Tri On the Run
84F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 03m 45s
Overall Rank = 1/200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at my Grandparents house so I'd be a bit closer and get a good dinner the night before and lunch after. :)

Woke up, grabbed some food, bathroom and took off!
Event warmup:

I got in a 2mi jog and a 300yd swim in the water.
Swim
  • 06m 56s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Horrible start, I have no idea what happened. I was right behind Trent and Chris, which should of been the best spot in the bunch. The first buoy is probably 175m out, I got there in like 15th or so. I just got destroyed in the washing machine in the beginning. I haven't had that happen to me all this year.

Anyway, I was over that pretty quickly. We're going through the middle section of the swim and this one guy KEPT running into me and swimming all over me. After about the 7th smack in the head, I just reacted and pushed the the guy and told him 'Come on man watch where you're effing going'. I was swimming dead straight, he just sucks at navigation. He pissed me off.

Ended up finishing in 5th from the 39 and under wave. Could of done without the crappy start though, still I swam good and strong after that even with getting a sentence off to the dude who can't correct his navigation problems even after doing the same thing 10 times.
Transition 1
  • 36m
Comments:

Everything went well. Can't think of any complaints.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much.
Bike
  • 37m 47s
  • 15 miles
  • 23.82 mile/hr
Comments:

The course heads through town and you have several tight turns that you have to slow down a lot for. Then you head out over the Cosway bridge which is rather steep. Unfortunatly at the bottom of the bridge there is another tight turn you hae to slow way down for, so you don't get to haul butt after it. Then it's along the beach for a few miles till the turn around. The Roads are better but there is still some dmg/potholes from the hurricane. Somewhat rough roads.

I came out of the water 5th, one of the top fishies was on a Mtb and I don't even remember passing him. The fastest swimmer, a 16yr old kid I caught at about mile 1, which just left Trent and Chris. I caught Trent right at the bottom of the bridge at mile 4, and I caught chris at the top ofthe bridge, quater mile later or so(big bridge). Then we made the tight turn at the bottom to go along the beach, and of no suprise we were going into the wind. Held a hard steady pace till the turn around. Chris was hanging, but I dropped him after the turn around. I just kept the pace steady on the way back. Outside of locking my brakes up and almost sliding into a car.. nothing to note.

I could of done without almost crashig and coming almost to a dead stop right before heading back up the bridge. Otherwise I had a good ride, felt good during the ride. Slow speed, but the course isn't a fast one even if it only has 2 bridge climbs. The roads and turns do slow it down a good bit. Still over a minute faster than anyone else on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Went good. Could of tossed shoes on a bit faster, but eh.. good enough
Run
  • 17m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I took it out hard, with setting the course record in mind. I got to the first mile in 5:43, figured I'd slow up a bit over the 2nd mile just because it's the 2nd mile and it has a bridge to climb. However I figured my last mile would be faster. I was feeling pretty good even though I didn't rest much for the race. After the first mile I knew I could slow up over the next 2 miles and beat the course record, and I had a good size lead on 2nd. While I didn't jog the next two miles, I also didn't run balls out. It also sucks that you can see the finish from about 1.7 miles out. So I can see the finish too far out, I'm in the lead and I'm under the course record. So I slowed up a bit. I told the 3 little boys at mile 2 water station to just throw the water on me. I think I made their day!

While I didn't push the run quite as hard I wanted, it was still a decent run. Good, fun race, I always enjoy it. It was my first triathlon 3 years ago, so it's neat to come back 3 years later to win and set the course record.

Suppose I always say I can push harder, but it holds true for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

3 mile jog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well I had a pretty solid week of training leading into the race, so I'm sure a bit more rested legs could of gone faster. Otherwise, it was a good race.

Last updated: 2009-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:56 | 500 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 9/200
Performance:
Suit:
Course: a odd shape course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 36:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:47 | 15 miles | 23.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/200
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Go through town out to the beach ride along the Gulf for a bit till the turn around.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good