General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Savageman VS Full IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-02 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Savageman VS Full IM
So it sounds like savageman is the killer of HIMs.  So, if I am unable to get into IMWI 2010 should I sign up for IMKY 2010 or do savageman HIM?  My background is I will be doing my first HIM in May 2010 and hope to finish under 6 hours.....I will know better after I get a little B.I.S. time.

2009-09-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2385220

New user
Subject: RE: Savageman VS Full IM
dewcubs - 2009-09-02 1:31 PM So it sounds like savageman is the killer of HIMs.  So, if I am unable to get into IMWI 2010 should I sign up for IMKY 2010 or do savageman HIM?  My background is I will be doing my first HIM in May 2010 and hope to finish under 6 hours.....I will know better after I get a little B.I.S. time.

You would look strange with an Ironman tattoo with only 1/2 of a "M" ... I'd say given the choice, I'd vote for the full IM.  The journey to get there and the reward is a lot more rewarding.  IMO

A killer HIM is still a HIM and all IMs are killers period
2009-09-02 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I'd do savageman,, get a couple of HIM's under your belt next year then go on to the full IM in 2011
2009-09-02 4:10 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
When I did Savageman I talked to A LOT of people who had done 4+ IMs before Savageman !
2009-09-02 10:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-04 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2385283

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA

I know many IM finishers that would be completely destroyed by savageman, can't say the opposite is true.  Of course if the goal is a big orange M tattoo the choice is clear.

2009-09-04 2:28 PM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
tuan2u - 2009-09-02 1:48 PM

You would look strange with an Ironman tattoo with only 1/2 of a "M" ... I'd say given the choice, I'd vote for the full IM.  The journey to get there and the reward is a lot more rewarding.  IMO

This is a bizarre (and seriously skewed) view of the world in my opinion.  A HIM is a different race than an IM.  But it's not "less" of one.  Nor is the journey to it.
2009-09-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2390222

New user
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-04 3:28 PM

This is a bizarre (and seriously skewed) view of the world in my opinion.  A HIM is a different race than an IM.  But it's not "less" of one.  Nor is the journey to it.

Right or wrong, skewed or not, I don't think that I'm alone in this view. I think that my view may be in the majority ... right or wrong.   I've yet to see anyone with a HIM tattoo (I'm sure there are a few out there).  I think that the reason is the same as I expressed.  People *generally* put more efforts and more of their hearts and soul into doing an IM than a half IM.   It's just like a half marathon vs a full marathon.  Most people put more of their effort, heart, and soul into training for a full marathon so the event becomes more rewarding for them. 

Are the people who train harder for a HIM than I do for an IM ? Of course there are plenty ... but if you poll all of the people who have done an IM and a HIM and ask them which of the two journeys they would rank higher and more rewarding, their HIM or IM I would bet that they would side with the IM and my point of view ... skewed or not

I do agree that they are different races.   I wasn't trying to convey the message that you are less of a person if you do a HIM vs IM ... just trying to convey the message that since generally speaking, people put more efforts into doing an IM and thus the journey is more rewarding.  I do think that the IM journey is more rewarding and people hold that closer to their hearts than they do their HIM (once they've done both).  I don't that a skewed view either.

Edited by tuan2u 2009-09-04 2:59 PM
2009-09-04 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2390293

Champion
the colony texas
tuan2u - 2009-09-04 2:53 PM

Right or wrong, skewed or not, I don't think that I'm alone in this view. I think that my view may be in the majority ... right or wrong.   I've yet to see anyone with a HIM tattoo (I'm sure there are a few out there).  I think that the reason is the same as I expressed.  People *generally* put more efforts and more of their hearts and soul into doing an IM than a half IM.   It's just like a half marathon vs a full marathon.  Most people put more of their effort, heart, and soul into training for a full marathon so the event becomes more rewarding for them. 

Are the people who train harder for a HIM than I do for an IM ? Of course there are plenty ... but if you poll all of the people who have done an IM and a HIM and ask them which of the two journeys they would rank higher and more rewarding, their HIM or IM I would bet that they would side with the IM and my point of view ... skewed or not

I do agree that they are different races.   I wasn't trying to convey the message that you are less of a person if you do a HIM vs IM ... just trying to convey the message that since generally speaking, people put more efforts into doing an IM and thus the journey is more rewarding.  I do think that the IM journey is more rewarding and people hold that closer to their hearts than they do their HIM (once they've done both).  I don't that a skewed view either.

I do understand what you are saying,, and it's only my opinion..  I think that racing a 1/2IM is much harder than just finishing  a Full IM.   OF course everyone has different opinion of how they define racing and just finishing. 
2009-09-05 9:37 AM

Veteran
Reminds me of a conversation with my neighbor's college-age son.  I had just completed IM #3 and he had just landed a spot on his school's rowing team.  He was explaining that because of his superior endurance he was racing the long events.  It turns out "long events" in his universe lasted about 6 minutes. 

Would I want to go all-out like that?  Hell, no.  Do I respect that?  Oh, yeah.  Same for HIM vs. IM.
2009-09-05 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2390293

Not a Coach
Media, PA
tuan2u - 2009-09-04 3:53 PM

I don't think you are alone in this view.  I think many hold this view and place more "value" on IM. 

But, I've done both and find this view of the world quite bizarre.  The "journey" is all about what you put into it.  You define it.  Not "people generally".  At least that's my skewed view.

2009-09-05 11:52 AM

New user
tuan2u - 2009-09-02 10:48 AM

I suppose if your goal in life is to justify getting an m-dot tattoo, then sure, you are right.

On the other hand, if you don't care about an M-dot tattoo and have no need to get one to impress others, then I would do Savageman.

For the OP:  I'm west coast, so SM is too far to travel, but I have done the Auburn Half, aka 'World's Toughest Half'  Roughly comparable to SM in overall difficulty, and it was much hard to complete, and I felt much more beat up after doing Auburn then after doing my IM.

I'd recommend doing both, but either one will be good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Savageman VS Full IM Rss Feed