United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 am, ate bowl of corn flakes and Peanut Butter Toast. Got to the site about 6:15 am. Plenty early to set-up my transition in the rain.
Event warmup:

Swam about 150 yds. or so. About 25 minutes prior to my wave. Appeared to be enough warm-up. Was a bit nervous as this was my first full sprint.
Swim
  • 15m 11s
  • 900 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nailed the swim. Was my first full sprint. I felt so good about the swim and my time. I couldn't believe it when I got out of the water. I was so pumped. Betwen bouy 1 and 2 I drafted so well. I was right next to someone and when I realized he was slowing down on went on to the next person. Between bouy 2 and 3 and in the home stretch I was pretty much by myself with no traffic and into a great pace. I had practices three open water swims with the local tri club it was so worth it. Thanks Willamette Valley Tri Club Members.
What would you do differently?:

Probabaly work on having a better start. Started at the back and right away I ran into a lot of slower traffic. More than I wanted to and needed to. I am a much better swimmer that I give myself credit for. Go ahead and get right after it. Work on a better start.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Long run to T1 from the lake. New Wetsuit is longer than the one I used to rent. Stuck on my heels; almost pulled my timing chip off as well.

Nothing really. Pretty average T1. In the off season I am going to work on riding without socks to elimnate the need for these all together for next season.
Bike
  • 44m 44s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hilly course. Did what I expected. Was worreid I'd burn myself out for the run.

Need to ride more and build more strength in the legs. Work on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Couldn't find my rack. Racked in the wrong row prior to the race so when I went to rack I could find my stuff. My own fault.

Rack in he right row. Look back from the bike in to the rack so I know where I was at. Didn't do this at my first race as well and the same thing happened. I have to quit doing that!!! Also changed my socks so I had dry socks when running. In the off season I want to do away with socks altogether so want to get used to running without them.
Run
  • 27m 27s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

HIlly course. Thing is I had my best run yet. Improved my time again from two prevous runs. Down hills forced me to pick up the pace and longer strides at the end helped.

Need to develop better running form either quicken my pace (quicker feet) or develop better stride.
Post race
Warm down:

None; stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more time on the bike and less than average T2.

Event comments:

Great race even with the rain. My wife and son came to see me race for the first time. Mised the award ceremony where I got a medal for second in my age group.

Last updated: 2009-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:11 | 900 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 16/
Performance: Good
Suit: XTERRA Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise Triangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:44 | 12.4 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 58/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Very Hilly course. Rode the course two times before the race. My time is pretty much what I expected it to be.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:27 | 03.2 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 69/
Performance: Good
Course: Up and down; hilly. 1.5 out and 1.5 back. Lowerd my revious 5K by a full minute and met my goal of running a below 9 minute pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes