United States
Start2Finish
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 10/18
Pre-race routine:

Packed my stuff and put it in the truck the night before the race and went to bed around 10:30. Got up around 4:30 and ate breakfast: cereal, bananna and coffee. Left for the race.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition area after check-in and then walked around and visited with some people I know from other races and from BT (jford). Went down to the dock and looked at the set up for the dive in start. Practiced my dive off the dock and swam 100 yards or so to warm up and practiced getting up the ramp on the dock. Then a long wait for the Super Sprint to be finished before the Sprint race started.
Swim
  • 22m 49s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The dive off of the dock was fun, no cannon balls. I actually drafted someone for the first time for a minute or so. Since I haven't been in the pool enough lately I had to let them go. I would swim freestyle as long as I could and then do some breast stroke to catch my breath. The water was calm so the breathing and sighting was pretty good. The turns around the buoys were pretty good. The end of the swim had people helping you up the ramp on the dock from the lake. The long run (about 200 yards or maybe a little longer) from the dock back to the TA was part of the swim time based on where the timing mat was placed at the edge of the TA.
What would you do differently?:

I need to just swim more and then I will be able to do the freestyle the whole time without slowing down to breast stroke.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Felt pretty good about my T1. I was in and out of the area pretty quickly. I did fumble a little with my helmet and sunglasses.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 33s
  • 23 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills. I was not expecting there to be many hills around this course. Most of my rides in this area are mostly flat with some rollers. Now this wasn't anything like Natchez Trace, but I wasn't expecting it. So, I went out pretty hard and most of the hills were in the second half of the course. My pace was very good and in the first half I was averaging well over 19 MPH and spent a good part of my time in the 20+ range. I think (I know) I cooked myself by pushing too hard. This would affect my run by a lot.

If it is a local race (since this was) I should scout the course ahead of time by riding it. At the least I should have driven it beforehand. Then I could have paced myself better and not pushed quite so hard on the first half.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Very good overall. I was able to slip off bike shoes pretty quickly take off helmet, put on run shoes and grab my hat and race belt and put those on while running.

I need to work on taking my feet out of my shoes before I come to a stop so I can run through transition barefoot and rack my bike, put on shoes and go.
Run
  • 44m 31s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I blew up during the run. I started out okay and had a fairly decent pace, but it didn't last. Before the first mile marker I had to walk to catch my breath. I ended up doing this several times throughout the whole run. In the last half of the run I would try to only walk during the water stations (approximately at the mile markers), but that didn't work either, so I found someone who passed (running only, no walking) and I tried to keep him in my sights and even when I had to walk I didn't let him get out of my sight and when I started running again I would reel him back in. At the last mile since I had been pacing off of him I led the way for awhile to push myself a little and help him push his pace some as well. When we got back to the levy to come in for the finish line I let him go around me and finish ahead since he had pulled me through the last half of the run.

Pace better on the bike to leave more for the run. Also, my overall fitness in the last month or two was not where it needed to be to push as hard as I did back in May and June. I need to be more conistent with my training.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a gatorade at the finish. Walked around to catch my breath. Found some of the people I talked to before the race and talked to them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness level.

Last updated: 2009-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:49 | 875 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Avg. HR - 161
Suit: N/A
Course: Triangle course keeping the buoys on your right.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:33 | 23 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/18
Performance: Average
Avg. HR - 158
Wind: Some
Course: A single loop on country roads and highways. Right turns only. Most of the roads were in pretty good shape but the surfaces were a little rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:31 | 04 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/18
Performance: Bad
Avg. HR - 157
Course: Trail course - mostly single track. Lots of ups and downs and a couple of small bridges. There were a good deal of roots to contend with, but they were well marked. Almost entirely shaded inside the woods, except the run along the levy.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes