General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Partner backed out of HIM relay- Should I attempt it solo? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-06 6:55 PM

Subject: Partner backed out of HIM relay- Should I attempt it solo?
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a month or two (mainly trying to read every thread in the gear forum, but also dabbling in beginner, ironman, and nutrition). I'll try to make this clear and concise, but it will probably end up a bit long-winded, and for that I apologize. Any advice or insight I can get from this is greatly appreciated.

The short version:
I have signed up for the Duke Liver Center Half Ironman http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1188), and originally intended to do it as a relay with my neighbor. I was going to do the swim, he the bike, and then I'd do the run. Unfortunately, he will not be available that weekend, so I'm contemplating doing the entire thing myself.

The long version:
I'm fairly out of shape right now, but I have a strong running background from when I was in the military. At my peak, I was running at least 100-150+ miles/week, but that was 7 years ago. I did very little exercise between 2003 and last summer, when I started training for another marathon. Unfortunately, I pulled my calf around mile 20 of a training run in October, and stopped running until earlier this summer. A coworker heard that I did a few triathlons when I was in the military, and asked me to fill a gap on her relay team for a sprint distance race http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1177). I'm not a strong swimmer, but I handled the 750m in choppy water without too much trouble, but put in a very slow time even for me. That reinvigorated my interest in triathlons, so I made the decision to start training for an Ironman again (I was trying to train for one during my military service, and did all the individual pieces, but never put them together or competed much). I decided some good mid to long-term goals would be the New Orleans HIM in April, and then a full IM in November (I'm debating between IMFL and Beach 2 Battleship, leaning towards B2B due to proximity to me). I figured I could do a few tris or relays late this season just to get into shape and get past some of the stupid beginner mistakes I am bound to make, and start training intently next year. My partner backing out of the HIM relay is an inconvenience, but I think I might actually be able to pull it off myself.

Yesterday, I went for a "long" ride (this was only my third ride on the bike (Cervelo P2C) since I bought it last month, and before that, the last time I rode anything was around 2001), and did a ~40mi hilly ride http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=107833) followed by a 4.7mi run/walk. (All of my recent workouts can be found here:http://connect.garmin.com/explore?owner=mwgemini). My average on the bike was 15mph, and I think my test ride is pretty close to the hills of the actual course http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=84736, http://www.setupevents.com/files/2009BikeElevation.pdf). From a close examination of my usual run routes with the actual race course, I think the actual race is just a bit more hilly. I felt great after then run, and I feel great today. I definitely feel like I could have gone farther and faster (although not by much), but I would definitely be slow/weak on more steep hills.

My "plan":
I'm thinking that with my performance at the Nuclear Mile last month http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12161344), I should be able to put in a 45 minute swim time, especially if I'm wearing my new wetsuit that I've yet to try out. For easier math, if I can be out of T1 in an hour and average 15mph on the bike, that puts me out of T2 in less than 5 hours, which should give me 3 hours for the run. Even if I can't run it all (which will probably be the case given that I have not trained for the bike AT ALL), if I can average <13.5min/mi, I will still finish under the cutoff. I think I can pull that off with a run/walk, given my pacing yesterday. Worst case scenario, the swim and/or bike goes worse than I am hoping, or I don't nail the nutrition (which is my biggest question mark right now), and I end up getting pulled off the course during the run because I can't make the final cutoff. If that is the case, I will no doubt learn a lot about everything, and that knowledge will help me out a lot in New Orleans and B2B/IMFL next year. Best case scenario, I (barely) make the 8hr cutoff, learn a lot, and gain the confidence to shoot for a <6hr HIM in New Orleans and maybe a <13hr IM next November. Either outcome works for me.

My question: 
Should I attempt to do the whole thing, even though I have basically not trained for it at all, or should I stick with my original plan, and just do the swim/run (assuming I can find a replacement cyclist), or just skip the race entirely?

I appreciate any input/advice.

Thanks,

Mike

2009-09-06 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2392608

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Partner backed out of HIM relay- Should I attempt it solo?
Post in your State's forum and see if you can locate someone. Don't do a HIM not trained..it would be ugly.

I've done HIM and IM relays with folks I have found here on BT and had a blast.
2009-09-06 7:19 PM

Well I felt great after 4 hours yesterday, and I've got a strong background on the mental part, coming from a special operations background, so I'm not worried about that part (we all enjoy pain to a certain degree to be in this sport, right? ). And like I said, even if I DNF (which would only happen on the run due to time constraints- I KNOW I can handle the distance, I've done FAR worse!), I'll learn a lot from the experience. I think the only two things holding me back from definitely doing it are the risk of injury and not having the nutrition figured out. I think that since I climbed as much in 40 miles yesterday as I will in 56/57 on the actual course and felt pretty good, the risk of injury is pretty low- I know my body pretty well. I'm more concerned about the nutrition part, but I think my past experience has given me enough knowledge to "wing it" and not do too horribly.Thanks for the fast response, btw!Mike
2009-09-06 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think you'd be totally fine. You come from a high-level running background so obviously you've got a great engine. I did a half ironman in May in a pretty untrained state and it went fine, although I did end up run/walking the run (which was the only thing I was really trained for!)

As long as you don't have any strict time goals, and you won't be too disappointed if its a little slower than you'd like, Id say go for it!
2009-09-06 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Contact the race director - they may be able to hook you up.  That is how I have gotten spots as a swimmer.
2009-09-07 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You already know what it is you want to do your post says it...just quit see sawing and DO IT!!   That is what you want to hear right?

2009-09-07 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

I agree... it sounds like you have already made up your mind.  If you can handle being a bit slower than you had hoped and maybe disappointed in the results... go for it... but me thinks you already made up your mind!

2009-09-07 10:15 AM

I hadn't quite already made up my mind- I was on the edge and definitely leaning one way, but not committed yet. I don't think I'll be dissapointed with the outcome, as long as I put in a good effort.

Thanks,

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Partner backed out of HIM relay- Should I attempt it solo? Rss Feed