Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-09 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2396946

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Spinning Vs. Bike trainer
Daremo - 2009-09-09 1:41 PM Fine line here.  What Jorge is talking about is improving what everyone refers to as their LT (more accurately their pace at LT).

He is not talking about specific work to improve just VO2 max, which is the short lived gains that you are talking about.

o.k. I thought I had read it was both VO2 and LT which had short lived gains. 

2009-09-09 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2396941

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Bioteknik - 2009-09-09 12:39 PM
JorgeM - 2009-09-09 12:08 PM
Global - 2009-09-09 10:12 AM Spinning is just a lot of high intensity work.  Whether it is the best training you can be doing depends at where you are in your race season, your goals.  Lots of high intensity every workout over the winter probably isn't the best use of your time. 

I vote for a trainer over the winter.  You don't have the instructor motivating you but you are able to chose the type of workouts you want to do.  Not the instructor choosing for you. 
I disagree; in fact I would say doing interval training at threshold, VO2 max and tempo power are among the best things athletes can do during the winter when riding long is limited. Improving your Maximum Lactate Steady State is among the most important adaptations endurance athletes can do year around.

Have you heard that intervals only produce consistent results for about 4 weeks, then adaptions plateau.  This seems to be pretty consistent among studies (unless you've seen otherwise), and confirms the old notion that you should only be doing those sort of workouts to peak for particular races.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this though so if you've got any info that is contrary to what I posted I'm all ears (or eyes in this case). 
 I bolded the key portion of my post. To make it even clearer, by threshold power I am referring to your 60 min maximal effort or the maximal power you can generate on a 60 min all out effort; this intensity closely relates to maximum lactate steady state (MLSS). By VO2Max power I am referring to sessions done @ 106- 120% of your 60 min max power. By Tempo power I am referring to sessions done @ 76-90% of your 60 min max power.

Indeed if you do all your sessions targeting specifically your VO2max for instance most likely you will plateau in a period anywhere between 4-6 weeks, but that will only occur if you are targeting this intensity exclusively and do not adjust your load (levels) as your fitness increase. Nevertheless, I suggested the above range because it allow the athlete to target a broad range of training adaptations that will not only increase his/her fitness substantially but also allow the program to keep a constant dose of stimulus at different intensities which will descrease the risk of plateaus.

In addition, the target of this training adaptations can be optimized by dividing the focus in different cycles (periodization) and including periodic testing; that way every so often the athlete can test for improvements in power and adjust training levels accordingly. This will enable the athlete to constabtly push him/herself at the adeqaute intensity and keep on working towards higher thresholds.

Of course this cycle eventually will have to switch towards specific training based on the athlete's goal distance and the goal should be just maintaince of power threshold while working on the specific needs for the goal distance, no to mention the proper inclusion of unload weeks (recovery) and eventually completely time-off training as recovery before attempting pursue a new threshold. I hope that helps.
2009-09-09 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2397029

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
I don't have much to add on the exercise science portion of this discussion, but as a Spinning instructor myself I can tell you why most Spinning classes do a lot of balls-to-the-wall interval-type work - because base-building and power-focused training is BORING.

Spinning is part exercise and part entertainment.  Most instructors I know find that if you structure classes for base-building and other specific purposes, the 'entertainment' portion of the class suffers and as a result your numbers (attendees) will suffer.

I'm not saying that Spinning is the greatest training ever or that people shouldn't avoid if they are focusing on specifc fitness goals - more power to them.  I'm just saying that Spinning is what it is ... entertainment, combined with sweat, at the gym. 

Basically, I view Spinning as winter 'maintenance' training, but I know that there is no substitute for getting out on the road, and that come springtime I'll need to get a number of long rides in before I'm ready to race again. 

2009-09-09 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2396190

New user

do whatever you can to keep your legs moving.  i spin all winter.  i pay a gym membership and like the camaraderie of the gym.  i don't have a trainer, but i think i would be bored doing it by myself and wouldn't feel the need to push myself.
but everyone is different.  i know what is right for me.
2009-09-09 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran

Before I even got into triathlons, this past winter I started going to spin classes at a local gym.  After trying 4 different instructors I found one that really made the class challenging and fun at the same time.  He does adventure races, single track racing and some longer road rides so he tries to emulate outdoor racing/riding in his classes.  He talks about the kind of hills we are on and does race visualizations and gives advice about outdoor riding.  I have found it really helps keep the class interesting and fun and the hour wizzes by.  When I starting riding outside in the spring I found that I already had good bike fitness and was flying by people in my tri-group on the hills.

2009-09-09 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2397210

User image

Expert
jeffdav - 2009-09-09 3:18 PM

I don't have much to add on the exercise science portion of this discussion, but as a Spinning instructor myself I can tell you why most Spinning classes do a lot of balls-to-the-wall interval-type work - because base-building and power-focused training is BORING.

Spinning is part exercise and part entertainment.  Most instructors I know find that if you structure classes for base-building and other specific purposes, the 'entertainment' portion of the class suffers and as a result your numbers (attendees) will suffer.

I'm not saying that Spinning is the greatest training ever or that people shouldn't avoid if they are focusing on specifc fitness goals - more power to them.  I'm just saying that Spinning is what it is ... entertainment, combined with sweat, at the gym. 

Basically, I view Spinning as winter 'maintenance' training, but I know that there is no substitute for getting out on the road, and that come springtime I'll need to get a number of long rides in before I'm ready to race again. 

That is very true. The loud, fast, crazy, classes are the fastest to fill up. I call and register when the center opens. If you wait 15mn to call, you are going to be on the wait list for the next days class. There is another class that is great from a base building/tempo standpoint. It is exhausting in a different way and I end up feeling more tired at the end than the high energy class...but that class is always half full. Is it as much fun? No. That class usually has people who actually ride a bike. The manical, over-the-top class is usually a bunch of people who do not own a road bike.

2009-09-09 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

I don't think spinning is a waste of time.  I prefer the spin bike to using the trainer.  I like being with other people and feed off the energy in the room...but sometimes I also will jump on the spin bike when there is no class as well.  I usually do my own workouts and not what the instructor is telling the class.  In fact, last winter I did Jorge's cycling program on the spin bike at the gym.  another eason I don't like using my bike and trainer...I sweat...alot!  I would rather sweat on the bike at the gym than my own bike and floor at home.

2009-09-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2397340

User image

Master
nerak11 - 2009-09-09 4:01 PM

Before I even got into triathlons, this past winter I started going to spin classes at a local gym.  After trying 4 different instructors I found one that really made the class challenging and fun at the same time.  He does adventure races, single track racing and some longer road rides so he tries to emulate outdoor racing/riding in his classes.  He talks about the kind of hills we are on and does race visualizations and gives advice about outdoor riding.  I have found it really helps keep the class interesting and fun and the hour wizzes by.  When I starting riding outside in the spring I found that I already had good bike fitness and was flying by people in my tri-group on the hills.

We have several instructors Two of which are great exactly like you describe. One does Tri's with her husband.
They do three types of workouts Strength, Endurance, and Intervals, They have "Race days" once every 3 months. I have also spoken to them and they have no problem with me "Going off workout". If my plan calls for an interval run and they are doing Speed, They have no problem with me doing my own thing.
They even let me do bricks where I Spin for 30-45 minutes of Spinning then hi the Dreadmill for a run.
2009-09-09 4:33 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Being a Spinning Instructor, I certainly hope it isn't a waste of time! Is it an exact replacement for the bike - of course not, but for training purposes and variety, I believe it compliments the bike beautifully! I teach 4x a week, sometimes more and don't get out on my bike as much as I could like, but when I do, I feel all the training I do inside is worth while and can keep up with my training partners with no problem.
As other posters have said, the key is finding an instructor who uses the profiles for a PURPOSE...not just spin your guts out until you puke. I don't believe in that and I believe my students appreciate that I break up my classes into interval/strength and endurance. I also do several workouts based on Chris Carmichael traiing principles, Lactate threshold training and Power intervals. It just depends on the instructor and their background. Typically, the most popular classes at the gym aren't necessarily the best for a 'cyclist'. Some people like to be entertained on the bike, like to change positions every 30 seconds and like to do movements that us cyclists would NEVER even think of doing. To each his own. All I know is I teach a safe and effective workout that is attended by several people training for Ironmans, cycling events or just general fitness. If I have a student that needs to do their own thing, I just ask that it not be disruptive to my class and I am fine with it. The beauty of indoor cycling is you can take it easy when you need to, push it when you can. The instructor and their 'vision' for the class makes the difference, so look around, ask around and I am sure you will find one that suits you!
Saying all this, I do also have a trainer at home that is very convenient for when the weather isn't ideal, I can't get out due to kids, schedules etc and like it for variety.

Edited by runspingirl 2009-09-09 4:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning Vs. Bike trainer Rss Feed  

of 2