General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Qualifiers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-10 3:06 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Boston Qualifiers
Couple (okay, several) questions - if you are a BQ, did it surprise you?  Did it surprise your SO?   If it was a surprise, will you go to boston?  Will your SO?  Did your SO BQ?  If you have already done this, was the experience worth it???

I'm racing IMMoo in 3 days.  Then CdA in June.  Trying to decide whether or not to add Boston in.  I think that I really want to....but it's lots of time and money and SO isn't behind this one.

Any thoughts, experiences?

2009-09-10 4:33 AM
in reply to: #2398160

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Boston Qualifiers
velcromom - 2009-09-10 4:06 AM Couple (okay, several) questions - if you are a BQ, did it surprise you?  Did it surprise your SO?   If it was a surprise, will you go to boston?  Will your SO?  Did your SO BQ?  If you have already done this, was the experience worth it???

I'm racing IMMoo in 3 days.  Then CdA in June.  Trying to decide whether or not to add Boston in.  I think that I really want to....but it's lots of time and money and SO isn't behind this one.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Have you ever ran the Boston marathon?  If you haven't and you've qualified then you should!  I ran my first Boston Marathon this past year and it was an INCREDIBLE experience!  One that I will remember forever.  If you qualified I say take advantage of it...who knows if you'll ever get another chance in life to do it?  Don't take your qualifying for granted.  It doesn't have to be expensive either.  We rented an appartment and split it with it with four other friends so it was relatively inexpensive.  The flights were most of the cost and if you keep your eyes peeled on flights from now til then you should be able to get a decent flight. 

Running Boston is the 'icing on the cake' and is the reward for doing so well...I'd say GO FOR IT!

Good luck!

Leanne
2009-09-10 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Boston is a great experience! I have done it several times and loved every one of them. It all comes down to your goals though. If you are trying to do the fastest Cda you can, you will need to be holding back at Boston, which is hard to do with all the excitement. If you aren't going for a pr/kona slot at cda, then I would go for Boston too if you can afford it. My SO has never run a marathon and has only ever gone along for support.
2009-09-10 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2398256

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
My first qualifying time was not a surprise as it was what I trained to do.  The second one was because it was in a training "C" race and 3 weeks before IMFL.

I ran Boston twice and both times had miserable races.  The first time I went by myself and the second time I brought the wife and we made a get-away weekend out of it.  Plus it was the women's olympic qualifying race that weekend so got to watch those ladies flying around near where we stayed.  Really cool experience.
2009-09-10 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Depends on your goals for the year.  I think it is pretty common for people to race boston, then race their IM later that year, and then to reflect back and say that the Boston training actually hurt their IM performance (not enough bike time, development of running injuries, etc).

2009-09-10 10:56 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, California
Boston is an awesome experience.  If you can do it, do it.  You will remember it forever.  I was not surprised when I qualified but that was because the only reason I signed up for my qualifying race was to qualify for Boston.  I picked a fast course to make it relatively easy.  My wife, who runs but does not have the speed to qualify, loved going to Boston as did our kids.  We all had a really great time on a mini-vacation with a incredible race as part of the experience.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Qualifiers Rss Feed