Ironman North America
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 03m 31s
Overall Rank = 1721/2602
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 215/314
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 had a bagel and a half with peanut butter and honey, had coffee and organized special needs bags
Event warmup:

Got to body marking at 5;20, went to far end where there was no line up, got marked and into transition. Changed into race gear and did a little warm up run and then went to my secret spot to stretch and think about the day ahead, I felt good and I was ready to go.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 9s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Waded in and had a good start, found myself catching people early on and swimming into open holes, kept about 20M off of the buoy line all the way around the course and felt good to the second houseboat when I started to have cramps in my calves when people would swim up my legs and push them down, has to slow to stretch them out and I found myself ingesting lots of water as I was coming in the last 500M. Kept to my plan and kept to the right to avoid the rocks and came out only 1 minute above my goal time
What would you do differently?:

Try to work on swimming and not cramping in the calves, it was not an issue when doing my long swims but when people where swimming over me it is an issue and I cramp up, also try not to ingest so much water as know I feel it really hampered my performance, several people I spoke to on Monday said they had stomach issues as well and they think it was caused by the boat gas in the water
Transition 1
  • 08m 38s
Comments:

Did a full change as I rode in my riding shorts rather than my tri shorts, as I left the water I started to feel an upset stomach coming on, I tried to go to the bathroom but could not pass anything so I just got on the bike and started

Try harder to go or maybe even throw up to clean out my system and start again
Bike
  • 7h 10m 20s
  • 180.25 kms
  • 25.13 km/hr
Comments:

WARNING, for those of you who do not like reading about body issues stop here!!!!

Felt not to good starting the bike, my stomach was really bothering me and it felt like I had to go number 2 right away, made it to Oliver and tried to go but could only pass gas, felt bloated and queasy, took it easy to Richter and spun up it taking my time, still felt like shit. As I did the rollers I realized it was not my day and just put it into survival mode, felt dehydrated and still with the stomach issues, as hard as I tried I could not shake the stomach or having to go feeling, every time I got areo it made me feel if I was going to crap my shorts. The only thing holding me in was knowing that I could finish and that there were people out there waiting for me

Maybe throw up right away, it would of been hard but it would of cleaned out my system and then I could start fresh
Transition 2
  • 12m 28s
Comments:

Changed into tri shorts and a singlet for running, went to the port a potti and spent like 6-8 minutes in there trying to get myself better, passed a little but still had the issues of the feeling

Bring something like Imodium or some other diarrhea medication to help me with the feeling
Run
  • 5h 15m 58s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 07m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Survival mode is the word, I knew it was doable and it was not going to be pretty, just put it on auto pilot and ran for about 400M and then walked for a 100M and kept this going the whole way, drank water at first as I felt like puking the whole time, by the time I got to about Mile 16 I started on Cola and then about Mile 20 went to soup. Tried to run with some people but had a hard time finding a suitable pacer so I just kept on my own, the best part of the run was passing people who where walking it, this kept me going as I knew that they were suffering as well.

Don't know, I has a plan at the onset of the day but as my issues developed it changed from an Ironman that I was pushing hard to get a PB to one that I was just going to complete.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to first aid to get weighed to see if I was dehydraded and they did not have a scale, I had a massage and some food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Issues with GI, felt bad right after the swim so I spent the major part of the day just wanting to toss my cookies or crap my pants, I know looking back that I was trained and ready for the race and I had my nutrition and game plan there so it is a disappointment to have a bad day.

Event comments:

My third Ironman Canada race and my most disappointing one, the only thing I can do is think about how my stomach issues dealt me an unfair deal, I had wanted to push to try to go low 12's but there was just to much going on down there to let it happen, I did however finish and that is something that I can be proud off, I had a rough day, the hardest one I have ever had racing in over 10 years, it is a learning experience and one I can put in the bank for next year as yes I have signed up for 2010.

Last updated: 2009-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:09 | 3862 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/314
Overall: 0/2602
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: Single loop
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:10:20 | 180.25 kms | 25.13 km/hr
Age Group: 258/314
Overall: 2061/2602
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: single loop
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 12:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:15:58 | 42.16 kms | 07m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 175/314
Overall: 1394/2602
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2009-09-01 12:28 PM

User image

Victoria
Subject: Ironman Canada

2009-09-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2382841

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada
Too bad for the stomach issues and I hope you do better in 2010 congrats on finishing with the bad stomach
2009-09-01 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Bill, sorry you had issues on race day...sounds similar to my day sadly.

Glad you were able to adapt and adjust so you could going and finish. You were mentally strong and execute with what you were given that day and that is impressive.

Did you sign up for next year?

Great to meet you and congrats on another IM finish!
2009-09-01 10:25 PM

User image

Congratulations on your finish.  I am signed up for next year and draw a lot of inspiration from reading race reports of Ironmen. 

Edited by bcmish 2009-09-01 10:25 PM
2009-09-02 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Tough race but good job on not pooping your pants! I guess we have to have a bad race or two to make the others rock...I guess. Way to go on signing up for 2010, I'll be up there volunteering making sure the port-a-poties are clean and working for ya!
2009-09-02 3:51 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Congrats on finishing. Tough to race in the heat.

Happy training for next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Canada Rss Feed