• 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

novel tells all.
What would you do differently?:

not a thing......
Post race
Event comments:

IRONMAN CANADA – Ann S.
(2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run)
August 31, 2009

Must have coffee or wine or something. It is my epic novel again. No short versions here!!
Yes, it almost took me as long to write as the race it's self. I hope you enjoy.

Thanks.....
Just like an awards ceremony...there are a few thanks before reading.....
Thanks to the most awesome supportive husband ever - Steve. I admit it, I am spoiled. He cooked, cleaned, grocery shopped and did laundry by himself for the last 8 months...and NEVER complained. He was with me every step of the way.

Thanks to coach Cheryl for a wonderful plan that got me to the start line and finish line. It was perfect. I believed in my training, trusted in Cheryl and did everything asked. I think I missed maybe one workout.....of course it was approved by Cheryl.

Thanks to Barbara Rose for being a great bike training buddy. It was wonderful having a buddy to ride with each weekend - rain, snow and sun, hills and more hills. Congrats on her FIRST Ironman Finish.

Michele for the many Sunday runs by 'my rules'. She kept me sane in several of my long runs. Many great memories of the wonderful stories.

Lisa for the most proud, supportive friend I could possibly have - one of my biggest and loudest cheerleaders. For the last month she has had MY name on her blog title instead of hers! While she couldn't be at the race in person she was in my thoughts all day!

Thanks to ME for having stuck with my training, not missing a workout, having a fantastic day. Not everyone is as lucky as I was on this day or in their training. I had no flat tires, no cramping, no FREAKOUTs (before, during or after the race), I had FUN and actually enjoyed the day. I did not cry, but did tear up a few times....the pre-race meeting where the bagpipes played and walked through the room, the start of the race again the bagpipes get me again, and then writing my race report reliving my day.......

Thanks to all that supported me, cheered me, believed in me.....I thank you ALL...and now to the report.

I finished. I am an IRONMAN.

Total Time….
So here were my race plans.....
Realistic / Stretch / Just finish
Swim - 1:45 / 1:35 / 1:52
Trans 1 10 / 10 / 15
Bike 7:22 / 7:00 / 8:00
Trans 2 10 / 10 / 15
Run 5:15 / 5:00 / 6:06
Overall 14:42 / 13:56 / 16:30

ACTUAL TIMES:
Swim: 1:38
T1: 6:55
Bike: 7:08
T2: 8:25
Run: 6:15

Total Time: 15 hours 17 minutes

PRE RACE:

Got up at 4AM on Sunday morning, also dubbed 'Christmas' morning. All my bags, including cooler bags were laid out on the fireplace hearth. Ate my 2 uncrustables, fortify drink and got my stuff ready in all the bags. I had put post it's on the outside of the bags to make sure I didn't forget to put anything in.....that worked mostly.

I had 2 special needs bags - these are the bags that 'get you through' it. They are there for you at mile 75 of the bike and mile 13 of the run. I had my dry clothes bag, which I put my wet suit, goggles, cap. I did the necessary bathroom break. Then it was time to go.

Debbie, Steve and I headed to the car for the drive into town. It was dark, but the bright lights of the start line guided us. Debbie parked and Steve helped me carry my bags as far as he could then I was on my own. I walked down the street and was greeted by the volunteers telling us the yellow bags (bike needs) went on one side and the red bag (run needs) went on the other. There were boxes with numbers on the front....I promptly found the box with 2501 and dropped my bags into the box........

Then headed to body marking....at 5:10 AM it's busy but no line for marking. They marked my arms and front of my legs withh 2501. Then the back of my calf was my age.....

Headed into transtion where I went to my bike. I pumped up the tires, I had let most of the air out the prior day due to the heat. Tires like to blow up on race day! Luckily mine were fine and pumped up no problem. I loaded up my 'bento' box with my food - Simbree (cashew / coconut), Payday bar (cut up) and fig newtons. I also loaded up my Aero Bottle with Gatorade laced with Carbo Pro and salt. I put my NUUN (electrolyes) in my water. Then I realized I left my Gu Flash in the fridge....whoops, guess forgot to actually read the post it on the bag! Oh well, I hadn't trained with it, so wasn't overly concerned. After all there are aid stations every 10 miles. Calm....that was my mantra, I wasn't going to stress.

Kathleen found me.....told me she had tire issues....then Barbara Rose found me, she too had tire issue. Both were fixed ..and fine. The thought did cross my mind, that they had their issue pre-race, hopefully I wouldn't have one during the race!

The 3 of us hung out sitting on the ground waiting to be told to go to the beach. It was a quiet time. I drank a 'baby' bottle of Gatorade and had a GU. I was ready!

It was time......we went out to the beach. BR and Kathleen found Steve and Debbie before I did, we ran over got some pictures. Then Alecia from work found me. We hugged and went for more pictures. then it was good bye for the time being.

THE SWIM:
oh my gosh....what a beautiful morning. Imagine standing on the beach, after 8 months of training and the day is here! Blue sky, hundreds of people cheering, last minute hugs from family. Wishing your fellow racers luck for the day. The PROS are off and then it's 15 minutes until you are off.

It was weird. Again for another race I was so eerily calm. I wasn't nervous at all, which was kind of scary. I was READY. Thanks to the morning WAVY Friday Madison park swims, Wednesday morning swim practice, the TWO 2.4 mile swim's with Raise the Bar Tri team, my weekly swims with Kainoa Pauole-Roth - I KNEW I could do this - proper training makes all the difference in the world. The bagpipes started, oh that sound. Then it was the Canadian national anthem, which due to all the hockey I watch, I know almost better than the US anthem. Then it was the anthem of the race start - U2's BEAUTIFUL DAY. Arms in the air and signing, I was wading into the start.

I was off and swimming. The first buoy came into sight. Seemed to take a bit of time, but finally passed it. I thought of Lisa's comment on Saturday about her 9 minute swim for the LK Sammamish Triathlon....ha...I think mine is going to be a bit longer....

Kept on moving. My feet got touched a few times and that always surprises me as that usually means someone is drafting off of ME! Slow and steady I continued. Was really lucky, no one kicked me, punched me or anything. It was busy out there, but I just motored along. Thinking about the song - It's a Great Day to be alive....the sun still shining when I close my eyes.....wow, so lucky to be out here crusing along.

At the turn, there was supposed to be a LINE of house boats, but alas I think due to the SHALLOW water there were only two sail boats marking the turn. It was kind of scary as I was afraid that wasn't the turn, which is pretty dumb as that was the way all the swimmers were going. As i turned, below me on the lake floor was a DIVER. Yep, a diver was just hanging out down there making sure we were ok. I waved....

It was surreal.....there were kayaks, folks hanging on to both kayaks and the sail boat. I just kept moving and made the next turn to head back into shore. No angst or stress, it was just getting it done - focus on floating on air / water who knows. It was a 'different' kind of swim, can't really put words to it. Just went buoy to buoy knowing I was headed in and knowing I could do it well within the 2 hour 20 minute deadline. Since both my practice swims had been 1 hour 33 minutes! On the way back in my head I am thinking about transition - no dawdling. No talking to fellow racers....see my transitions tend to be long as I am known to be a little too social in my transitions. :)

As I come into the shore, about 500 yards out I hear it....the crowds cheering and Steve King the awesome announcer calling out racer names!

I am home...swim as far in as you can...and then stand up and walk up to the shore....and then wait for it....and here's Ann Sloan from North Bend! Whoo hoo....one down - feeling GREAT! Nailed it. It's ok to be at the back of the pack....nicer water and no fighting in the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-5lDh4iTTw&NR=1- swim start.

TIME: ROCKING 1 hour 38 minutes!

Transition 1:
As I leave the beach I head up to the grass, pulling of my swim cap and goggles. Pull of the top of my wetsuit and head to the wet suit strippers - yes, there are tons of volunteers at the ready to pull your wetsuit off of you! I wander around and hear - "Ann! Ann - over here!!" It's Patti K...from Raise the Bar! I was so excited to see someone I knew I gave her a big WET hug and you all thought I wasn't a hugger!!! Then I dropped down and off came the wet suit! Then I went to grab my Transition Bag.
I had the BEST number - right at the start or a row! SWEET.

Grabbed my bag and went into the Women's tent, where I was greeted by the MOST wonderful VOLUNTEER - JEANNE! She was AWESOME.

So get this...usually you have to do everything by yourself in a triathlon. No chair, no help, nothing...well, folks this is an IRONMAN. Jeanne grabbed my bag, let me pick a chair and I sat down. Then SHE preceded to pull all my 'junk' out of my Transition bag. I grabbed my jersey since I figured that would be the hardest to get on my wet body. As I worked on putting the jersey on over my wet body making sure all my food stuff didn't fly out of the pockets...she got to work. She took my hand towel and wiped the grass off of my feet, put a sock on one foot, then put on my shoe....then went to work on the other foot. Oh my gosh! Then she gave me my gloves to put on, then helmet and glasses. Then she said..go, go...I'll get all this stuff cleaned up! Holy cow....I just patted her on the shoulder and said thank you so much....yep! That would be why my transition was less than 7 minutes...all because of Jeanne and she was all business - there to get me in and out! Wonder if she and Cheryl had a chat before the race....

THE BIKE:
Yep, the usual...it's much easier to find your bike on the bike racks when you are in 2085 out of 2500 out of the water.....that means there are only 500 bikes left so you can find your bike so much easier. Granted I had a general idea of the location since the racks are marked, but it was dark and two hours ago since I last thought of where that bike was!!

There my 'black betty' was.....ready to go for the ride of her life! Quickly turned on my garmin computer which talked to me every 20 minutes to remind me to eat / drink so that we could make the long, hilly 112 mile ride. Unracked her and then walked out of transition....again, you are greeted by the many crowds on the street out of town. Since you have your number/name bib on - you hear lots of GO ANN's! SWEET. Head up on main street, lined with crowds...it really does feel like your own little tour de france!

The next turn would bring me to the Ann cheer squad - Steve, Debbie, Cheryl, Ruth and Ann J. The house we rented was right on the course...I crested the little hill and started waving so they knew I was coming! YAHOO!!! Steve squeaked the little Dino bike horn and Debbie took pictures......and the screams sent me on my way. Down the street I saw a BRIGHT NEON PINK sign...that said....Go 2501....I saw it then thought...hey that's my number! Yeah, processing a bit slow...it was JULIE, she'd made a sign. I yelled to her and she waved it at me then I saw Go Ann Go - #2501! How cool.......then I was headed out of town.
My timer goes off and I grab my water with NUUN....this is like Alka Seltzer - you know plop plop fizz fizz. Well, usually you want to leave your water bottle open so the fizz fizz can escape out of the bottle - NOT in your mouth. I forgot to open the bottle, so it exploded into my mouth and I had a nice little choking fit.....and it was just as we were heading up a little hill. I was passing someone so said coughing on your left ....that got a laugh out of a fellow racer. After 2 miles later I recovered from my coughing...needless to say the bottle top was now open!

We headed up the first major hill about 10 miles out of town. It didn't feel nearly as bad as July thankfully! Again, I have ridden this one twice and definitely ridden hard ones in training, before I knew it I was up and over it. Then it was into the valley, paranoid about getting a drafting penalty I ended up passing folks and going a little faster than I wanted. But was feeling good and my heart rate was reasonable. I was on track.....

After the nice downhill we made a turn and got on highway 97 headed for Osoyoos...I hit a bump on a bridge and there went my Gatorade bottle with some of my nutrition! Of course I was more worried about the rider to my side crashing due to my bottle flying out...luckily she made it by it without crashing! Whew! Thankfully there would be an aid station in the next few miles and I could pick up another bottle of Gatorade....just missing a few calories and salt. :( I successfully grabbed a Gatorade as I passed a volunteer. This made me nervous, I thought humm, we don't train for this. I have never RIDDEN through and aid station and grabbed a bottle before and I have heard lots of horror stories about crashing. I did it and got a good girl from the volunteer! Whew...ok now I had done it. I kept my head up for other riders and called out names - It's all about communication! Weird to call out fellow racer names like I have always ridden with them - but remember names are on the race numbers!

Made it to the 'famous' Husky station in Osoyoos, which marks the end of the 'easy' part of the Canada Ironman course. Here's where the training pays off or the course KICKS your ASS! I stopped at the aid station right before the start of the climb. A wonderful volunteer held my bike while I popped into the port o potty. Then I dumped Gatorade into my areo bottle on my handle bars. I also topped off my food storage in my 'bento box'. (this is a food holder on the top tube of my bike that holds lots of food). Grabbed another water and put NUUN in...left the top OPEN. Then headed up Richter....and to the camera man! Yes, those race guys are real nice...they side mid way up Richter and take your picture. I got a great one! Yes, I AM here for the pictures, apparently someone else was too - there was a guy who at one point said...great photo op and took out a little camera and took pictures of the view! Now that's my kind of racer.... :)

We kept going up, up, up. The road again was lined with cheering folks. I was feeling good....a gal next to me asked if we were to the top yet...I said...see that sign - that means you are THERE...of course we still have the 7 'Bitches' - What she said? I said - you know...those lovely rollers...there's 7 of them! Let's go get them!! There were some ladies holding a sign that said I love legs!! They had cool hats and were cheering - they called out my name and cheered me on. I dubbed them the leg's ladies!

We crested the hill and then it was DOWNHILL! YAHOO no headwind or cross wind to speak of...so I let go of the breaks and FLEW!

Here is where I think I was just in a zone, thinking of the out and back section and yellow lake, cause I really have NO RECOLLECTION of the rollers. I ate, drank and just kept going. I am pretty sure I took a couple of power gels from a couple of the aid stations I passed, just to supplement my food and keep my energy up. I did pass Sister Madonna somewhere in here as I remember seeing her and then heard someone call her name - she is the oldest racer and is just beautiful. Again, I have done this section of the ride 4 times so I know it well. I see the 'legs' ladies again and yell to them. They leap frog us pretty much the whole section. I can hear / see them coming (I and probably one other guy have a rear view mirror on our helmets) and raise my arm cheering. They yell out - 'we are loving you Ann'!!! I was loving them and the distraction.

Before I knew it I was at the turn off to the out and back section. This is where you see LOADS of fellow racers. This is also where you see lots of struggling faces. I just kept pedaling. There are two 'dog ears' on this section - meaning you do two out and backs then get on the main road again. This section is full of little 'false' flats and hills. Finally we get to the turn around and they call my number....I head to my special needs bag and I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

Special needs is an interesting place. Normally it should be about 1/2 way into the bike ride, Canada it is at mile 75....well past the 1/2 way point and folks are tired. A girl in front of me was straddling her bike, savoring Pringles. Another gal fell off her bike trying to get to her bag. I am not going for a 'win', so I do take advantage of special needs.....Waiting for me.....I have a silver cooler bag packed with 4 blue ice things. Much to my surprise my frozen Gatorade bottle is STILL mostly frozen. I get some ice cold Gatorade and think...this will taste really nice on Yellow Lake climb as it should be thawed right about then and STILL be ice cold. SWEET.

Then I take my WET, COLD wash cloth from the Ziploc bag and wash off my face and arms.....ahhhhhh what an AWESOME treat. This is absolutely the best feeling ever!

Then...I take my 'frosted' cookie from a Ziploc container.
Yes, it too has survived the travel from the start of the race. I savored 1/2 of the cookie, didn't want to chance making myself totally sick.

Then I was off to go get the last hill - Yellow Lake! I was like a new person out of special needs, it was like I was starting again. WOW talk about a second wind....I was fine on time so could afford to enjoy special needs and not be stressed about cutoff times. I was on schedule.
Yellow lake is coming......traffic is backed up on the road...again, the shoulder of the road is LINED with people yelling for you to go and you are almost there.....and I am almost there! It was not nearly as bad as July! Really, having all those people cheering for you and just looking around keeps you going. Finally that GREAT sign again and we were headed down around yellow lake to the most glorious downhill ever. Yes, if you were sitting in traffic that was me....screaming ALLLLLLL the way down the hill at 31 mph! YEHAW!!!! It was fun passing all those poor cars stuck in traffic! Near the turn off to town I passed a guy and said....Weeee that was fun, I wanna do it again. He wasn't impressed....so I pedaled on - yes, it was my time and I love the bike. It is like I read....you make that turn back on the highway 97 going into Penticton and you have wings. You are almost done with the bike....you have done it well within the time frame. I looked at the clock and started pushing a bit harder hoping I could make my 7 hours but fighting with myself as I knew I still had to run 26.2 miles!

I get into town and I hear - hey I think that's Ann - Cindy (a Penticton local) who I stayed with this summer for two races saw me and was cheering her head off along with her husband Seann! That was cool.
I pull into the 'dismount' area and hear the song - Walk 500 miles by the Proclaimers - Honest, I am not lying! I did laugh at that. Here's me after 112 miles....Sean (fellow North Bend person) captured me getting off the bike and No, I actually didn't pose for the picture. That is a true smile. It was a GREAT ride and my training totally paid dividends. I wouldn't have changed a thing. It really is ALL ABOUT THE BIKE!

I am back...and rack my bike. Again, I LOVE my number. I easily find my bike to run bag and head into the changing tent. Another volunteer takes my bag and we find a chair.

Here's where all modestly is lost. I and many other women opt to change shorts....so yep, you basically strip down and change your clothes. I put on my 'crazy' fancy pants...change my socks and shoes. This volunteer isn't Jeanne, but she helps me be organized. I hear numerous gals say they are so glad to be off the bike ~ me....well, I LIKE the bike so me, I'd rather do another leg of the bike instead of a 26.2 mile run.....

Again, I had my silver cooler bag packed with 4 blue ice things - my gatorade bottles are still mostly frozen, my wash cloth was also still cold. Again that wash cloth was heavenly! I wash my arms and face off. My bandanna was still cold also. I started carrying a bandanna a few runs ago to wipe off sweat from my face and have something I could get wet...later in the day this would be what keeps me going! Turn on my garmin computer. Put on my fuel belt and head out for the last long leg.

THE RUN:
Yep, just like I read the first couple of miles you are feeling OK! How could you not?!?! You just finished 2 legs of the race.....you are on the last part of your IRONMAN day. I have my awesome pants. If you don't want to be cheered on, DON'T wear anything to get attention...me, I wanted to drink it in and give the spectators something to remember...along with me! YEP, FANCY PANTS were my clothing of choice....Really, you can't miss them.
I heard, love the pants ~ go Ann so many times! It kept a huge smile on my face. Mile 1 or somewhere I saw Ruth, Ann J, Jeff K and Kaitlin. That was a nice lift. They said Barbara Rose was just ahead of me. I was feeling good. I heard the finish line and heard names of people finishing! I think the first woman was coming through....yep and I was just starting my run.

The nice pants kept coming...I started calling back that they'd be back in 6 hours in case anyone didn't get enough of them the first time!

Again, I passed saw Ruth, Ann J, Jeff K and Katlin on the way out of down town. Ruth asked me how I was....at that point - GREAT! Still flying high from the ride......I continued down Main Street. Had a posed photo for the photographer....yes, again I am all about the pictures! Now you see the pants?!?

I saw the 'legs' ladies again, we remembered each other....again got more cheers.

Here is where it got hard, yes, I did struggle. It was HOT and I started to feel nauseous. Food did not taste good...and I knew I needed to eat. Thankfully my GU flask did not taste bad to me....but my Gatorade did and my 'chews' did. I loaded up my bandanna with ice....patted my face. That was nice. I also got off my 8 min run / 1 min walk schedule. I was walking....just trying to settle my stomach. Heard someone else mumble the same thing. A team FAST (local Seattle Tri Group) gal was leaning over and a volunteer called a medic....she popped up and said she was fine - just stretching out her back. We all laughed as the poor volunteer had just run up with the first aid kit. Just testing....I walked with that gal a bit.

Again, I knew I'd be seeing Steve and Debbie at the house.....I think I ran a little. Then started down the little hill to the house...this was about mile 4.5. They brightened my day....I got to kiss Steve...I am sure I mumbled that I wasn't doing great. Debbie was like a crazy woman snapping pictures! Great encouragement. Cindy and Seann were there too. Steve had warned them, they would see me coming! That they did...can't miss those pants. Further down the road was Julie with the big pink sign again....I again I mumbled that I wasn't doing great, she yelled at me to look across the street at Duncan...I saw him and waved.....
That was the last of town, but there were still folks along the road. Many athletes walking at this point. Somewhere out here, I got my legs and tummy back and actually started running - aid station to aid station. Yes, my 8 / 1 went totally out the window....I just ran...and as soon as I saw the first porta pottie marking the onset of an aid station I would start walking. I started drinking pepsi and chicken broth ~ yep, double fisted drinker that I am. Best stuff ~ pretty much continued this at EACH aid station. There is a reason that there are aid stations every mile during an Ironman...now I know why. I also filled my bandanna with ice...MAN, I am sooooo very glad I had my bandanna. I patted my face and it kept me as cool as I could. This is also better than pouring water all over you and getting your shoes wet, as that would equal BLISTERS...and I was happy to keep those a bay for as long as possible. To keep my core cool I also filled my bra up with ice at each aid station.

Spoke with several athletes...many liked my pants. Just kept ticking the aid stations off. Kathleen caught me some where out on the road....we ran just a bit together and then she headed on. Saw Barbara Rose too. Did pose for a picture again!

Finally made it to special needs at 3 hours...again, had yet another silver cooler bag packed with 4 blue ice things. I had not used much of my fuel belt bottles, so didn't trade them out...in fact dumped one. I got my long sleeve shirt in case I got cold. Then again - the BEST thing ever - my cold wet wash cloth! Washed my face and let a big ahhhh out. A young gal who had commented on my pants was beside me - she let out a big sign to my ahhh. I said to her....I am tossing this wash cloth...so if you want it you are welcome to it. Might be gross to wash your face after me, but you are welcome to it. She said are you kidding, I don't care, I would love it! She said, she'd offer me her 'treat' but it was a toothbrush....and yeah that would be GROSS! We bundled up our bags and then headed back ....we were 1/2 done with the run and we were going to FINISH!

I ran just a bit...and then calculated in my head my time, dangerous I know no one should do ANY math after 12+ hours of exercise, but pretty much came to the conclusion that I had plenty of time. My goal for the run was shot, but I thought to myself....this is MY first Ironman....who am I doing this for?!? ME...so I feel good walking, I don't feel great running....so I am going to walk and enjoy the view, yes I'd like to be in under a 'certain' time, but again why...it's my first and I don't really want to feel like SHIT. The lake was beautiful. The moon was coming out....beautiful, unfortunately yellow due to forest fires, but an awesome sight. Athletes would pass me...ask how I was doing...Great I'd say. Saving my energy for the finish line....and then wish them well as they headed on. Some of them would keep running others would stop and walk. It was an effort for everyone. There was a volunteer giving out 'glow necklaces' so we could be seen. I happily took one and kept moving. At mile 19, it occurred to me that for the last 4+ hours I had been drinking Pepsi which equals caffeine! Yes, this is what I think about at mile 19, holy shit how will I be able to sleep tonight with all this caffeine. So from mile 19, it was Gatorade and chicken broth...ok, so really did you expect me to be thinking clearly?!?

I was almost to mile 22.5 which meant....seeing Steve and so much closer to the finish line. I was going to make it! I was walking, but making progress. I made it to Steve...dumped my fuel belt, extra shirt and my sunglasses. Ahhhhhh light as a feather. Debbie said I looked great...by this time I actually was feeling good. I kept motoring on after saying see you at the finish line.

I was then headed into downtown.....it was fun. Several athletes were more chatty here. We were going to finish...so the mood was lighter. I hit Main Street and I hear a few folks say...hey I remember those pants...I said...see I told you they'd be back in about 6 hours. Of course a big old smile on my face.

Down the street I see the clan - Cheryl, Ruth, Ann J, Barbara Rose - already an IRONMAN, Carla. I slow down and hug BR and congratulate her. Carla takes a quick picture...and of course Cheryl is yelling...GO...GO....., yeah I know...too social.

There are some great groups on the street and again, the PANTS take all the credit. They were awesome! I turned a corner and Debbie was there again, snapping photos telling me I look great. She runs along asking me about my day...I think she is more excited then me. Then she realizes that she must get to the finish line.....before me so she heads off and I head out to go PAST the finish line before I get to go down the chute......I am still walking but feeling the energy. It's 10 pm and the streets are still packed with yelling people. Amazing....the outdoor seating for restaruants are filled with finishers and familes....still cheering for us later folks. I turn the final cone to head back to that wonderful place called the finish line. I don't know where it comes from, but Cheryl had told me....you will go fast at the finish line and I had said no way, I want to savor it I'll go slow.....well, as usual Cheryl was RIGHT. Something takes over you.....(at least me) I just start running and smiling. I am going to make it...I am going to be an Ironman....here I come.
As I am heading towards the lights, yes, in this case you do want to go towards the LIGHT!

I hear.........Guns and Roses - Paradise City.

I want to go
I want to know
Oh, won't you please take me home

I want to see
Oh, look at me

Take me down to the paradise city
Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty
Take me home (Oh, won't you please take me home)

I want to see
Oh, look at me

I want to see
Boy, I'm gonna be mean
Oh, oh take me home

Take me down to the paradise city
Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty

I want to go
I want to know
Oh, won't you please take me hooooooome
Baby

Then I hear Steve King...says here comes Ann Sloan from North Bend....I'd like to say I remember him saying, Ann Sloan you are an Ironman, but I don't.
I am so HAPPY, arms in the air....I have done it!

Yes, Ann Sloan is an Ironman..........I am 'caught' by two wonderful volunteers who ask me my name....Ann I say. Then one asks..how was your day? I say AWESOME! They ask what size t-shirt and I am at a loss....and say...you actually want me to make a decision?!?! Then I see my wonderful husband walk down the road and he kisses me and takes me from the volunteers...after they have done their job to make sure I am 'relatively' sane and healthy. Sneaky Steve was able to get in behind the barriers. He rocks, my hero. Ok - now wipe those tears!!

Wait, there is more.....He walks with me to find Cheryl, Ruth, Ann J....don't recall who else was there at that point, I think I was babbling as usual.

Steve stays with me to pick up all my crap and then we meet the gang at the finisher area where I am to get food. Well, not much in the food category...but I shove down a bagel - pizza won't be here for another 20 minutes - yeah 20 minutes is LONG after a 16 + hour day.
I head over to get my finisher picture. I get up there and the photographer laughs at me...and says - I remember you!! You are here for the pictures! Yep that's me.

I head out and meet up with the clan again and Debbie takes more pictures.......then we head home. I spend the rest of the evening watching the last few finishers - seeing Sister Madonna finish and the last finisher. So cool that Penticton runs the race all day on TV.

WRAP UP:

Yes, I did have an EXCELLENT 'Christmas' Day!

Here's some stat's which got me to this wonderful day....

2009 totals
Bike: 196h 10m - 2790 Mi
Run: 135h 41m - 680 Mi
Swim: 74h 00m - 145,408 Yd

My last ride of 126 miles where I climbed 8000 feet. It was hard work, but well worth it to build my confidence...Hills of Kirkland Route is AWESOME training for Ironman Canada.

It really is about the training and IRONMAN day is about celebrating that hard work and I was lucky enough to have an AWESOME Day. I wouldn't have changed a thing and there was nothing I could have done better or differently.

And....no, I did NOT sign up for next year. Of course there will be a few 1/2 Irons, 1/2 Marathons and my first stand alone marathon on Oct 18.

But next year.....I will enjoy my 20 year anniversary to my greatest supporter.....Steve.

Pictures: http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=45838&BIB=2501&S=230&PWD=

There will be more pictures posted soon. My own GREAT personal photographer, Debra Feinman.

Last updated: 2008-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:38:00 | 4224 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:08:00 | 112 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:15:00 | 26.2 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-04 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
Subject: Ironman Canada

2009-09-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2390187

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada
Congrats and great pants!!!
2009-09-04 4:39 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

OMG Ann. That made me cry! You are AWESOME! AMAZING and SUCH an INSPIRATION!   I am so glad I was able to follow you all the way on this through training and even seeing you finish!  I am going to keep reading this because it makes my heart skip a wee beat in joy for you

Thanks for sharing.

2009-09-04 10:32 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I heart your pants! Great RR. Nice job pacing and taking in the day! You're an Ironman.

2009-09-05 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
What a great RR! Glad you had a super day, you wrote up an excellent report. Congrats IRONMAN!
2009-09-05 6:26 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Congratulations Ironman!!

2009-09-06 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Ann!  Awesome awesome day and RR!  Congratulations, Ironman!

Will Spike have an M-dot companion?
2009-09-06 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Ann...so glad you had an awesome day and finished your first IM happy!

Great job of executing your plan and your bike rocked!

I do think I saw your pants on the run but didn't know it was you..my ability to think clearly wasn't with me much of the day.

Super race report~

Congrats Ironman!!!!!!
2009-09-08 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Great race and RR, way to have fun!  And I want one of those cookies - can't believe you only ate half of it!  Looks way better than a gel, and it even matches your run pants. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Canada Rss Feed