80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 7s
Overall Rank = 243/1278
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 8/113
Pre-race routine:

Backtrack to Monday:
I was sick with a stomach bug. Not pretty. I ran lightly on Tuesday and Wednesday, but could still tell that I was feeling weak. Not bad, but weak. I have been just hurting all over. So Friday, I took a day off and rested. I slept most of the day but was still very tired when I went to bed at 2100.
Got up at 0500 and ate a PB&J. Drank coffee and spent some time with the Lord. I was feeling rather calm at this point. Bree got to the house a little after 0600 and we drove to the race. I really was feeling calm, but my stomach was upset.
Event warmup:

We parked at Latta Park and I was able to use the bathroom for the last time. My stomach was still not doing well, but I knew that this course was not as hilly as the others I have run. So I was calm. Everything was sureal. I felt like I was watching myself walk to the starting line. I felt like I was watching myself line up and wait. I hate the waiting. It only makes my stomach churn more as I look over the crowd and wonder who is in my AG that I needed to be able to outrun.
Run
  • 23m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

My splits are as follows:
Mile 1 - 6:59
Mile 2 - 7:36
Mile 3 - 7:50
  • 11 - 0:39
  • I Knew that I went out too fast when I hit mile 1. I thought that maybe this would not hurt me too bad because I was feeling OK. Hey, only 2 more miles. However, I started seeing people pass me, and I was not really passing anyone. ARRRHHH! I could tell that 1st mile effected my 2nd mile. But hey, 7:36 isn't too bad. Just keep the pace. I tried to dig down deep, but came up empty. Not good! I still have 1 more mile! I just tried to hang on the last mile. My stomach was cramping and I was pretty sure I was going to throw up! Turned on East and just ran as fast as I could (at that point) to the finish line.
    Overall Female: 36/589
    What would you do differently?:

Not get sick! I don't know though, I did PR. I do wish I could have gotten rid of about 10 seconds so I would have made it under 23 minutes. But, I have gotten faster. I am able to hit under 24 minutes in a 5k consistantly. This is faster than my 5k time from last year.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Hung out and watched Bree come across the line at 28 something and Matt come across at 29:05. Then we met up with Greg (Bree's husband) and went to IHOP to get our grub on!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just me...as usual. But hey, I did PR!

Event comments:

It was a fun race. I am ready for cooler weather and the long SLOW distance of the marathon...instead of this fast running. THis is the last 5k of the Grand Prix series. Next is a 10k!

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
    Running
    00:23:07 | 03.11 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
    Age Group: 8/113
    Overall: 243/1278
    Performance: Average
    Course: The course. No surprises here. I ran the course (at a slower pace) on Tuesday. I am glad I did. THis helped me to know where I was. I started running and my legs felt like they would give out from under me. I saw the normal people who aways pass me and who I always pass. I do remember that the right turn on Dilworth Rd W from East came quickly. In fact, everything came quick...except the finish line. In this race, you can see the finish line FOREVER! I saw the clock counting up...up...up. I tried to run faster, but my body refused. I started gagging, but I did not slow down. So I went through the finish line gagging like I was going to throw up...NICE!
    Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Below average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 2
    Physical exertion [1-5] 3
    Good race? Ok
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? No
    Lots of volunteers? Yes