World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 20m 59s
Overall Rank = 1474/2435
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I slept very well which was weird. Got up 3:30 ate pb&j bagel packed fluids for bike and headed to transition. Unbelievable day, calm and cool, no excuses.
Event warmup:

Just the walk to swim start of .8 mile.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 13s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I liked the start off the docks because I had no issues with other swimmers. I stayed to the outside and went about my business. I was surprised with how long it took. It has never taken me over 1:08 in practice. My brother had a slow time too, no chop but no current either. Little disappointed but long day so didn't worry about it. I also had cramping issues in my left leg. As I type this on Tuesday afternoon I am still wearing a compression sock due to pain.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 05m 32s
Comments:

First full so took my time due to fear of forgetting something.

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 36m 7s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I really tried to conserve because I knew it was a long day but had to get out of the seat more than planned. My first full so just kept steady pace. Downhills at 42 mph were a blast but had to pay for it and saw lots of guys changing flats. I got to watch a lot of gals in fantastic shape pass me by on the second loop. At least the scenery was great.

Try to focus on hill training.
Transition 2
  • 07m 39s
Comments:

I got out of shoes and usually run off but saw guy just ahead of me dump doing the same so I came to a stop and got off. After 112 the old legs just don't want to do as they are told. Took my time again not knowing what the run had in store.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 14m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

I can't say enough good things about the support, they wery great! As is normal for me I started out feeling great until I hit 6-8 miles then trouble starts. I was walking way too much. I knew I needed fuel but nothing was doing the trick. Then just before the turn to start loop two I took a cookie. Could only eat half but sudenly I got my energy back. Every aid station after I took some Gatorade a cookie and water and felt better than expected. My second lap was much better and faster than my first. I like the out and back because I got to see and talk to my brother every time we passed. He is the one that got me started on this journy 3 years ago. By the way he rocked a 11:43, way to go big bro.

Now I have my silver bullet...Cookies!
Post race
Warm down:

I wish I could have stayed longer but after some food I needed to get showered and warmed up because the body temp was dropping. My wonderful family went down and got my gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For a first time I am OK with my time. I figured 13-14 hrs, but I admit that with the ideal conditions I had hoped to be under 13.

Event comments:

One thing I wanted to say is that the Ironman staff and volunteers were great. When my group went to get the gear my bike to run bag was gone. The number next to me took it by mistake. They took our phone number and assured us that they would get it to me. About 20 minutes later they called because the other guy realized his mistake and returned it. For my first I have nothing to compare it to but the Louisville Ironman was fantastic. Now I just need to get over the post race depression. I think I will by signing up for Wisconsin 2010!

Last updated: 2009-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:13 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2435
Performance: Below average
Suit: blue seventy speed suit
Course: Upstreem protected by island for .7 mile turn around and straight downstreem to exit.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:36:07 | 112 miles | 16.96 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: They can call it rolling hills if they want but it was never ending. Problem is in central Wisconsin there is nothing that compares. I know Ironman WI has a very tough bike but I am a few hours away with nothing in my back yard that comes close. I was wishing for a grandma gear by the second loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:14:27 | 26.2 miles | 12m  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Nice run. No chalenging hills, great support.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes