General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Throat, Hurts to eat after Ironman KY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-04 1:31 PM

New user

Subject: Sore Throat, Hurts to eat after Ironman KY
So I woke up monday morning after IMKY and waddled down to breakfast at the hotel.  I was starving! I get a big heaping plate of food, and start to dig in.

After 2 or 3 bites my throat swelled up and became very irritated from the food.  It hurt so bad that I had to stop eating about halfway through.  This same problem occured for a couple more days, but has slowly gone away.

I talked to one other finisher who had the same problem.  I am no longer having this problem, but I wanted to find out if this is a common issue?  Is there a name for this? 

2009-09-04 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2390081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sore Throat, Hurts to eat after Ironman KY
I had this same reaction after IMFL this year. I think part of it was the stress that the body takes breathing open mouthed for so long and just being so tired. For me, it felt like the roof of my mouth and throat were on fire. Thankfully it went away fairly quickly, but made diving into my first big post race meal miserable. I think I had to stick to shakes and smoothies afterwards for a few days.
2009-09-06 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran

Yup... had that too.  Went out for dinner and could barely choke down half it was so painful.  Talk about disappointing!!  Talked to someone else who did the race and they had the same thing.  Odd thing is that I've done longer (time-wise) races and never had anything like this...

2009-09-14 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2392162

User image

New user

Northville, MI
I have had the same problem. I was also at IMKY, but I've had it after a couple half IM races too. Someone told me it was all the concetrated sugar but I don't know. I do know I ended up living on soups and smoothies, oatmeal, etc, for the next couple of days. For met it was the roof of my mouth and the back of my throat.
2011-12-16 7:19 AM

User image

New user

Wisconsin
I have completed 5 Ironman 2 Wisconsin 2 Louisville and 1 Arizona.  It happens to me everytime.  I have found one solution is a Halls cough drops on the bike seems to help but I still have issues for several days after.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Throat, Hurts to eat after Ironman KY Rss Feed