General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Monaco HIM - my experiences Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-08 5:07 AM

New user

Horsham, UK
Subject: Monaco HIM - my experiences
hi guys,

2 things sum up this event - fantastic location / DAMN HARD bike !

I finished it - but only just. Had the hardest, toughest, worst tri race of my life on Sunday. Was broken both mentally & physically by the end of it. I'm built for comfort, not speed - weighing in at just under 200lbs - this was not a good course for me.

It all started going wrong at the check in - never change how you do things at the last minute.... I will repeat, never change how you do things at the last minute. I normally never wear socks, and leave my bike shoes clipped to the bike. All the guys I went with were goign to wear socks oin the bike and had their shoes in the bike bag - so I did the same... not wise as it costed me a few minutes in T1 on the day.

So the start was tough - I'm not a bad swimmer & was aiming for about a 36/37min swim, but got myself completely at the back of the swim start group & struggled to get going with oround 1000 ahead of me. then when i did get some clear space after about 450m at the 1st turn point I was ok. On the last leg back to shore I got stung on the hands, ankle & forehead by jelly fish !!

Then out on the bike... none of the training I'd done up to then had me prepared for those hills. you came out of T1, had about 1km to settle into the ride before heading up the 1st hill that lasted for about 14 or 15km at an average of aroun 5 or 6% before the gradient dropped to an easier level for the next 5 or 6km. Then a lot of fast downhills, tight corners which I enjoyed before hitting hill number 2. another 5 or 6km of uphill before an 8% gradient near the top just to remind you that you're in the hilly/mountanous region of southern France before another nice downhill section leading to the final hill - 9km of agony for me. I finally made it into T2 after just over 4hrs on the bike - and I was feeling bad.

after a slow transition, I headed out onto a fairly uneventful run... well, actually walk in my case. I'd blown up so badly on the bike I was struggling to get through & only managed a 3hr run segment.

TERRIBLE !!! yet today I'm sitting here thinking of the positives I'm going to get out of it - anything else is going to seem easy

the hardest thing for me was that I did the SA HIM in a time of 7:22. Not brilliant, but it was my 1st and I am still new to the sport (relatively speaking) - less than 2 years of doing mainly sprints & 1 olympic distance. I'm a lot fitter and stronger that I was back then - yet I came in at just under 8hrs and was (understadably) disappointed with my result

I went looking for a sub 6:50 - it saw me coming, took me in, chewed me up and spat me out - then just as I thought I was in the clear, it pulled me back in put me through the spin cycle - twice - and spat me out into T2.

To everyone/anyone who went there & did it, or has done it in the past - I have huge respect for you! Well done.

2009-09-08 5:26 AM
in reply to: #2394040

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Monaco HIM - my experiences
Great, and very candid, thoughts.

I'm thinking about this one for next year. I've heard the bike is tough, but the allure of racing this one is strong.
2009-09-08 7:08 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Thats really incredible that you attempted and finished this race. Congrats! Would you say more people were riding road or tri bikes due to the hilly course?
2009-09-08 7:22 AM

New user

Horsham, UK
virtually everyone had road bikes. In fact, I even saw a mountain bike with slicks on it... I checked out his time and he did a 3:16 bike split !!! incredible.

there were some people with tri bikes, but with the long hills and so many tight corners on the downhill sections - I don't really think a tri bike would give you any advantage unless you were a top athlete. even then, I think the handling and comfort of the road bike would far outweigh any aero advantage the tri bike has.
2009-09-08 7:37 AM

User image

Panama City Beach

I actualy check into this race, but past it up due to air fair. What an awsome place to race.  Thanks to your post, I will have to remind myself to take it easy on this race and enjoy, so as not to ruin the experiance of racing in France.  I just did a HIM in Washinton state with LOTS of HILLS, and comming from Florida with no hills, it was tough.   Good job on pushing though it.  

2009-09-08 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hello

I enjoyed reading your race report.  I think finishing is the main thing and you hung in there under some difficult bike conditions.

Good job!

Kevin

2009-09-08 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I have heard that the bike at Monaco is evil so though it is on my to do list, I am waiting a few years (or maybe lots of years) until I think I can climb that much!!!

so now are you going to do St Croix????
2009-09-08 8:29 AM

New user

Horsham, UK
Ultimately, my aim is to complete in each country where the 70.3 is being run, so st croix is definitely on the cards - just might take me a while to get there.. For now at least I think I'm looking for a couple flat(ish) ones for a little while. I need time to digest, lick my wounds & regroup.

I'm heading to South Africa again in January as it is a fantastic race and the course is good. 1 or 2 key climbs during the race, but it's not too bad & is waaaaay easier than Monaco. then who knows which one after that - maybe Switzerland or even Belgium for a super fast one
2009-09-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2394228

User image

Champion
New York, NY
mpk - 2009-09-08 9:29 AM Ultimately, my aim is to complete in each country where the 70.3 is being run, so st croix is definitely on the cards - just might take me a while to get there.. For now at least I think I'm looking for a couple flat(ish) ones for a little while. I need time to digest, lick my wounds & regroup. I'm heading to South Africa again in January as it is a fantastic race and the course is good. 1 or 2 key climbs during the race, but it's not too bad & is waaaaay easier than Monaco. then who knows which one after that - maybe Switzerland or even Belgium for a super fast one

me too!  I want to do all the 70.3's - but I am starting with the flatter ones.....(well redoing Timberman which is not so flat) after next year will start picking other countries - Phuket, Malaysia.....Australia and South Africa will have to wait until my kids are in college as I want some time in both countries - I might even take a whole winter off.....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Monaco HIM - my experiences Rss Feed