View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oak Brook, Illinois
United States
Total Time = 2h 21m 33s
Overall Rank = 1125/1509
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 74/115
Pre-race routine:

2 packs of oatmeal, 2 pieces of raisin toast....forgot gatorade and event started 22 minutes late so I was famished early - oops!
Event warmup:

Ummm, stand in line for packet pick-up...walk to potty...walk back to start. Go!
Run
  • 2h 21m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

PR! With sinus infection and scratchy throat! The website said the course was rolling and man was that accurate. Had a plan to go out at 11s and then speed up but that didn't happen. All but two miles were under 10:50. Late start left me hungry by mile 2. Food and gatorade never made the hunger go away but tried to maintain pace anyways and hope I never bonked. Hips a little sore, not sure if its from the hills or just running at a quicker pace than my long runs have been at. Will tack on 5 more miles before dinner to get to the 18 I was supposed to do today.
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm...eat more just prior to the race - should have had a few lemon thingies since start was delayed. Probably should have consumed more calories in the morning as well. Maybe a drink with calories instead of crystal light.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Had a few bites of bagel and a bottle of water. Sidenote: although I usually enjoy a good post race bagel and I 'get' the nutritional value of such a thing after a race, man is it dry! After a tough run, I want a smoothie, not a dry bagel (I also understand the logistics of anything other than bagels and bananas is challenging but one can wish right!?).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not a fast runner. Might not ever be a 'fast' runner but at least my times are going in the right direction!

Event comments:

Great race! Aid stations well stocked and plenty of volunteers. Only issue was packet pick-up being delayed while they had to wait for something to show up (seems like it was the bibs). They delayed the start 20 minutes to make sure everyone got through the line. Packet pick-up was available last week but the site is not close to home so I decided to wait until race morning (we got there right before packet pick-up was supposed to start but it didn't help any). Can't really complain I suppose.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/115
Overall: 0/1509
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills throughout with some short and steep ones in the middle. Lots of different terrain - roads, paved bike paths, limestone path, few wooden bridges.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes