Feed