Skaneateles Labor Day Race Weekend
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 26s
Overall Rank = 427/615
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/42
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:50, got dressed, searched frantically for watch, didn't find it. Made coffee, PB and J sandwiches, and hit the road. The drive was shorter than I expected, and I got to Skaneatales by 6:10. I ate the PB and J on the way, as well as a banana. Parked, got marked and chipped, and set up. Ate a gel and some water about 7:10, and the race started up at 7:30 (my wave was 4th).
Event warmup:

Walking around, swimming up to starting line.
Swim
  • 20m
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

During the mini-mussel I was nervous about being able to swim the distance, so I didn't push myself much. This race, I came in better prepared, and really tried to push myself, stroking strong and concentrating on form. So I was disappointed when I saw my pace because it was basically the same as the Mini-mussel. But when I look at how I compared with the others in my AG, I actually improved- at the mini I was 27/41, and here I was 25/41, and there were definately fewer people with sub-2:00/100 paces. So I wonder whether the course was a little longer, either in the swim or the exit run.
What would you do differently?:

I was having a little more trouble sighting and staying straight while I was pushing the pace, and once had to backtrack for a couple strokes to stay on the correct side of the bouy. I need to work on my OWS technique, and get used to swimming harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Not too bad- wetsuit will be a pain until I get a new one. I didn't bother drying off my feet, which probably was OK (see run). I didn't stop to eat a gel this time, which saved a bit as well.

Get a new wetsuit?
Bike
  • 53m 33s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.69 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike just sucked. I am not prepared for these little rolling hills- I don't have aero shifters so I couldn't spend much time in aero position because I kept shifting up and down. My legs were pretty tired after my effort on the swim, and felt dead. To top it off, I thought I would try drinking exceed on the bike instead of having a gel, to save time. Unfortunately I mixed it too strong, and after half a bottle, I started getting a headache and a little nauseous- probably a little dehydrated from the hyperosmolar sugar load.

On the bright side, I was the top AG finisher who biked slower than 16 MPH! I take that as a hopeful sign :).

Train on more hills with less recovery- the hills I tend to do are long but have a long recovery after, which is pretty similar to Mini-mussel and FLT. For Skinnyman next year I think (besides just more time in the saddle) I would do some hill repeats with out much recover in between. Hydration wise, I think I'll go back to water, and instead have a gel on the bike at the beginning, and maybe the end.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Took a few seconds to swig some water.

Check shoes before race for objects inside them (see below).
Run
  • 25m 36s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This is really where I redeemed myself. I passed many of the people that passed me on the bike, and ended up with a very respectable time. I just let the cadence from the bike keep my legs moving, and trucked along. Fortunately after a couple of hills at the beginning (where I was passing people) the end was a nice slow downhill, and I really could pick up the pace a little. It was fun :). At the very end, a younger guy started sprinting past me- I started to run after him, and got egged on by the announcer, and caught up to him at the finish. Hehehe.

I did notice something in my left shoe at the beginning. I was a little worried it would cause a blister, but I wiggled my toes around to put it in the little hollow under the toes. Turned out it was a broken rubber band- NO idea how it got there!

Nothing, really. I was pretty happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a massage (nice!), rehydrated, and ate pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and hydration, and training (as usual)

I went into the race not being that psyched up, after a hard week, so in that sense I'm pretty happy with how it went, and that I started at all. On the other hand, training had been going well, so I was hoping for a better bike. Overall I'm less disappointed than I was yesterday, and I'm looking forward to Fingerlakes in a couple of weeks.

Event comments:

My first time at this race- it was a nice race, well organized, and would have been more fun if I had people I know there!

Last updated: 2009-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 800 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/42
Overall: 429/615
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Out across and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:33 | 14 miles | 15.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/42
Overall: 498/615
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and about- lots of left turns. Lots of rolling hills...by the end I was saying to myself- oh my gosh, another f-ing hill? And I don't swear much. They were mostly not big hills (well, there was one) but they just kept coming, and the downhills were too short to be helpful.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:36 | 03 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/42
Overall: 359/615
Performance: Good
Course: Out and around
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-06 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Skinnyman Triathlon

2009-09-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2392143

User image

New user

Liverpool (Syracuse), New York
Subject: RE: Skinnyman Triathlon
Very good race yesterday. I did it too, and was on the course for an extra 18 minutes compared to you. Nice job. Saw your comments about the bike course, time in the saddle is all you need. I rode the bike course several times in the weeks before the race except that pesky Benson Rd. hill as there is no shoulder and I don't want to get nailed by a car.
2009-09-07 9:40 AM

User image

New user

Franklin, Tennessee
Congrats! Way to finish strong. The announcer was great.  hear you on the bike. The course was rarely flat and open. That hill work you're talking about should really pay off.
2009-09-07 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Nice job out there!!!  Way to go finishing strong on the run!!!

2009-09-07 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job and good race report. 
2009-09-09 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I totally hear you on the rolling hills, my last race was either going up a hill or getting ready to go up a hill!  Way to crush it on the run! Good Job!

2009-09-10 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Nice job!  Way to give that younger guy a run for his money! 
2009-09-10 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
I loved that the announcer egged you on. Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skinnyman Triathlon Rss Feed