Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Fishy" Shark Attack Story? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: "Fishy" Shark Attack Story?
I've lived in coastal SoCal just about my entire life, and I never take sharks or sighting lightly, but this one has me thinking "tall tale" for some reason ...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/alert/shark-attack-terramar-beach-carlsbad_30126/
On August 25, 2009 Bethany Edmund was swimming 250 - 300 feet from shore at Terramar Beach, Carlsbad. It was 4:30 PM and she had been in the water about 10 minutes. The sky was clear with estimated air and water temperatures of 80 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The water was 8 - 10 feet deep with visibility of 5 - 10 feet and a rocky reef-like bottom. Edmund reported the following;

"I was swimming in the surf line-up trying to take pictures with a new INTOVA 6.0 mega pixel underwater camera I purchased earlier in the day. I noticed a large, approximately 14 inches in length, Sea Bass jump in front of me. I tried to snap a picture with my camera. Two other swimmers were next to me and saw the same fish jump. About a minute after the fish, I felt a sharp pain in my right foot. Thinking I might have kicked the reef, I shrugged it off and continued taking photographs. About 30 seconds later I felt the same sharp pain and, this time, I began to swim away from the area. I thought I was over a reef and was kicking a sharp portion of it.

"About a minute later while I was swimming from the area I was hit on the upper right thigh and propelled about 1 foot out of the water. This is when I realized what was happening and began to body surf toward shore. The first wave I caught I felt something in the area of my calf pulling me back and down under water. I thought it might be one of the two swimmers near me, however when I surfaced they were about 10 feet from my location. I ignored what had just occurred and caught another wave to the beach. This time I felt the same sharp pain in my left calf, but this time I was dragged under water and shaken for 4 - 5 seconds. During this struggle I accidently kicked the shark and it released me. The shark was about 6 feet in length with a dark blue/black top and a white belly. I then proceeded to stand up and run out of the water. When I exited the water there was no obvious blood, just swollen areas where I had been hit.

"The next day I notified James Bilz, Supervisor II Lifeguard, Carlsbad and Encinitas lifeguards Captain Larry Giles and Paul Chapman Lieutenant at Moonlight Headquarters ."

'Interspace Measurements' and the configuration of the individual tooth punctures to the foot and calf is representative of a juvenile White Shark 5 - 6 feet in length. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Is it just me, or would even a juvenile White shark at 5 to 6 feet be able to break the skin?  And do sharks typically chase prey through surf after they've either let go or the prey has gotten loose?  I just don't buy this one (you waited a day to inform anyone?), but I'll be open to insight and arguments here ...

2009-08-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2381396

User image

Subject: RE: "Fishy" Shark Attack Story?
No, those 5 footers have really soft teeth.  Like baby teeth.

sounds like BS to me

ETA - I take that back.  Go to the bottom link, they've got pics.  She was definitely bitten by something (and don't read the rest of the page if you don't want to get freaked out by local sightings )

Edited by ChrisM 2009-08-31 7:27 PM
2009-08-31 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Chris,

Just found the photos and I agree ... thanks for pointing it out.
2009-08-31 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Why does her story have the brand and model and type of her camera? If anyone else was telling the story, wouldn't they just say, "with the new camera I bought?"
2009-08-31 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2381460

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
ChrisM - 2009-08-31 7:23 PM No, those 5 footers have really soft teeth.  Like baby teeth.

sounds like BS to me

ETA - I take that back.  Go to the bottom link, they've got pics.  She was definitely bitten by something (and don't read the rest of the page if you don't want to get freaked out by local sightings )

Definitely should NOT have read that.
2009-08-31 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
actually I could believe a soft bit from a shark is possible. Most young sharks, from what I have read, are still a little curious and will test anything new in their surrounds before trying to eat it...however with no hands they tend to test with their mouths. If it does not "feel" like food/fish/seal to them they often just leave it alone. Granted this is information from a 6 year old college textbook, still it seems reputable to me. Glad I live in the Puget Sound.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Fishy" Shark Attack Story? Rss Feed