New York, New York
United States
Nautica
Total Time = 2h 23m 2s
Overall Rank = 172/3314
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/230
Pre-race routine:

Got up, made coffee and ate my oatmeal. Bandaged toe that I sliced open two nights before. Grabbed my wetsuit and backpack and Danielle and I walked down to transition areas. We were in two different transitions so we planned a meeting spot, but for some reason we missed each other.
Event warmup:

Walked the mile up river to the swim start, stood in line for the porta-john, found Danielle in her swim start corral and then got in mine. We were the second wave of the second transition area and they made us wait 20 minutes after the last wave of the first transition went, so there was a lot of standing around.
Swim
  • 18m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the front of my wave corral, so I got to seed myself out on the end of the starting barge. That is where I wanted to be as the current is usually faster out in the middle of the river. I got in and held onto the rope, it didnt feel as strong as last year, I literally couldnt keep my legs pointing down last year, the current was so strong. I decided to push the swim as I knew with the current I should be under 20 mins, so when the horn sounded I got away from the pack by swimming hard the first 100m or so. I then settled into a pace and stayed out on the far side of the course. Tried to draft off of a couple of feet but found that they werent too good at swimming a straight line, so just settled into a stroke and swam. When I got to the exit platform I could feel some nasty muck on the bottom and it was getting all strirred up in the river, as my sliced toe bandage came off about 2 seconds into the swim I did not want to stand up in that stuff, so I kept stroking until I was at the platform and just pulled myself up and out.
What would you do differently?:

Not slice my toe open two nights before! Really though nothing, I was very pleased with my swim time and placing in my AG. It was much better than I normally am on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 33s
Comments:

Exited the swim and jogged a steady pace back to transition. Took the extra time to put socks on which I normally do not wear, because of the sliced and now bleeding toe.

Not slice my toe! :)
Bike
  • 1h 11m 9s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

My cycling has really been coming along this year, and I wanted to leave nothing on this course. I knew it had a few hills, but was confident in my ability to really hammer the bike and hills and recover on the downhill enough for the run. There were a few times that I had to slow as riders were inadvertantly blocking, but it is a big race and you have to expect that and realize that everybody else is dealing with the same. Most were very good about getting over when I called on your left.

Wish I had a newer bike and disk wheel, but other than that I was very pleased with my bike split.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Got out of shoes on 79th street before the traffic circle, came flying down the hill to the red transition area, I knew where the dismount line was and executed a perfect dismount at the line without losing much speed. I was first back into transition as far as I could tell, so I really flew thru it and headed out on the run konwing there were a lot of people behind me that wasnted to catch me.

Nothing
Run
  • 48m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

As I said I knew there were people that would be bearing down on me really soon so it was a lot of motivation to run. Last year I had the worst run on this course as both legs cramped less than 1 mile into it, so I was determined to have a good run this year. I ran by feel, as I didnt take the time to remove my Garmin from my bike, and was pleased as I kept a pace that I would have targeted even with my gps. It was one of those runs that you felt like stopping or slowing down, but I had enough mental motivation to keep pushing.

I would like to get faster, but that will come with time and work.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed straight to the medical tent as I wanted to get the cut on my toe irrigated and bandaged, they were great in there and took good care of me. Waited for Danielle to finish and we got massages. We walked out of the park and took one of the Pedicabs over to the transition area to get our stuff. Headed back to our hotel, showered packed up and headed to the train station.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was probably the best race to date of my 3 years of racing. I would like to continue to improve on all areas, but I think I performed to my maximum ability at this race.

Event comments:

Was a great race in a great city. Getting in the top ten in my AG was just icing on the cake. Danielle and I had a fabulous weekend in NYC,had a blast running in the underwear run on Friday and cant wait for next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/230
Overall: 401/3314
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Straight down the Hudson River
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:09 | 25 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/230
Overall: 150/3314
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:14 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/230
Overall: 494/3314
Course: Up a steep hill, out of Riverside park, across 72nd Street into the park and then the very hilly north loop of Central Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes