General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 26s
Overall Rank = 1323/4243
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 207/488
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 am to get to transition by 4:15 am, when it opened. I was early, and I was still about a hundred people back in line. When I left after set-up (4:40 am), it was a madhouse!
This year my family and I stayed in a downtown hotel, just so I could go back, take a nap, and do my "pre-race routine" (bathroom) in comfort. Totally worth the modest expense! I was in wave 43, which started at 9:04 am!
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit, poured half a gallon in my suit to warm up the water, then jumped stood in line..
Swim
  • 34m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the biggest disappointment for me. I'm generally stronger than my time would suggest (4 minutes faster last year), but I actually had to hang on to a boat for a minute! I got a stomach full of air and couldn't breathe. HUGE belch helped a lot. Finished the swim pretty strong, but still lost 4 minutes or so.
What would you do differently?:

At least one open water swim session. Relax at the beginning.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

This was kind of a pain. At least 100 yard run to the bike, depending on where you're racked. I left some shoes at the swim exit, just so I wouldn't step on a rock barefoot. Bike shoes were already clipped in and rubber-banded in position, which I though was the way to go since I had at least 50 yds to run before I could mount.

Nothing. I felt pretty good about T1.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I was pretty happy about the bike. As mentioned by other BTers, there was a strong headwind heading north on Lakeshore drive; conversely, there was a sweet tailwind heading south. My time was only slightly better than last year, but I had a much better ride given course conditions. (The road conditions were pretty bad, again. I saw many flats and one ambulance picking up a triathlete on my ride.)

Not much. Didn't take a sip of water during the ride.. probably could have done without the extra weight of the water bottles.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Good T2. Out of shoes right before ramp heading to the dismount line. Again, kind of a long run to my rack.
Run
  • 55m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This has traditionally been my weakest segment, but I was more or less happy with the run. Steady (if somewhat slow) pace, with no walk breaks. Plenty of drink stations.

Picked up the pace a little, especially at the end!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Gatorade, food. I would have loved some beer, but I forgot by red wristband, and they were being pretty strict at the beer truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should have done at least one open water swim. Aargh.

Event comments:

This is a race for everybody: novices to pros. While this may have been frustrating to some (especially the pros who crashed on the bike course), it made for an interesting, fun, and well-spectated event.

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:46 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/488
Overall: 2087/4243
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR full suit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:06 | 24.85 miles | 19.85 mile/hr
Overall: 1006/4243
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 0/4243
Performance:
Course: Flat course on narrow Lakeshore Trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 2:24 PM

Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed