General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some encouragement! Darn water!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-07 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Need some encouragement! Darn water!!
Hi everyone! I am really down today.. My first Oly is this coming Saturday. My history: this will be my 5th tri, second season, two tri's completed in open water- one bad and one good. This Saturday's race will be an OWS. Today, a group of us got together at a lake about an hour from where I live to do an OWS in our wetsuits. Water temp was 69-70 degrees. BRRRR!! I got in the water with my full wetsuit on, put my face in the water, and boom- panic. I could not do it. The water was cold. I couldn't see, I couldn't get my breath at all. I maybe swam a total of 400yds, with only about 20 strokes of freestyle. Pathetic. I got in the back of our friend's boat, took the friggin wetsuit off, and jumped back in the lake. BRRRR! Got used to that and then did swim. Felt better, but cold. Now, my lungs hurt, I've been coughing all afternoon, and I'm just down in the dumps. How will I ever get this darn Oly swim done?? My pool swimming is good... Here's my plan for the rest of this week: tomorrow I am taking my wetsuit and me to the pool and try swimming in an controlled, familiar environment with the giant girdle on. Then, Thursday, back to the lake to try it again. Then, I guess Saturday I'll let the cards fall where they fall. I think the two big things at play here are the cold water- (I never swim in water that cold!), and the wetsuit. Thank you for reading my post, I just needed to get this off of my chest. It's just so frustrating to see others doing so well in the water, and here I am acting like a human bobber!

2009-09-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2393569

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Need some encouragement! Darn water!!
The first time I went for an OWS, I headed right to the center of the pond (what we call lakes up here), the wind was blowing a little bit and promptly freaked out. I almost hyperventilated and panicked - didn't think I would make it back to shore. Swam a grand total of 4 minutes. At that point, I freaked out that I would never be able to do the swim...

A good friend suggested that I 1) swim around the edges and 2) go back in. So, for the two weeks before my first race, I swam in that pond as often as I could (always with someone watching, just in case)...they put out the course markers a week before and I made myself swim the route.

Keep getting out there...go with someone else...swim around the edges. The first time you go in and the swim goes well, it will help - but that means you need to get back into the water.

Good luck!
2009-09-07 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

"The only way to get better at swimming up hills, is to practice swimming up hills"

In other words, just keep working on it - OWS is nothing but a wet hill.

Maybe try rolling over on your back and floating for a bit if you feel an episode creeping up on you (heck, do some backstroke if it suits your fancy!).  The suit will keep you floating, plenty of air to catch, and in practice there's no pressure to keep moving.

As you say, your pool swimming is good; it likely didn't start that way, but practice got you there

Edited by StMaas 2009-09-07 6:11 PM
2009-09-07 6:23 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
With the race less than a week away, my suggestion is to get back to the lake as many times in the next 4 days as you can.  Don't pay any attention to how far you swim, or how fast.  Just spend some time along the shore line (preferably in water waist deep), and practice relaxing.  Swim back and forth along the shore line.  Don't go with a whole group of people, because then there's pressure to keep up with them.  If possible, only take one other person for safety and encouragement.

It sounds like you're not questioning your abilities as much as you just haven't put in the time in the lake, and the natural reaction is to freak out a little.  FWIW, this happens to almost everyone when they first get in a wetsuit in open water.  Also, be glad the water is that warm.  My first OWS was in 55 degree water.

Also, since this should be a taper period for you, make sure you don't over do it.

2009-09-07 6:40 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have spent the past few years fighting OWS panic.  THe advice to get in as much as possible this week is key.  On race day swim your own race, don't freak out when swimmers from waves behind yours pass you.  Stay close to the bouy line but in the back of your wave.  If there is an option for a different color cap to wear so the kayakers can identify the less than comfortable OWS swimmers take it.  They will keep a close eye out for you.

The week prior to my last race I was on vacation.  I hadn't had much OWS where I live this year due to the rain messing up tri club swim days.  I found a lake near my families house and went daily.  I got permission from the guards to go out beyond the roped off area, they let me have an area about 100 meters long between 2 barrels right behind the roped off area.  It made a huge difference, by race day I had no problem in my swim--a first for me.  Every opportunity to swim in a lake was taken by me.

Really cold water does take the breath away.  Get in and get used to it.  Ear plugs (you can buy at Walmat) if the current bothers you are a big help.  Those 63 cent earplugs I bought made a huge difference to me.

2009-09-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2393681

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

QueenZipp - 2009-09-07 4:40 PM

Really cold water does take the breath away.  Get in and get used to it.

x2. I also second your idea of swimming in a pool with your wetsuit to get used to the compression on your chest. I strongly recommend that the morning of your race, you get in the water at least a half hour before your wave starts and just get used to the water. It's going to be cold and it's going to take your breath away but you will get used to it. It may take a while (that's why I'm recommending 30 minutes) but your normal breathing will come back. Honest.

2009-09-08 5:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you so much everyone for your words! I'm going to stick with it. I've worked too hard to let this get me down! I should be excited! I am for the bike and run! LOL!! I will definitely heed your words and report back with how the week goes! Have a great day!
2009-09-08 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

the greatest advice i ever got about dealing with COLD water is to get your face in it.  i did the columbia tri in 2008.  it was COLD (around 64 i think).  it was a in water start and while i was waiting i just floated on my back.  when the horn when off and i tried to swim, i started to hyperventilate.  i had to do a modified, head above water freestyle for the first several minutes until i got my breath back.

i read that getting your face used to the water is the number one way to prevent hyperventilating.  the article suggested that in cold water, get in early if possible and instead of just waiting for the horn to go off by treading water, get your face in the water.  i did this at columbia 2009, granted it was not as cold, but i got in and while i was waiting i just kept my face in the water.  in the 2 minutes or so we had to wait for the start i got my hyperventilating over then and by the time to horn went off I was fine.  if you can't get in before, maybe just splash your face a lot.  it worked like a charm for me.

2009-09-08 7:39 AM

New user

Horsham, UK

hooslisa has got it right - get in early and get your face in the water. It really will you help get used to it and will get you breathing right in no time

I paid for a coached OWS fairly early on in the season in the UK last year - the water temp in the lake was 14.5 deg C (not sure on deg F), but needless to say it was damn cold....

One of the 1st things he made the group do was to bob in the water for about 2 or 3 minutes and put our face in, blowing out for 10 seconds at a time. I could barely manage 10s the 1st time, but the more I did it, the easier it become so that by the time we had been in the water for 2 or 3 minutes it was fine and we could all get on with our session. It has always stuck with me since and I'm always in the water earlier than most - just to help me relax a bit and calm the nerves.
2009-09-08 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Report from today's swim: took the wetsuit to the pool, put it on, nice lifeguard zipped me up, got in, and finally felt how the wetsuit is supposed to feel. I felt bouyant and light. I then proceeded to swim 500 yds. It didn't feel tight or constricting. Today was good for my confidence. Thursday, it's back to the lake. I'm definitely going to use all of your pointers. I even emailed the race director of the Oly I'm doing Saturday to see if I can get in the race lake Friday afternoon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some encouragement! Darn water!! Rss Feed