General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New England Fall Sprint Clothing Question --Brrrrrrrrrr! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-07 6:50 PM

Subject: New England Fall Sprint Clothing Question --Brrrrrrrrrr!
I'm doing my last Tri of the season in a few weeks and it's already super chilly in the mornings up here in New England!

I've only done late spring/summer tris this year and just wore a tri suit but I know I'm going to freeze coming out of the pool and heading out on the bike with just that on so I'm trying to figure out what to put on over the tri suit.

Do folks slap on a jacket in the fall for the ride leg?  If so, I'm assuming I'd peel it off for the run.

Any other clothing advice?  I'm worried my hands will freeze and thought about putting gloves on but I can just see myself spending hours in T1 trying to get those darned things on!

Thanks much!

JRo

2009-09-07 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2393691

User image

Panama City Beach
Subject: RE: New England Fall Sprint Clothing Question --Brrrrrrrrrr!
If I was racing in New England I would wear a parka!    For my last race in WA I though it was freezing (I'm form FL),  I wore my UA thermal top for the bike, and put my running gloves on while I was biking. 
2009-09-07 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
hopefully someone who's raced up here this time of year will post....
I have a race saturday and the weather forcast at current says "58 degrees and showers" Yuck!

fwiw, i wore a long sleeve dry-fit shirt over my sprts bra and tri-shorts in my last cold race- May 10.  Also swam in the wetsuit.
2009-09-07 9:01 PM

User image

I was thinking the same thing as I have a sprint end of sept.  It starts at noon to take advantage of  low tide and the run is on the beach so maybe it won't be bad, but I am putting a zip up moisture wick jacket in my trans bag.  I figure zip up will be the easiest to put on and I can toss it easy enough for the run if I want.  we will see what the temps are like.
2009-09-07 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

If its drizzly or chilly I wear a vest. It make s a huge difference and its easy to take off for the run.

2009-09-08 4:33 AM

Thanks everyone!  I'm thinking a zip up vest is the way to go and will try for the gloves en route!

Good luck to all!

Best,

JRo

2009-09-08 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
Along with the vest you may want to try arm warmers as well.  I raced in Ashland, NH this weekend and it was only about 55 degrees at the start of the swim, but the water was low 70's so it was a nice swim.  I do not know what the temp was by the time I was done with the bike leg, but a normal tri suit was fine and I was not cold....there was tons of climbing though to make sure you warmed up.
2009-09-09 9:23 AM

New England training is absolutely crazy.  It was 90 and humit here just 2 weeks ago..  I lived here all my live once Sept arrives its cold mornings. 

Little story:

I decided to go lake swimming on Monday morning.  When I left the house I could see my breath. And I do not have a wet suit.. I knew it would be interesting..  The water was colder then it was just a week ago.  I was able to get a 20 min swim in.  When the air hit my body I was shaking and put the HEAT on in the car.  Just crazy for Sept 7th. Heat in the car...  I want CA.... so bad..You people dont know how good u have it...
2009-09-09 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK...why do most of us do tri's?  Because it's FUN! 

Is it fun to freeze?  No...OK...then why would you choose to do that?  Yea, it takes a few extra seconds to dry off, put on socks, maybe a zip-up jacket or warm shirt, but then you can ENJOY the ride.  If you're gunning for a podium spot, it might make sense to suffer a little discomfort, but I'm not in danger of top-3 in my AG (or almost any age group), so the discomfort isn't worth it to me.  Arm warmers can help, but if you're wet from the swim, protect your torso.  Maybe also use a skull cap under your helmet. 

For the gloves, put them over the ends of your aerobars or use the velcro flap to put them around your handlebar and put them on while riding (TRY THIS AHEAD OF TIME!!

2009-09-09 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
I do a winter (Dec.) tri here in the CA desert. Last year it was right around 30 degrees +- at the start. Since this is a reverse it is easiest and most comfortable to run/bike in gloves and zip up tight riding jacket. Being comfortable is worth the extra couple seconds for this particular event IMO.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New England Fall Sprint Clothing Question --Brrrrrrrrrr! Rss Feed