Triple Sports
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 58/123
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/34
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3 AM...ugh. Packed a few last things, ate a cup of yougurt, piece of bread with PB and grabbed a granola bar for later. Hopped in the car for the long drive to Anthem
Event warmup:

Not a whole lot, but more than last race. Ran a bit around the field by the run start point.
Swim
  • 10m 30s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I managed to get a pretty clear spot of water in the pool so I didn't have a lot of other people around me until about half way through the swim. it did get a little crazy with people walking and stoppiing. I let a few guys go in front of me, but passed several people. I still suck at swimming and at the end I felt like my arms were just dragging my body through the water. I often found myself forgetting to kick or just half-a$$ kicking. Really need to get a swim coach soon before these terrible habits set in. At least I didn't do any sidestroke, frog stroke like I had in the Tempe International. Better step it up for Nathan's though.
What would you do differently?:

Get a swim coach and not forget to take off my race belt.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Bike to swim was also an easy transition. I thought I had remembered everything...shoes off, socks off, sunglasses down, helmet off, goggles in hand. Then as I quickly walked into the pool area, I realized I left my race belt on. Quickly took it off and threw it to the side and hopped in the pool.

Remember to take off my racebelt in the transition area.
Bike
  • 43m 27s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

The course is pretty decent, but the parts of the course that are on smaller roads got pretty crowded and some people were turning very wide and a little unpredictable. To pass on these parts I had to veer out of the 'coned' off area. The long, gradual downhill section was great and I tried to hammer it on that part of the course. 3 loops total and pretty fast.

I probably could have gained a lot of time it I would have hit the hill a little harder at the start of each loop, otherwise it all went pretty well and I didn't crash my bike like I did in training the week before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

The run to bike transition is really pretty easy. Toss on the cyclig shoes and the helmet and hit the road.

nothing. I imagine my total transition (including the run w/ bike throught transition) was about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes.
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I started in wave 2 of the run and was in the middle of the pack. Everybody started on a standard sidewalk, so it was really crowded. I passed quite a few people on the side and in the rocks on the downhill leg. the second half of the run was a long, gradual uphill climb. I managed to stay pretty strong throughout the whole run. I'm normally a 10 minute/mile runner, so 8 min, 20 sec/mile is great for me. It helped being able to pace off of other people and having fresh legs.

Not much other than maybe push my way to the front of my wave for the race start.

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:30 | 437 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/123
Performance: Average
Suit: Just the tri suit
Course: Anthem community pool. Crazy crowded and very tired after the other two. Reverse sprint...started with the run. Sun finally started to come out for the swim after being nice and overcast for the run and bike.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:27 | 14 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops around the roads of Anthem. Some portions had a dedicated lane of the road to cyclists, other segments just had cones set up along the bike lane. BT says it's 14 miles, but maybe it was closer to 12? 19.3 mph seems pretty fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:51 | 03.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Course: Sidewalk and road path around Anthem.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes