Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ben & Jerry's Celebrating Gay Marriage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2386698

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Ben & Jerry's Celebrating Gay Marriage

I boycott Ben and Jerry because of their outward support of cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal.

The VICTIM,  police officer Daniel Faulkner, had 4 children at the time of his murder.

2009-09-03 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2387148

User image

Champion
Chicago
runningwoof - 2009-09-03 10:39 AM

We don't actually take them...we just borrow them...we show them that there are men out there that can be sensative and kind while still being masculine.  There are men that care about personal hygiene, and yet can talk about sports and decorating/design in the same conversation.  We go to the opera and theatre and then out to the bar for a beer.  We are more understanding to their problems and can explain everything there is to know about sexual freedom and how to make sure you get what you need in bed.  We can do their hair and nails and still out lift most guys at the gym...And when we are done, we give them back and they realize that the man they have isn't everything they use to think he was.  

Basically, the gay agenda is really there to undermind the straight male and to weaken his relationships with women.   

And I am not being serious...just incase someone thought I was 

Ohhh you don't need to do anything to make dealing with women more difficult, it's hard enough already. But thanks for the effort.

One of my favorite quotes from a gay friend who came out of the closet in college after years of lying to himself and dating women: ``Tony, trust me when I tell you that the only thing worse than dating a woman is dating a gay man.''
2009-09-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2387245

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Brock Samson -

I boycott Ben and Jerry because of their outward support of cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal.

The VICTIM,  police officer Daniel Faulkner, had 4 children at the time of his murder.

But they wouldn't sell more ice cream if they gave 1 percent of each sale to Faulkner's widow and children.

2009-09-03 11:17 AM

Lafayette, LA.
Brock Samson - 2009-09-03 11:09 AM

It's been a while since I read about that.  It was my understanding they were supporting his right to a fair trial; not supporting him per se.
2009-09-03 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL

he Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal: An Innocent Man on Death Row

Who is Mumia Abu-Jamal? Mumia Abu-Jamal is a renowned journalist from Philadelphia who has been in prison since 1981 and on death row since 1983 for allegedly shooting Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. He is known as the “Voice of the Voiceless” for his award- winning reporting on police brutality and other social and racial epidemics that plague communities of color in Philadelphia and throughout the world. Mumia has received international support over the years in his efforts to overturn his unjust conviction.Mumia Abu-Jamal was serving as the President of the Association of Black Journalists at the time of his arrest. He was a founding member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Black Panther Party as a teenager. Years later he began reporting professionally on radio stations such as NPR, and was the news director of Philadelphia station WHAT. Much of his journalism called attention to the blatant injustice and brutality he watched happen on a daily basis to MOVE, a revolutionary organization that works to protect all forms of life--human, animal, plant--and the Earth as a whole.

The Scene

In 1981, Mumia worked as a cab driver at night to supplement his income. On December 9th he was driving his cab through the red light district of downtown Philadelphia at around 4 a.m. Mumia testifies that he let off a fare and parked near the corner of 13th and Locust Streets. Upon hearing gunshots, he turned and saw his brother, William Cook, staggering in the street. Mumia exited the cab and ran to the scene, where he was shot by a uniformed police officer and fell to the ground, fading in and out of consciousness. Within minutes, police arrived on the scene to find Officer Faulkner and Mumia shot; Faulkner died. Mumia was arrested, savagely beaten, thrown into a paddy wagon and driven to a hospital a few blocks away (suspiciously, it took over 30 minutes to arrive at the hospital). Mumia somehow survived.

The Trial

The trial began in 1982 with Judge Sabo (who sent more people to death row than any other judge) presiding. Mumia wished to represent himself and have John Africa as his legal advisor, but before jury selection had finished, this right was revoked and an attorney was forcibly appointed for him. Throughout the trial, Mumia was accused of disrupting court proceedings and was not allowed to attend most of his own trial. Sabo lived up to his nickname of “Prosecutor in Robes.”

The Evidence

The prosecution claimed that the shot which killed Faulkner came from Mumia Abu-Jamal’s legally registered .38-caliber weapon, contradicting the medical examiner’s report that the bullet removed from Faulkner’s brain was a .44-caliber. This fact was kept from the jury. Moreover, a ballistics expert found it incredible that police at the scene failed to test Mumia’s gun to see if has been recently fired, or to test his hands for powder residue. One of the most damning prosecution claims was that Mumia confessed at the hospital. However, this confession was not reported until nearly two months after December 9th, immediately after Mumia had filed a brutality suit against the police. One of the officers who claims to have heard the confession is Gary Wakshul. However, in his police report on that day he stated, “the Negro male made no comments.” Dr. Coletta, the attending physician who was with Mumia the entire time, says that he never heard Mumia speak.

The Witnesses

The star prosecution witness, a prostitute named Cynthia White, was someone no other witness reported seeing at the scene. During the trial of Billy Cook (Mumia’s brother) just weeks before Mumia’s trial, White gave testimony completely contradictory to what she stated at Mumia’s trial. Her testimony at Billy Cook’s trial placed someone at the scene who was not there when police arrived. This corroborates the other five witness accounts that someone fled the scene. In a 1997 hearing, another former prostitute, Pamela Jenkins, testified that White was acting as a police informant. Other sworn testimony revealed that witness coercion was routinely practiced by the police. In 1995, eyewitness William Singletary testified that police repeatedly tore up his initial statement--that the shooter fled the scene--until he finally signed something acceptable to them. The following year, witness Veronica Jones came forward to testify that she had been coerced into changing her initial statement that two men fled the scene. Witness Billy Cook, who was present the whole time, has stated very clearly that Mumia is absolutely innocent.

The Sentence

Due to police manipulation of witnesses, fabrication of evidence, and the rights of the defense severely denied, Mumia was found guilty. He was sentenced to death during the penalty phase based solely on his political beliefs. Mumia has been unjustly separated from his family for twenty-two years, with the threat of death looming over his head.

New Witnesses

In 2001, court stenographer Terri Maurer-Carter came forward and stated that in 1982, before Mumia’s trial began, she heard Judge Sabo say, “Yeah, and I’m going to help them fry the n****r.” He was referring to Mumia. This backs up evidence of judicial bias and racism in Mumia’s case. In the same year, esteemed Philadelphia journalist Linn Washington stated that on the morning of December 9th, 1981, he went to the scene to report on it--and no police were present. This backs up prior claims that police didn’t handle the crime scene properly.

The Confession

In 1999, Arnold Beverly confessed to killing Officer Faulkner. This confession is validated by a lie detector test administered by eminent polygraph expert Charles Honts. Despite concrete evidence supporting this confession, the Philadelphia District Attorney has refused to investigate, and the courts have not even allowed it to be heard. The injustice continues . . .

The Decisions

On December 18th, 2001, Judge Yohn issued a decision on the Habeas Corpus petition in Federal District Court. He upheld Mumia’s unjust conviction, but challenged the sentencing phase (the death sentence). This means there could be a new sentencing hearing after all appeals are resolved, but the only options are life in prison with no possibility of parole or another death sentence. This is not justice. There is massive evidence of Mumia’s innocence and he should be absolutely free. Mumia’s legal team filed an appeal of this decision in January of 2002. Mumia remains on death row until all appeals by both sides are heard.Judge Pamela Dembe’s November 21, 2001, rejection of Mumia’s request to reopen the PCRA hearings was appealed by Mumia’s legal team. Judge Dembe based her decision almost entirely on the Peterkin case, which has just been overturned! On October 8, 2003, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court rejected the appeal, stating that the Beverly confession cannot be heard due to time limitations. The court also stated that Terri Maurer-Carter’s testimony is irrelevant. The struggle continues.

The Movement

A broad international movement has formed in support of Mumia. Celebrities such as Danny Glover, Ossie Davis, and Susan Sarandon, world leaders like Nelson Mandela, Danielle Mitterand (former First Lady of France), and Fidel Castro, governing bodies such as the Japanese Diet, 22 members of the British Parliament, and the European Parliament have all recognized the blatant injustice in this case and have called for a new trial at the very least. Millions of people throughout the world have taken to the streets to protest his unjust imprisonment.Mumia’s case has been a unifying point for many social struggles because it concentrates issues vitally important to our future, such as the rise in prison populations, police brutality, the death penalty, persecution of political dissent, and the continuation of white supremacy and racism in the U.S. From death row, Mumia has continued to speak out for all who are oppressed through his journalism. He has published four books, and his weekly columns are published throughout the world. His case is one of the most important social justice fights of our time.

Edited by jeebus2 2009-09-03 11:27 AM

2009-09-03 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2387266

User image

kritra -

It's been a while since I read about that.  It was my understanding they were supporting his right to a fair trial; not supporting him per se.

He had a fair trail.

The man is guilty as charged.

I oppose the death penalty and don't want to see him executed, but otherwise he is where he deserves to be. Life behind bars.

(mumia.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mumia.jpg (16KB - 0 downloads)

2009-09-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2387279

Lafayette, LA.
dontracy - 2009-09-03 11:20 AM

kritra -

He had a fair trail.

The man is guilty as charged.

I oppose the death penalty and don't want to see him executed, but otherwise he is where he deserves to be. Life behind bars.

OK; as I said, it's been a while since I read about it.
2009-09-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2387265

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
dontracy - 2009-09-03 12:16 PM

Brock Samson -

But they wouldn't sell more ice cream if they gave 1 percent of each sale to Faulkner's widow and children.

Umm, guys this is one of those times where it's important to be clear: the company "Ben and Jerry's" does not support  Mumia Abu-Jamal.  Ben Cohen, one of the founders of the company has gotten himself involved with that, but he is not the company.  It's an important distinction. Baby vs. bathwater etc.
2009-09-03 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Haha it was just a matter of time. I'm surprised this didn't take a different turn south.
2009-09-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2387296

User image

mr2tony - 2009-09-03 9:24 AM Haha it was just a matter of time. I'm surprised this didn't take a different turn south.

south?  I think it's gone east and west as well.  Most confusing ice cream thread ever.

I love feigned indignation in the form of boycotts
2009-09-03 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2387291

User image

marmadaddy -
Umm, guys this is one of those times where it's important to be clear: the company "Ben and Jerry's" does not support  Mumia Abu-Jamal.  Ben Cohen, one of the founders of the company has gotten himself involved with that, but he is not the company.  It's an important distinction. Baby vs. bathwater etc.

Fair enough.

However note that Cohen and Greenfield built their company on the basis of social cause marketing.

Remember their first campaign "What is the Pillsbury Doughboy afraid of?"

They were brilliant at it; join the cause revolution by "buying" something.  You buy their ice cream and then you get to feel like you are "part of the solution".

They celebrated their 1percent for the cause model as well as their compensation model in which the owners did not make more than a certain percentage of the workers.

Then the right price came along and they sold the company!

They are both ripe for ridicule.

Edited by dontracy 2009-09-03 11:29 AM

2009-09-03 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2387291

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
marmadaddy - 2009-09-03 12:23 PM
dontracy - 2009-09-03 12:16 PM

Brock Samson -

As much as I would love to agree with you, there is something we learn early in the military.  Always be careful what you say to the media.  Many times your quote may be attributed to you but when others read it and even when quoted most take it as "The US Military (Navy/Army whatever) said", rather than the person.  Much the same as "The President rode without a helmet" instead of "Another dad makes a bad choice".
2009-09-03 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
So back to the OP ... what are some ingredients in that ice cream? Do they put those little chocolate stars in there?
2009-09-03 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2387107

User image

Pro
Tejas
gir1with1nose - 2009-09-03 10:25 AM
mr2tony - 2009-09-03 9:34 AM
shieldsp1 - 2009-09-03 8:13 AM Easy enough...looking for an excuse to stop eating ice cream.  I will never eat another bite of B&J.
But Tutti Frutti has been out forever and you didn't stop eating then. Dang Gays. Now they gots our ice cream too! What's next, our womenfolk!?

We've been taking your womenfolk for years 

Post of the day. 

Who cares about the political stand the company takes. I don't buy their products because they are really expensive.

Edited by mdg2003 2009-09-03 11:34 AM
2009-09-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2387328

User image

Pro
Tejas
mr2tony - 2009-09-03 11:33 AM So back to the OP ... what are some ingredients in that ice cream? Do they put those little chocolate stars in there?

Looks like mini corn dogs at first glance, maybe they're PB filled pretzels?
2009-09-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2387270

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

jeebus2 - 2009-09-03 12:17 PM

Mumia Abu Jamal is a political prisoner who has been held on death row since 1983. The Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal: An Innocent Man on Death RowWho is Mumia Abu-Jamal?Mumia Abu-Jamal is a renowned journalist from Philadelphia who has been in prison since 1981 and on death row since 1983 for allegedly shooting Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. He is known as the “Voice of the Voiceless” for his award- winning reporting on police brutality and other social and racial epidemics that plague communities of color in Philadelphia and throughout the world. Mumia has received international support over the years in his efforts to overturn his unjust conviction.Mumia Abu-Jamal was serving as the President of the Association of Black Journalists at the time of his arrest. He was a founding member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Black Panther Party as a teenager. Years later he began reporting professionally on radio stations such as NPR, and was the news director of Philadelphia station WHAT. Much of his journalism called attention to the blatant injustice and brutality he watched happen on a daily basis to MOVE, a revolutionary organization that works to protect all forms of life--human, animal, plant--and the Earth as a whole.The SceneIn 1981, Mumia worked as a cab driver at night to supplement his income. On December 9th he was driving his cab through the red light district of downtown Philadelphia at around 4 a.m. Mumia testifies that he let off a fare and parked near the corner of 13th and Locust Streets. Upon hearing gunshots, he turned and saw his brother, William Cook, staggering in the street. Mumia exited the cab and ran to the scene, where he was shot by a uniformed police officer and fell to the ground, fading in and out of consciousness. Within minutes, police arrived on the scene to find Officer Faulkner and Mumia shot; Faulkner died. Mumia was arrested, savagely beaten, thrown into a paddy wagon and driven to a hospital a few blocks away (suspiciously, it took over 30 minutes to arrive at the hospital). Mumia somehow survived.The TrialThe trial began in 1982 with Judge Sabo (who sent more people to death row than any other judge) presiding. Mumia wished to represent himself and have John Africa as his legal advisor, but before jury selection had finished, this right was revoked and an attorney was forcibly appointed for him. Throughout the trial, Mumia was accused of disrupting court proceedings and was not allowed to attend most of his own trial. Sabo lived up to his nickname of “Prosecutor in Robes.”The EvidenceThe prosecution claimed that the shot which killed Faulkner came from Mumia Abu-Jamal’s legally registered .38-caliber weapon, contradicting the medical examiner’s report that the bullet removed from Faulkner’s brain was a .44-caliber. This fact was kept from the jury. Moreover, a ballistics expert found it incredible that police at the scene failed to test Mumia’s gun to see if has been recently fired, or to test his hands for powder residue. One of the most damning prosecution claims was that Mumia confessed at the hospital. However, this confession was not reported until nearly two months after December 9th, immediately after Mumia had filed a brutality suit against the police. One of the officers who claims to have heard the confession is Gary Wakshul. However, in his police report on that day he stated, “the Negro male made no comments.” Dr. Coletta, the attending physician who was with Mumia the entire time, says that he never heard Mumia speak.The WitnessesThe star prosecution witness, a prostitute named Cynthia White, was someone no other witness reported seeing at the scene. During the trial of Billy Cook (Mumia’s brother) just weeks before Mumia’s trial, White gave testimony completely contradictory to what she stated at Mumia’s trial. Her testimony at Billy Cook’s trial placed someone at the scene who was not there when police arrived. This corroborates the other five witness accounts that someone fled the scene. In a 1997 hearing, another former prostitute, Pamela Jenkins, testified that White was acting as a police informant. Other sworn testimony revealed that witness coercion was routinely practiced by the police. In 1995, eyewitness William Singletary testified that police repeatedly tore up his initial statement--that the shooter fled the scene--until he finally signed something acceptable to them. The following year, witness Veronica Jones came forward to testify that she had been coerced into changing her initial statement that two men fled the scene. Witness Billy Cook, who was present the whole time, has stated very clearly that Mumia is absolutely innocent.The SentenceDue to police manipulation of witnesses, fabrication of evidence, and the rights of the defense severely denied, Mumia was found guilty. He was sentenced to death during the penalty phase based solely on his political beliefs. Mumia has been unjustly separated from his family for twenty-two years, with the threat of death looming over his head.New WitnessesIn 2001, court stenographer Terri Maurer-Carter came forward and stated that in 1982, before Mumia’s trial began, she heard Judge Sabo say, “Yeah, and I’m going to help them fry the n****r.” He was referring to Mumia. This backs up evidence of judicial bias and racism in Mumia’s case. In the same year, esteemed Philadelphia journalist Linn Washington stated that on the morning of December 9th, 1981, he went to the scene to report on it--and no police were present. This backs up prior claims that police didn’t handle the crime scene properly.The ConfessionIn 1999, Arnold Beverly confessed to killing Officer Faulkner. This confession is validated by a lie detector test administered by eminent polygraph expert Charles Honts. Despite concrete evidence supporting this confession, the Philadelphia District Attorney has refused to investigate, and the courts have not even allowed it to be heard. The injustice continues . . .The DecisionsOn December 18th, 2001, Judge Yohn issued a decision on the Habeas Corpus petition in Federal District Court. He upheld Mumia’s unjust conviction, but challenged the sentencing phase (the death sentence). This means there could be a new sentencing hearing after all appeals are resolved, but the only options are life in prison with no possibility of parole or another death sentence. This is not justice. There is massive evidence of Mumia’s innocence and he should be absolutely free. Mumia’s legal team filed an appeal of this decision in January of 2002. Mumia remains on death row until all appeals by both sides are heard.Judge Pamela Dembe’s November 21, 2001, rejection of Mumia’s request to reopen the PCRA hearings was appealed by Mumia’s legal team. Judge Dembe based her decision almost entirely on the Peterkin case, which has just been overturned! On October 8, 2003, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court rejected the appeal, stating that the Beverly confession cannot be heard due to time limitations. The court also stated that Terri Maurer-Carter’s testimony is irrelevant. The struggle continues.The MovementA broad international movement has formed in support of Mumia. Celebrities such as Danny Glover, Ossie Davis, and Susan Sarandon, world leaders like Nelson Mandela, Danielle Mitterand (former First Lady of France), and Fidel Castro, governing bodies such as the Japanese Diet, 22 members of the British Parliament, and the European Parliament have all recognized the blatant injustice in this case and have called for a new trial at the very least. Millions of people throughout the world have taken to the streets to protest his unjust imprisonment.Mumia’s case has been a unifying point for many social struggles because it concentrates issues vitally important to our future, such as the rise in prison populations, police brutality, the death penalty, persecution of political dissent, and the continuation of white supremacy and racism in the U.S. From death row, Mumia has continued to speak out for all who are oppressed through his journalism. He has published four books, and his weekly columns are published throughout the world. His case is one of the most important social justice fights of our time.

I've actually read the transcripts of the trial, have you?  Mumia has received no less than 6 appeals including the Penn Supreme Court, Federal Courts of Appeals and The United States Supreme Court, each time his conviction has been upheld.  Additionally, he has collaterally attacked his conviction on at least three seperate occassions alleging amoung other things ineffective assistance of council and these collateral attacks have been denied too.

Cut and post all you want.  For every article you cut and paste I can find one that demonstrates he is a cop killer. 

I am entitled to my opinion.  Based upon my reading of the transcripts and my knowledge of the victim I believe that Mumia is NOT a "Political prisoner" but rather a murderer of a police officer...

If you would like I could give you the e-mail address of my assistant who was a police officer in the same unit at the same time as Officer Faulkner at the time of the homicide.

2009-09-03 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ben & Jerrys Press release

BURLINGTON, Vt.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ben & Jerry’s, known for its euphoric ice cream flavors and dedication to social justice, celebrates the beginning of the freedom to marry for gay and lesbian couples in Vermont with the symbolic renaming of its well-known ice cream flavor “Chubby Hubby” to “Hubby Hubby.” In partnership with Freedom to Marry, Ben & Jerry’s aims to raise awareness of the importance of marriage equality and, to show its support, will serve “Hubby Hubby” sundaes in Vermont Scoop Shops throughout the month of September.

Not a new flavor just renaming Chubby Hubby
2009-09-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2387160

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
TriRSquared - 2009-09-03 8:41 AM I'm surprised the lesbian contingent has not made a fuss about not having a "wifey/wifey" flavor...

LOL.  That was my first thought too.
2009-09-03 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2387354

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Brock Samson - 2009-09-03 11:40 AM

jeebus2 - 2009-09-03 12:17 PM

Mumia Abu Jamal is a political prisoner who has been held on death row since 1983. The Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal: An Innocent Man on Death RowWho is Mumia Abu-Jamal?Mumia Abu-Jamal is a renowned journalist from Philadelphia who has been in prison since 1981 and on death row since 1983 for allegedly shooting Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. He is known as the “Voice of the Voiceless” for his award- winning reporting on police brutality and other social and racial epidemics that plague communities of color in Philadelphia and throughout the world. Mumia has received international support over the years in his efforts to overturn his unjust conviction.Mumia Abu-Jamal was serving as the President of the Association of Black Journalists at the time of his arrest. He was a founding member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Black Panther Party as a teenager. Years later he began reporting professionally on radio stations such as NPR, and was the news director of Philadelphia station WHAT. Much of his journalism called attention to the blatant injustice and brutality he watched happen on a daily basis to MOVE, a revolutionary organization that works to protect all forms of life--human, animal, plant--and the Earth as a whole.The SceneIn 1981, Mumia worked as a cab driver at night to supplement his income. On December 9th he was driving his cab through the red light district of downtown Philadelphia at around 4 a.m. Mumia testifies that he let off a fare and parked near the corner of 13th and Locust Streets. Upon hearing gunshots, he turned and saw his brother, William Cook, staggering in the street. Mumia exited the cab and ran to the scene, where he was shot by a uniformed police officer and fell to the ground, fading in and out of consciousness. Within minutes, police arrived on the scene to find Officer Faulkner and Mumia shot; Faulkner died. Mumia was arrested, savagely beaten, thrown into a paddy wagon and driven to a hospital a few blocks away (suspiciously, it took over 30 minutes to arrive at the hospital). Mumia somehow survived.The TrialThe trial began in 1982 with Judge Sabo (who sent more people to death row than any other judge) presiding. Mumia wished to represent himself and have John Africa as his legal advisor, but before jury selection had finished, this right was revoked and an attorney was forcibly appointed for him. Throughout the trial, Mumia was accused of disrupting court proceedings and was not allowed to attend most of his own trial. Sabo lived up to his nickname of “Prosecutor in Robes.”The EvidenceThe prosecution claimed that the shot which killed Faulkner came from Mumia Abu-Jamal’s legally registered .38-caliber weapon, contradicting the medical examiner’s report that the bullet removed from Faulkner’s brain was a .44-caliber. This fact was kept from the jury. Moreover, a ballistics expert found it incredible that police at the scene failed to test Mumia’s gun to see if has been recently fired, or to test his hands for powder residue. One of the most damning prosecution claims was that Mumia confessed at the hospital. However, this confession was not reported until nearly two months after December 9th, immediately after Mumia had filed a brutality suit against the police. One of the officers who claims to have heard the confession is Gary Wakshul. However, in his police report on that day he stated, “the Negro male made no comments.” Dr. Coletta, the attending physician who was with Mumia the entire time, says that he never heard Mumia speak.The WitnessesThe star prosecution witness, a prostitute named Cynthia White, was someone no other witness reported seeing at the scene. During the trial of Billy Cook (Mumia’s brother) just weeks before Mumia’s trial, White gave testimony completely contradictory to what she stated at Mumia’s trial. Her testimony at Billy Cook’s trial placed someone at the scene who was not there when police arrived. This corroborates the other five witness accounts that someone fled the scene. In a 1997 hearing, another former prostitute, Pamela Jenkins, testified that White was acting as a police informant. Other sworn testimony revealed that witness coercion was routinely practiced by the police. In 1995, eyewitness William Singletary testified that police repeatedly tore up his initial statement--that the shooter fled the scene--until he finally signed something acceptable to them. The following year, witness Veronica Jones came forward to testify that she had been coerced into changing her initial statement that two men fled the scene. Witness Billy Cook, who was present the whole time, has stated very clearly that Mumia is absolutely innocent.The SentenceDue to police manipulation of witnesses, fabrication of evidence, and the rights of the defense severely denied, Mumia was found guilty. He was sentenced to death during the penalty phase based solely on his political beliefs. Mumia has been unjustly separated from his family for twenty-two years, with the threat of death looming over his head.New WitnessesIn 2001, court stenographer Terri Maurer-Carter came forward and stated that in 1982, before Mumia’s trial began, she heard Judge Sabo say, “Yeah, and I’m going to help them fry the n****r.” He was referring to Mumia. This backs up evidence of judicial bias and racism in Mumia’s case. In the same year, esteemed Philadelphia journalist Linn Washington stated that on the morning of December 9th, 1981, he went to the scene to report on it--and no police were present. This backs up prior claims that police didn’t handle the crime scene properly.The ConfessionIn 1999, Arnold Beverly confessed to killing Officer Faulkner. This confession is validated by a lie detector test administered by eminent polygraph expert Charles Honts. Despite concrete evidence supporting this confession, the Philadelphia District Attorney has refused to investigate, and the courts have not even allowed it to be heard. The injustice continues . . .The DecisionsOn December 18th, 2001, Judge Yohn issued a decision on the Habeas Corpus petition in Federal District Court. He upheld Mumia’s unjust conviction, but challenged the sentencing phase (the death sentence). This means there could be a new sentencing hearing after all appeals are resolved, but the only options are life in prison with no possibility of parole or another death sentence. This is not justice. There is massive evidence of Mumia’s innocence and he should be absolutely free. Mumia’s legal team filed an appeal of this decision in January of 2002. Mumia remains on death row until all appeals by both sides are heard.Judge Pamela Dembe’s November 21, 2001, rejection of Mumia’s request to reopen the PCRA hearings was appealed by Mumia’s legal team. Judge Dembe based her decision almost entirely on the Peterkin case, which has just been overturned! On October 8, 2003, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court rejected the appeal, stating that the Beverly confession cannot be heard due to time limitations. The court also stated that Terri Maurer-Carter’s testimony is irrelevant. The struggle continues.The MovementA broad international movement has formed in support of Mumia. Celebrities such as Danny Glover, Ossie Davis, and Susan Sarandon, world leaders like Nelson Mandela, Danielle Mitterand (former First Lady of France), and Fidel Castro, governing bodies such as the Japanese Diet, 22 members of the British Parliament, and the European Parliament have all recognized the blatant injustice in this case and have called for a new trial at the very least. Millions of people throughout the world have taken to the streets to protest his unjust imprisonment.Mumia’s case has been a unifying point for many social struggles because it concentrates issues vitally important to our future, such as the rise in prison populations, police brutality, the death penalty, persecution of political dissent, and the continuation of white supremacy and racism in the U.S. From death row, Mumia has continued to speak out for all who are oppressed through his journalism. He has published four books, and his weekly columns are published throughout the world. His case is one of the most important social justice fights of our time.

I've actually read the transcripts of the trial, have you?  Mumia has received no less than 6 appeals including the Penn Supreme Court, Federal Courts of Appeals and The United States Supreme Court, each time his conviction has been upheld.  Additionally, he has collaterally attacked his conviction on at least three seperate occassions alleging amoung other things ineffective assistance of council and these collateral attacks have been denied too.

Cut and post all you want.  For every article you cut and paste I can find one that demonstrates he is a cop killer. 

I am entitled to my opinion.  Based upon my reading of the transcripts and my knowledge of the victim I believe that Mumia is NOT a "Political prisoner" but rather a murderer of a police officer...

If you would like I could give you the e-mail address of my assistant who was a police officer in the same unit at the same time as Officer Faulkner at the time of the homicide.

I read a lot about the case several years ago. I found it curious that he has been on death row for so long. Not to mention all of the contradicting facts in the case. The prosecution said it was Mumia's legally registered .38 caliber which killed the police officer, yet the autopsy revealed a .44 caliber bullet was what killed Daniel Faulkner. The time I originally got interested in this case was at a pretty rebellious time in my life so maybe my memories are skewed. But looking back on it things don't seem much different now.
2009-09-03 11:49 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Can you two stop quoting that ginormous cut-and-pasted post which is unlikely to be read by anyone.

mercy buckets.
2009-09-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2387380

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
newleaf - 2009-09-03 11:49 AM

Can you two stop quoting that ginormous cut-and-pasted post which is unlikely to be read by anyone.

mercy buckets.

yeah... my bad. I tried to fix the original post but it keeps coming up like that.

2009-09-03 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
and can we get back to the OP, which is all about ice cream and happiness!  LOL
2009-09-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2387388

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Some people appreciate good beer and will pay for it.

Some people appreciate fine wine and will pay for it.

Some people appreciate nice cars and will pay for it.

Some people appreciate real ice cream and will pay for it.

It boggles my mind that people pay the same price for Haagen Daas when it is air filled junk.  B&J is the only mass market ice cream out there that is not air-filtrated and full of extra crap.  You get B&J, you get REAL ice cream full of real yummy stuff.  That is what you are paying for.  I can't even eat any of that other junk anymore (Breyers, Haagen Daas, Turkey Hill, etc).  I've been spoiled .......

Luckily Maggie Moos and Coldstone also use real ice cream.  So I have some choices when I'm out on the road.
2009-09-03 12:08 PM

User image

Buttercup

Like I need another excuse to pick up a pint of Cherry Garcia ...

Kudos to B&J! 

2009-09-03 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2387356

User image

Buttercup

JustTriDave - 2009-09-03 12:41 PM Ben & Jerrys Press release

BURLINGTON, Vt.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ben & Jerry’s, known for its euphoric ice cream flavors and dedication to social justice, celebrates the beginning of the freedom to marry for gay and lesbian couples in Vermont with the symbolic renaming of its well-known ice cream flavor “Chubby Hubby” to “Hubby Hubby.” In partnership with Freedom to Marry, Ben & Jerry’s aims to raise awareness of the importance of marriage equality and, to show its support, will serve “Hubby Hubby” sundaes in Vermont Scoop Shops throughout the month of September.

Not a new flavor just renaming Chubby Hubby

Ummm this is inaccurate. I was a long-time Chubby Hubby consumer. Chubby Hubby had bananas, chunk chocolate and walnuts. Yuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This Hubby Hubby is peanut butter cookie dough (blech!) and other stuff.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ben & Jerry's Celebrating Gay Marriage Rss Feed  

of 3