General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Racing Underground
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 34m 52s
Overall Rank = 14/455
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/43
Pre-race routine:

Camped the night before at Cherry Creek. Got a new air matress made a great improvement. More relaxed day prior. 35 week pregnant wife was a trooper and got us all moving on race day. We took a wrong turn getting to the race site so we were rushed but I choked down my bagels with PB. Got the kids some hot choclate and us a big coffee. Long story short a little chaotic before the race.
Event warmup:

Got a little run in maybe 1/2 mile to the porta potty. prayed with the kids and put the new wet suit on (Xterra pro). Got about 200 meter warm up in the water. The water was way warmer than the outside air temp so it was nice to hang out and float. That's when I realize how cold it was....my finger constricted so much that my wedding ring that I never take off (worn thru 4 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan) was loose so with less than 1 minute from the start I ran out of the water from the front of the pack and gave my ring to the wife and gave a kiss to my three year who screamed because I was getting her wet and ran back to my "spot"
Swim
  • 26m 55s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Sholders got surprisingly tight and tired. With new suit had a hard time getting a body good roll was surprised at how fast everyone was. I was desparately trying to find some feet didn't on the way out and on the back surged to jump on a train and swam maybe 300 meters with them and then got dropped because I could stay on the feet
What would you do differently?:

Find some feet and work at keeping on them!
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Didn't want to jack up the new wetsuit so I was gentle on the removal process. I also elected for socks because I was cool.

not much
Bike
  • 2h 32m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Speedometer went out 2.1 miles into it as I hit a pothole getting my armwarmers on. Glad I put the socks on and had the arm warmers at the ready. Pace was good early on, didn't let myself get into racing until the end. Raced a bit toward the end because I was on track for such a good bike split for me. Concerns were that my rear derailler was acting up. I'm not sure if it is was because of the profile bottle or getting dinged up on travel up. Other thing was that my neck cramped up at about 50 miles need to stay on my neck stretching program
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

No worries. My 9 year old was waiting for me on his bike right outside of T2 to cheer me on
Run
  • 1h 33m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good, my boy kept me pumped up. I did 15-30 seconds walk breaks at 2,4,6,8, and 10 aid stations. Mentally it is so much better to walk intentionally instead of being humbled into walking.

Get a few more long runs in before.
Post race
Warm down:

Got really cold. Drank some carbs

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Volume of training

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:55 | 1931 meters | 01m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/43
Overall: 37/455
Performance: Good
158 HR
Suit: Xterra pro X2 full
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:32:33 | 56 miles | 22.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/43
Overall: 21/455
Ave HR - 149
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop with lots of rolling hills my mapping program said around 1550 of climbing it felt like more....
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:33:16 | 13.1 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/43
Overall: 22/455
Course: rolling hills around Aurora Rez. way more hills than I thought.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 11:25 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2009-09-13 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2403142

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon
Great work billy. You mentioned that the wetsuit felt tight - not too tight?
What are the neck stretching routine that you have? My neck gets pretty sore on longer rides.
What bike seat are you rolling with? I am looking at upgrading seats.
2009-09-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2403142

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Awesome race! I remember seeing your kid riding by you on the bike course, that was pretty cool!
2009-09-14 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2403368

User image

Regular
spathrw - 2009-09-13 1:53 PM

Great work billy. You mentioned that the wetsuit felt tight - not too tight?
What are the neck stretching routine that you have? My neck gets pretty sore on longer rides.
What bike seat are you rolling with? I am looking at upgrading seats.

Bobby - I did not say the wetsuit felt tight but made my sholders tighten up. Wetsuit was great but I think all wetsuits with bouyancy change your stroke in one way or another. This one has less than others but the lack of roll that I sited made swimming "normal" hurt my sholders. I'll adjust to the wetsuit.

Just moving around the cockpit and getting out of the aero position. I think I have residual injuries from rugby that cause my neck to tighten up if I fix in the same spot for a long period of time.

I'm rolling standard cervelo seat. I think that (time in the saddle) is the best cure for saddle pain.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed