General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Disaster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-08 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Subject: Swimming Disaster
Ok, I competed in my second sprint Sunday, and it had an OWS, which was the first time I had ever done one. I went out and practiced a little before the start of the race, 2-3 25yd. swims. Everything seemed ok, other than the water was colder than what I was used to, so that was a change to my breathing and body. I wasn't ready for what was about to come.
When the horn went off, about 80 of us headed into the water. First problem was, I couldn't get my goggles to quit filling with water. After stopping(where I could still stand) and getting them readjusted, I took off again only to have it happen again, in addition to getting swam over, on top of, etc. I was now unable to get a swimming rhythm or stroke going and was having a hard time getting my air. I was also unable to touch bottom at this point and started to panic a little. I was ready to throw in the towel and get some help as the next wave of swimmers was coming and swimming over/under me. Somehow I managed to get into a sidestroke and continue on. This was very frustrating, as my swimming had improved quite a bit. I will say though, I only swim in a pool as there are no lakes nearby to train in and this was my first time ever in a lake swimming, since I was a little kid.
So, just looking for some insight from you experienced swimmers/tri'ers.

I assume, I should have stayed to the outside of everyone, and had my own space, instead of getting toward the middle but beyond that, don't know what else to do other than get some practice in a lake, if I can.
TIA

Edited by DJS 2009-09-08 8:37 AM

2009-09-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2394241

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Swimming Disaster
Welcome to OWS!

My first experience was not as bad as yours, but not great either.  I have done several since then.  Two things have helped me:

(1) swimming in the ocean a few times (while on vacation--I don't live there, alas).  Learning to do this without lots of people around removes one element of racing (the crowd), but at the same time, the ocean conditions (at least where I've done it) are much more severe than any lake (that I've seen).  People surf where I was swimming....

(2) Swimming more.  As I got stronger in my swimming, I became muchg more comfortable (or at least, less uncomfortable) getting bumped, jostled, etc...

I think that (2) was more important than (1).  I'm now very comfortable in the water (and I chalk that up to spending more time in the pool).  Not fast, but comfortable.  I think someone would have to actively attempt to drown me now before the panic button went on.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying:  swim more; it'll probably help.

And congrats on your tri!
2009-09-08 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Sorry to hear about that that sounds rough. 

Just keep doing open water Tri's it gets better. It wasn't until my fourth one that I felt comfortable with the jostling and such. Until then I stayed away (off to the side and back a bit) from the main pack, and that worked, and you mentioned this.

Also, a couple of minutes before start time, I put goggles on, and duck underwater to make sure there are no leaks.

Open water swim is a new species of swim, I think everyone their first time out has a crazy experience.

If it was your first tri did you go in the Novice category? Was there a novice category? My first I was in the Novice category and we were all so scared, and in the second-to-last wave, so things worked out OK.

I look forward to others' responses, there are a lot of great triathletes here.

2009-09-08 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Oh, wow.... My first OWS is this weekend and reading this isn't making me feel any better!

But it sounds like you would have been ok if you had not been fighting your googles.  Perhaps a better fitting google?

I sure hope I come back with a good report after mine...
2009-09-08 9:08 AM

This is my first post, and I think this might be a good place for my question, but if I should start a new link, someone please let me know.

I've only done one sprint tri in a pool and want to do others, including a open water sprint. I tried practice swimming in a lake recently and really felt like I was having a mild panic attack after about 50-75 yards. Ive never been that comfortable in the water, but the comfort of a pool (i.e being able to stand and see the bottom) i was ok with for short distances. (250) In a pool, I know I could get through 500M with some stops to catch my breath. Since I am a begginer, as far as swim time, I'm not that concerned with low times. I just want to do my best and get to the bike/run.  

Without seeing more then 1ft from my face, I felt soooo claustrophobic (sp?) and some thoughts of drowning since I cant touch bottom. Objectivitly, I know that was a very long shot since I was with others, and I wasnt tired (more so paniced)

Anyway, I guess here is my question..Other then time in the water, are there any mential tips to help get through this and second, how much confidence could a wetsuit bring with the extra bouyance that would allow me to float easier and catch my breath/rest? Thank you.....
2009-09-08 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2394329

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
LMST - the first time I OWS, I headed from the dock straight to the middle of the pond and had a panic attack...a couple of things were recommended to me and now I am MUCH more comfortable:

1) you don't have to swim to the middle - you can swim around the edges where you can always put your feet down if you get spooked.

2) practice siting - choose some landmark that you will swim towards (I try to choose something really bright so it is easy to see), every 8 strokes or so take a look.

3) always go with someone (so you know they can help you if you get in a bad situation)

4) you can lash a boogie board to your ankle and drag it along behind you to use to rest on if you are really uncomfortable

5)  the wetsuit adds an unbelievable amount of boyancy...as well as skimming across the top of the water, if you put your feet down, the wet suit will lift you up quite a bit as well (which may make you feel more secure).

The more time you spend in an OWS, the easier it will be...

Best of luck!

2009-09-08 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2394276

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
neuronet - 2009-09-08 8:48 AM

Also, a couple of minutes before start time, I put goggles on, and duck underwater to make sure there are no leaks.

x2. Dip them in the water first so they get a good seal on your face. If you can't dip them in the water, lick them.

2009-09-08 9:44 AM

Regular
swim faster!  
2009-09-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2394369

User image

Master
itsallrelative_camde - 2009-09-08 10:19 AM LMST - the first time I OWS, I headed from the dock straight to the middle of the pond and had a panic attack...a couple of things were recommended to me and now I am MUCH more comfortable:

1) you don't have to swim to the middle - you can swim around the edges where you can always put your feet down if you get spooked.

2) practice siting - choose some landmark that you will swim towards (I try to choose something really bright so it is easy to see), every 8 strokes or so take a look.

3) always go with someone (so you know they can help you if you get in a bad situation)

4) you can lash a boogie board to your ankle and drag it along behind you to use to rest on if you are really uncomfortable

5)  the wetsuit adds an unbelievable amount of boyancy...as well as skimming across the top of the water, if you put your feet down, the wet suit will lift you up quite a bit as well (which may make you feel more secure).

The more time you spend in an OWS, the easier it will be...

Best of luck!

X2 my first OWS was full bore panic. I have been practicing in a quarry near my house and while I am not comfortable, I am less uncomfortable.
Some one has the sig line here "The only way to get beter at climing hills...... is to climb hills.
You can do this, heck you have already done the hard part, doing it the first time, now just do it better. 
2009-09-08 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Thanks to all, I figured it was a "do it more" type thing, but thought I would ask anyway. I am hoping/assuming it will get better with each time.
My next tri is a pool swim. That will be it for the year, as it will be too cold up here(Nebraska).
I am anxiously waiting to get back into the lake to give this a go again.

I am going to Cancun in March, so will plan on doing some swimming there also.
2009-09-08 10:07 AM

User image

Panama City Beach

Let me take a stab at this, since I'm not a beginner or an expert, and I grew up on the lake and live a couple of blocks from the Gulf of Mexico, but I am not very comfortable in the OW. 

First there is the obvious ( at least to people that have done OW swims ) Check everything out first, including goggles, cap, wet suit zipper, ect.  Go into the water at the back of the pack and on the outside.   My first and second OW swims were in groups of about 160 and I never touched anyone.  I was wondering what all the fuss was about, with the talk about the elbows in the washing machine.  It wasn't until I was a much more comfortable swimmer that I wandered into the pack, and by that time I could hold my own.  

Second is not so obvious to some.  For some reason perfectly good (pool) swimmers can panic in the OW.  You can't see the bottom, and if you can your mind sees all kind of things down there, and you’re  in a big body of water with nowhere to go to hold onto something.  Even though we all know in our minds that we don't have to hold onto something, we can just float, it is scary not having that crutch.  I myself have never worried about drowning, I worry about getting eaten.

So my advice for beginners is:
STAY OUT OF THE PACK.  Yes, it is a race, but you have to race smart.  If you lose 30 sec by going in to the water last, you will make that up and more by swimming a nice comfortable race.

Really think and know that you will probably panic at some point during the race.  It might be if something goes wrong, or you are getting bumped, pushed, and feel claustrophobic, or it could be when you are all alone with no one around in a big ocean or lake, but the odds are good it will happen.  Think about this before it happens, and plan on telling yourself that you’re not in danger you’re just scared, and make a plan on how your will calm down.  Just stopping and taking off your goggles and doing the doggie paddle or floating on your back helps allot.   

I hope this helps someone. 

2009-09-08 10:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-08 10:25 AM

Master
Bellevue, WA
There are several things that make people nervous about open water swimming. The solution for most of them is more time swimming in open water (in other words, better preparation).

1. It's usually much colder than the pool. This is the actually dangerous part of OWS, because people "seize up" trying to swim in cold water. It takes your breath away and you may struggle to get it back. You must get used to this, practicing OWS in your wetsuit. Many swim horror stories start with "The water was really cold, and then [bad thing follows]".

Consider plugs for your ears (I'm a fan of Mack's pillow soft plugs, sold at Rite-Aid and the like for $3). They keep the water out and make you much more comfortable. If it's colder than say 65, consider a neoprene swim hat (Blue Seventy and many others sell them).

There is also such a thing as being too hot. My first panic attack was in 75 degree water wearing a full wetsuit (it was warmer than expected) - I got incredibly hot within the first 200 yards, couldn't catch my breath, and it took a few minutes to get my wits back. Consider a sleeveless or a shorty wetsuit if the water temp is > 74.

2. OWS is not the comfortable, controlled environment of the pool. There can be waves and "things" in the water. I've been freaked out by twigs and leaves, let alone a sea turtle I saw under me in a triathlon off Maui. The only long term solution to this is getting used to it by doing open water swimming. Short term, you just have to tell yourself it's no big deal. It's just a twig or leaf. There is nothing in the lake that's going to bother you, especially when hundreds of people are swimming at the same time.

3. The water is deeper than a lap pool and there is no edge of the pool within 12.5 yards. The long term solution for this is getting comfortable in the water by more OWS. The short term solution is to try out your wetsuit in the pool and see just how easy it is to float in one. You are not going to drown in a wetsuit if you stop swimming - just start floating.

4. Getting jostled, bumped, slapped, kicked, and swam over during the event itself. This is part and parcel of 70.3s and full IMs, but a lot less common at smaller Olys and sprints. Long term, after several races you can get used to it but there's nothing good about it. Short term, you position yourself to the back and sides of the pack, find clear water to swim in, and if you find yourself getting banged around, move aside.

My second panic attack was a week ago at Ironman Canada. There was one guy who kept head butting my side, and then in the span of 30 seconds I had been head butted from the right, slapped in the face from the left, my ankles grabbed from behind, then my right arm hooked and my head dunked while breathing so I choked badly. I had a panic reaction right then – I felt incredibly hot, I couldn’t get any air, and a little devil in my head screamed “GET OUT NOW”! Taking a DNF even crossed my mind but that was so WTF it snapped me back to reality so I just treaded water for a bit and did a couple backstrokes to get going, then back to a crawl stroke.

Edited by brucemorgan 2009-09-08 10:29 AM
2009-09-08 10:30 AM

Expert
PA
word for word, you described my first OWS race.  exactly the same thing.  it gets better though.  just keep getting out there and doing it.
2009-09-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2394532

Champion
Northridge, California
wabash - 2009-09-08 8:30 AM word for word, you described my first OWS race.  exactly the same thing.  it gets better though.  just keep getting out there and doing it.

X2.  I'm not a bad swimmer at all...very comfortable in the water and used to swim the 500 free on my HS team years ago...did a bunch of OW practices, even with a group on the (ocean) course for my first tri.  Still had a horrible first tri swim...hyperventilated...had to stop after first turn buoy and breaststroke for a few seconds to regulate my breathing and settle my heart rate.  Until you've done the combination of race-start adrenaline, cold water, and swarming and jostling bodies, you really just don't know exactly what it's like.  Definitely gets easier with experience.
2009-09-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2394526

Veteran
Papillion, NE
brucemorgan - 2009-09-08 10:25 AM There are several things that make people nervous about open water swimming. The solution for most of them is more time swimming in open water (in other words, better preparation). 1. It's usually much colder than the pool. This is the actually dangerous part of OWS, because people "seize up" trying to swim in cold water. It takes your breath away and you may struggle to get it back. You must get used to this, practicing OWS in your wetsuit. Many swim horror stories start with "The water was really cold, and then [bad thing follows]". Consider plugs for your ears (I'm a fan of Mack's pillow soft plugs, sold at Rite-Aid and the like for $3). They keep the water out and make you much more comfortable. If it's colder than say 65, consider a neoprene swim hat (Blue Seventy and many others sell them). There is also such a thing as being too hot. My first panic attack was in 75 degree water wearing a full wetsuit (it was warmer than expected) - I got incredibly hot within the first 200 yards, couldn't catch my breath, and it took a few minutes to get my wits back. Consider a sleeveless or a shorty wetsuit if the water temp is > 74. 2. OWS is not the comfortable, controlled environment of the pool. There can be waves and "things" in the water. I've been freaked out by twigs and leaves, let alone a sea turtle I saw under me in a triathlon off Maui. The only long term solution to this is getting used to it by doing open water swimming. Short term, you just have to tell yourself it's no big deal. It's just a twig or leaf. There is nothing in the lake that's going to bother you, especially when hundreds of people are swimming at the same time. 3. The water is deeper than a lap pool and there is no edge of the pool within 12.5 yards. The long term solution for this is getting comfortable in the water by more OWS. The short term solution is to try out your wetsuit in the pool and see just how easy it is to float in one. You are not going to drown in a wetsuit if you stop swimming - just start floating. 4. Getting jostled, bumped, slapped, kicked, and swam over during the event itself. This is part and parcel of 70.3s and full IMs, but a lot less common at smaller Olys and sprints. Long term, after several races you can get used to it but there's nothing good about it. Short term, you position yourself to the back and sides of the pack, find clear water to swim in, and if you find yourself getting banged around, move aside. My second panic attack was a week ago at Ironman Canada. There was one guy who kept head butting my side, and then in the span of 30 seconds I had been head butted from the right, slapped in the face from the left, my ankles grabbed from behind, then my right arm hooked and my head dunked while breathing so I choked badly. I had a panic reaction right then – I felt incredibly hot, I couldn’t get any air, and a little devil in my head screamed “GET OUT NOW”! Taking a DNF even crossed my mind but that was so WTF it snapped me back to reality so I just treaded water for a bit and did a couple backstrokes to get going, then back to a crawl stroke.

Great advice, especially about the water being colder. It wasn't bad, but definitely colder than what I was used to. I could feel it affecting me differently than the pool.
Also, I don't have a wetsuit so I was just in my swimsuit.

I think it was alot of everything and the unknowns. I will stay back and outside next time and see how that goes. I refuse to let it get the best of me.

2009-09-08 10:57 AM

Champion
Chicago
As disgusting as it is, go swim in Lake Manawa.

It's good practice because if you can swim in that, you can swim in anything. It's like pea soup, filled with weeds and tastes and smells like raw sewage. It's actually clean enough to swim in despite all that.
2009-09-08 11:00 AM

Master
Tyler, TX

A couple things (other than practicing more OW swimming) that help a lot:

1)  Warm up well in the water, which is even more important if the water is cold.  That cold water to the face and body is a major shock; warming up well reduces that shock feeling quite a bit.

2)  Start the race by swimming slowly!  Way too many triathletes let adrenaline and exhuberance get in the way of better judgement and they start swimming far too fast.  You're much better off starting with slow, smooth strokes and making sure your breathing is under control.  Then pick up the pace later if you wish.  FWIW, I'm usually a top 10% swimmer in my wave, yet it seems that I'm often mid-pack at 100 to 200 meters... 

The panic thing happens to the best of us.  Work on it and you'll be fine!

Brian

2009-09-08 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2394623

Veteran
Papillion, NE
famelec - 2009-09-08 11:00 AM
Start the race by swimming slowly!  Way too many triathletes let adrenaline and exhuberance get in the way of better judgement and they start swimming far too fast.  You're much better off starting with slow, smooth strokes and making sure your breathing is under control.  Then pick up the pace later if you wish.  FWIW, I'm usually a top 10% swimmer in my wave, yet it seems that I'm often mid-pack at 100 to 200 meters... 

I really think this is something else I need to work on. My adrenaline is rushing and I take off to fast and can never catch my breath or get into a groove. I need to learn to relax or get situated and then pick up the pace.
2009-09-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2394616

Veteran
Papillion, NE
mr2tony - 2009-09-08 10:57 AM As disgusting as it is, go swim in Lake Manawa. It's good practice because if you can swim in that, you can swim in anything. It's like pea soup, filled with weeds and tastes and smells like raw sewage. It's actually clean enough to swim in despite all that.

I have thought about going over there, as there is a group that swims there, but yes, it is a dump.
I have a couple of private lakes that are somewhat close, I may try to get to in the spring.
2009-09-08 11:43 AM

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
You obviously didn't do your OW drills.

Here is the standard training video:

Edited by Khyron 2009-09-08 11:43 AM

2009-09-08 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2394623

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
famelec - 2009-09-08 9:00 AM

A couple things (other than practicing more OW swimming) that help a lot:

1)  Warm up well in the water, which is even more important if the water is cold.  That cold water to the face and body is a major shock; warming up well reduces that shock feeling quite a bit.

2)  Start the race by swimming slowly!  Way too many triathletes let adrenaline and exhuberance get in the way of better judgement and they start swimming far too fast.  You're much better off starting with slow, smooth strokes and making sure your breathing is under control.  Then pick up the pace later if you wish.  FWIW, I'm usually a top 10% swimmer in my wave, yet it seems that I'm often mid-pack at 100 to 200 meters... 

The panic thing happens to the best of us.  Work on it and you'll be fine!

Brian

x2. It happens to almost all of us. I'd been a 14 year swimmer at my first tri, and I had a bad few moments in the middle when I realized the closest land was 400m away....straight down.

Do it more, stay out of the scrums in the middle for now, and you'll be fine.

John
2009-09-08 12:36 PM

Master
Franklin, TN

My first two OW races were like that, panic attacks and leave the swim dead last.

A couple things that are frequently mentioned on this board are: (If you don't have access to OWS)

Practice with a friend or two in the pool in the same lane. Pass each other, etc and get used to having other swimmers next to (on top of, etc) you.

Also, close your eyes when you do your laps in the pool and only open them when you sight for the end of the lane.

Both of those helped me.

2009-09-08 12:47 PM

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Sounds like my 2nd OWS.  First one was very much like a bayou (slow moving water) than a river.  Stayed to the edge, wetsuit on, it was fine.  2nd in a lake, strong winds, chop, current, you name it we had it (one guy stated about 1/2 thru he puked and felt a little better).  Panicked, got ran over, bi-lat breathing wouldn't work (waves kept going over my head).  I was dead last in the swim (think i set a course record). 

For the person stating they were doing their first OW this weekend.  Remember you can hang onto the kayaks and not get DQ'ed, don't be bashful, use them if you need them.  For me, just knowing they are there helped me mentally.  You don't have to do freestyle, you can backstroke, doggie paddle, do whatever you need to get yourself into a rhythm.
2009-09-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2394727

Khyron - 2009-09-08 11:43 AM
You obviously didn't do your OW drills.

Here is the standard training video:

It's a bit extreme, but it seems like it would be beneficial to do this once or twice before a tri.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Disaster Rss Feed  

of 2